New DIY stuff day (Pedals and things)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Man, that seems extreme. I would think that would be very bright, scratchy, and thin sounding. Not to mention noisy. I think my favorite settings have been treble around 1 o'clock, and bass 9-10 o'clock, depending on how tight I want it.

2. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Yeah I was actually shocked the setting sounded good going into the Cameron. I almost never run the 33 all the way up, but have seen a lot of demo vids like that so figured I'd give it a shot while I had both pedals hooked up :lol:

It is definitely very amp dependent, I think I was using the 33 at 1/4 or 1/2 into the Dual Rec.

Shask and mnemonic like this.
  3. technomancer

So why is it that, inevitably, 10 minutes after submitting a Mouser order you realize you forgot a handful of stuff :lol:

Kyle Jordan, Shask and steinmetzify like this.
  4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Another necrobump for this old thread because I made some more stuff.

I wanted to use nice caps this time, so I ordered a bunch of Wimas from mouser. Luckily they have a big selection and the measurements are right there on the site, so I can make sure I get ones that fit (I've made that mistake more than once in the past).

Resistors are mostly a mishmash of what I had on hand, since I have a lot. They're all low tolerance metal films though. I'm gonna try to whittle down my collection and then just start ordering just one brand from mouser, that way they all look the same.

First up is a clone of a BBE Sonic Maximiser which I finished earlier in the week.

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

Another quality masking job courtesy of the worlds cheapest masking tape.

I wanted to build this since I've always been curious what these sounded like and what they actually did. The internet hate brigade really goes hard on the sonic maximizers, I just had to know for myself if they were right. After doing some research, apparently they are simply State Variable Filters, which is a type of EQ which has high pass (lo contour), low pass (process) and band pass (fixed and set flat). You can do all that with regular ol' TL072's, so no need for their proprietary chip.

The PCB / schematic for this one was missing off a 39k resistor, which controls the band pass, and was basically fixing it at -12db with the resistor gone. So upon plugging it in, it basically sounded like the original release of Human by Death. No mids at all, sounded like my ears needed to pop. I thought, surely that isn't right. I did some research and found some other schematics, and sure enough, missing resistor. I just put a jumper on the PCB for the resistor, and now its working as it should.

Sound-wise, its pretty much flat with the controls at 0, so its boost-only. Its pretty useful with my valvestate, turning the contour up to about half adds some of the low end that it kinda lacks. The process I keep low, since that adds a ton of high end. If you had a really dull amp I could see it being useful, but it does get grating when turned up too high.

It doesn't work so great with my Jet City head, since it has a line-level effects loop and that clips the pedal's input, even when I used a 27 volts power supply. I'm not even gonna try it with my recto, that has more than enough low end and high end. Overall I think it is useful if you have a cheap amp, or a low-fi sounding setup. I can see how it would be popular for PA systems.

Next thing I just finished today, a clone of the Friedman Buxom Boost, which gets some great reviews, like all the friedman pedals. Its another excellent one.

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

This is a real excellent sounding pedal. It uses a charge pump so you only feed it 9 volts, and converts that to a bi-polar supply internally.

It has a ton of volume on tap. I think its probably the loudest pedal I've ever used. My amp gets a little squirrelly running the boost over half way, as thats already a ton of boost. The tight control works the same as on the BE-OD. The EQ doesn't really have a ton of range though. It works excellent as a boost to tighten up an amp, it makes my Jet City head really heavy sounding, this is for sure a keeper that will be going on my pedalboard.

I think I may try messing around with some of the part values that control the Tight control though. I kind of wish it had a bit more range and could cut more bottom end.

Next I will do another tubescreamer, but this time I'm gonna socket a bunch of parts and try doing some of the usual mods, see if I can make something a bit different from the other tubescreamer clones I've built.

I've also ordered the parts to make a tube buffer pedal. Its pretty simple and there aren't a ton of parts, its mainly the power that becomes an issue, since the tube heaters need 12vdc, and the plates need about 300vdc. I found some really cheap dc to dc converters on ebay that will convert 12 volts into anywhere from 0 to 400+ volts, and they seem to work, so that will be my power supply. I just need to find a big enough drill bit to fit a tube socket next.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Having built tube chassis in the past I'd recommend a metal punch for a hole that size.

However if you can find a step drill bit that gets big enough that's probably even better. Those are amazing for drilling holes in panels.

mnemonic likes this.
  6. technomancer

This would do it...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FZ2UOY/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

IIRC 12AX7 socket mounting hole is 7/8". I've got a slightly smaller set of these and used them for working on a steel chassis recently in my drill press and they worked great. No idea how they'll hold up long term, but so far they've been great.

0rimus and mnemonic like this.
  7. mnemonic

I asked my dad and he luckily has a step bit that is large enough, so at some point in the next couple weeks I’ll head down to my parents house and grab it.

He got a set of them from Aldi for really cheap, wish I had seen them. My drill bits are getting pretty dull.

technomancer likes this.
  8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

One step bit will last you a while and do pretty much any hole you need on a chassis. They're awesome.

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have had a Unibit for like 20 years. It has always worked great. Just recently after building all those pedals it started to get dull.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Very cool! Those are actually 2 of the ones I want to build of the new ones he has posted. I just haven't been in pedal building mode.

Years ago I had a BBE Stinger pedal. This was years before BBE made pedals, and it was very rare and hard to find. I had the same impression. It made the VS100H I had sound more like a tube amp, and the 5150 Head I had sound more like a Solid State amp, lol. I don't think I have used one since, except for the VST Plugin I had.

Kind of annoying about the resistor, but I have found that on a few different PCBs. The last one was the Sea Machine clone I made. That one was kind of a pain in the a$$, and I don't think I have made another since.

I definitely want to try that Buxom Boost also. It seems like a cool pedal that is really not like other boosts and is unique. Yeah, the tight control on my BE-OD clone is not nearly as drastic as the tight control on my Tightmetal clone. That thing gets super thin when you crank it, lol.

11. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

Back in the day I had a bbe sonic maximizer rack that was the required accessory for my MP-1 preamp. Those two sounded heavenly together.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  12. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Kind of crazy that the sonic maximizer can be fit in that tiny of a box. The only one I've ever used was a 1u rack unit.

13. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

So I finally got around to putting together 1 (of 4) 100watt pwr-amps from ebay. These were about $5 I think.
    I plugged my line 6 hd500 into it, and it into my marshall mg412b cab. Sounds really good! I don't think I'd make this my #1 rig, but i'll definitely keep it in my bag for a backup.

using my hm300 box :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mnemonic likes this.
  14. buriedoutback

Almost forgot. I added leds to my diy 5150 footswitch. I made one for my buddy/other guitar player too, in black.
    [​IMG]

15. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

You put it in a cardboard box? Amazing. Also possibly dangerous.

16. buriedoutback

naaaaaaaaah. well maybe, i dunno.
    I screwed rigid foam 'feet' to the bottom of the "amp" to keep it a couple inches off he bottom and improve air flow. It's just a temporary situation until I can get something better.

17. mnemonic

Haha, nice enclosure. I guess it could cause issues if it got too hot though, like LiveOVErdrive said.

About two weeks ago I was bored and I found a veroboard layout for the ‘mockman’ which is supposedly a simple DIY version of the Scholz Rockman (of Boston fame). I had all the parts to make it except an enclosure so I stuck it into the box of my old broken Xbox power supply. Not quite as ghetto as yours though haha

81169E42-C88F-48E0-A60D-506D11DD8A2F.jpeg

9BFA055E-A5A0-4A91-B7AB-B3601F9B3629.jpeg

No eq, gain level is fixed, just a volume knob and a ‘voicing’ switch which does almost nothing.

It sounds pretty cool though!

18. buriedoutback

Love it! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

19. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Finally got around to milling some pcbs on my cnc machine. Works pretty good, though I need a different hold down method to keep them flatter. IMG_20180911_175348.jpg
    This is for an amp build I'm working on. I'll share more details when it works :)

technomancer, mnemonic and Shask like this.
  20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Very cool. I used to program CNC machines to make circuit boards, and did some pretty crazy stuff for the Military. These kind of remind me of some of those things I made back then.