New DIY stuff day (Pedals and things)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Nov 20, 2017.

1. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

they can be subbed. pn2222 just seems to have higher specs and is in a TO-92 package vs TO-18

2. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That is interesting. I have a bunch of J201s, but I bought them like 10 years ago or something from somewhere like SmallBear. I didn't realize they became so scarce, lol. I think the only thing I used them in though was my Dr. Boogie.

I got some IC sockets and such from Tayda. Maybe some photoresistors for a phaser, but I think that is about it. I mostly stick to Small Bear, and then Mouser for resistors.

I went on a binge and built like 15 pedals, but been out of it for the last year or 2. I still have parts to make a few things, like the VH4 clone. I see PedalPCB has a bunch of new cool ones. I should look into SMT soldering. I don't have the tools for it, but they have a bunch of cool looking FV-1 boards.

4. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

there's been an FV-1 shortage for several weeks now. apparently some supply problems at the fab. all of the suppliers who have stock have put it on reserve for the big builders like Keeley et al. I have a couple of FV-1 that i've been messing with and it's SUCH an amazing platform to develop DSP-based effects with.

5. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

20190911_164656.jpg Waiting on a few chips that will be in by the weekend , but the Isosceles Boost and Dwarven Hammer is the ones I'm excited about..

Mike

Ribboz and mnemonic like this.
  6. Mourguitars

Very cool pedal build to boost my 5150 pre , does the trick well..adds great sustain . The rotary switch as it goes up adds brightness 8 modes . Didn't have a JRC4558DD chip but put in a JRC4558D its kinda noisy , but ill get the DD chip or can i try different chips ? Any recommendations will be welcome ...

Went all Black on this one...

Mike

https://imgur.com/eXtnITC

https://imgur.com/atlM7K1

Ribboz and mnemonic like this.
  7. Mourguitars

How do i load the image , not a link ?

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Imgur blocks hotlinking to this site, you’ll have to use something like www.postimg.cc or www.imgbb.com, then put the tags around the link that ends in .jpg (or .png, or whatever format your image is).

Pedal looks great though! I’ve wanted to try building that one but I haven’t yet got around to ordering more pcb’s

Mourguitars likes this.
  9. Mourguitars

20190914_181858.jpg

20190914_182828.jpg

Wonder Drive ( pedalpcb )...very cool and great sounding build...really tightens up the low end and has a bite control...my Kartakou pre takes it well ! Mike

10. Mourguitars

20190913_224625.jpg 20190913_224255.jpg

Dwarven Hammer ( pedalpcb ) ..got the image to load, got a few more builds to do but i really like these so far...

Mike

11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Very clean work, looks great

12. Mourguitars

Thanks !

Yea they are getting a little better , i really like the modern T.S circuits, tighter on the low end than the classics.

Got the magical diodes coming in this week for my Queen of bone 2 build , so going to inventory my parts order what I'm low on and most likely Jam out today...

Mike

mnemonic likes this.
  13. Mourguitars

20190915_134223.jpg

20190915_134250.jpg

Play day today...these pedals sound awesome with that $50 ibanez i put a Norton in...Chug away !

Might try the Blackstar clean channel and effects loop with the BEOD clone thru a vet30/ greenback 2x12 cab later..having to much fun at the moment ..

My bigger rack with the tube power amps aren't seeing to much love as of late..the rig above sure is !

Later

Mike

14. Mourguitars

20190919_153803.jpg 20190919_153635.jpg Distortion 250 pedalpcb clone...seen a AMS video with a Randy Rhoads style with this sent up with the MXR 10 band Eq....its very close . Noon on the dials on the Kartakou pre , gain maybe 8:30ish..got close but added mids to 2pm and sounded pretty great ! Lower the gain a tad more and you that Def Lep High 'n' Dry tone

Haven't played that stuff in ages !

Mike

Shask, technomancer and mnemonic like this.
  15. Mourguitars

20190920_105823.jpg

SMD J201's...wasnt so bad soldering a fleas legs to a tick so to speak, they all tested better than those eBay J201's i bought on the bay...dont buy from there, word from the wise

Building a Tommy and a Queen of Bone 2 ( bought the magic diodes ) this weekend, Was going to build my third attempt at the T.C boost and Grind with the Isosceles Boost but I'm missing 3 odd sized resistors...

Mike

Shask, technomancer and mnemonic like this.
  16. Mourguitars

20190920_205444.jpg

20190920_205042.jpg Queen of Bone 2...fun build , dead quite used a MAX1044 in IC3, 1s1588 diodes in both sides,
    socketed them. Wasn't going to spend almost $3 each for MA856 diodes...ill try some others i have in one side and compare..havent figured out the Dip switch does yet but will tomorrow !

Mike

Ribboz and technomancer like this.
  17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have thought about a DOD 250, but not sure I would like it. I had the YJM drive years ago I never really used. I tend to do best with Tubescreamer types.

Looks good! PedalPCB makes it easy to make them look nice! I think the main difference in mine is that I used shielded cable between the jacks and the switch (the long runs).

Mourguitars likes this.
  18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Living on the edge! lol. I find this very interesting. I have thought about getting SMT equipment so that I could do more of the projects, like the FV-1 based projects, like all the reverbs and such. I have soldered for years, but not sure if I would be great at SMT.

Mourguitars likes this.
  19. Mourguitars

Just read that the FV-1 chips there's a manufacturing shortage..kinda still unknown when they will be made available again...Ya sparked my interest Shask, but i guess its back to the Od's and Distortions pedals...they build these so quite these days..pretty amazing

20. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

The fv-1 is totally doable with a standard soldering iron. I’ve done many of them with a fine tip with no problem. Just use flux and you’ll be good.