New Dingwall String Tree ?

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While on wait for my NG3 which is a story I've briefly mentioned on other threads , I contacted them about the ETA ( and got a wonderful email , their customer service has been great ) when I noticed an Instagram story they posted , which I want to presume is my exact bass as I was told Peter , their sales guy would look into . It seems like the newer models have some sort of ball based string tree type design .

Here is a screenshot of the exact picture ;

Screenshot_20220614-221329_Instagram.jpg

And from memory , my original NG3 had a more standardized tree , so I looked it up and couldn't find any information regarding an update with the new one . Here is the original ones that are throughout all models I've seen ;

20220331_114006_1946x.jpg

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this , and if it was due to manufacturing times or part shortages ( which are still rampant in all types of careers ) or if it has a benefit of being more reliable or stable . I'm guessing they are thread-in parts made of a material similar to the nut . I'm also wondering if it'll effect string gauges , as I plan on going F# - G instead of B - C on the 6 , and I don't have a B string to get an idea of the thickness of the end . Doubt it , but something to look into .

I do enjoy the look of the updated version far more . Can someone else chime in ?

Edit : on the new tiffany blue colourway , the standard string tree is present . Maybe it's a different for 4 / 5 / 6 string versions ?

Last edited:

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While on wait for my NG3 which is a story I've briefly mentioned on other threads , I contacted them about the ETA ( and got a wonderful email , their customer service has been great ) when I noticed an Instagram story they posted , which I want to presume is my exact bass as I was told Peter , their sales guy would look into . It seems like the newer models have some sort of ball based string tree type design .

Here is a screenshot of the exact picture ;

View attachment 109172

And from memory , my original NG3 had a more standardized tree , so I looked it up and couldn't find any information regarding an update with the new one . Here is the original ones that are throughout all models I've seen ;

View attachment 109173

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this , and if it was due to manufacturing times or part shortages ( which are still rampant in all types of careers ) or if it has a benefit of being more reliable or stable . I'm guessing they are thread-in parts made of a material similar to the nut . I'm also wondering if it'll effect string gauges , as I plan on going F# - G instead of B - C on the 6 , and I don't have a B string to get an idea of the thickness of the end . Doubt it , but something to look into .

I do enjoy the look of the updated version far more . Can someone else chime in ?

Edit : on the new tiffany blue colourway , the standard string tree is present . Maybe it's a different for 4 / 5 / 6 string versions ?
From what I've seen on their social media, I think the string tree is there on the 4 and 5 string models. The 6 string has the individual nodules that the strings go through. I don't own a Dingwall though and I could be completely wrong

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I figured you gentlemen were right until I looked more up , and it's a mix . I'm 99% certain mine had the tree , and the same model online has the tree .

_l4a4484.jpg

I actually enjoy the look of this tree more than the balls , not a big deal , but it's the little things . Curious as to what I'll get . I'm hoping it'll be the tree ; it will most likely be easier for the tuning I want .

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The balls seem rubberized. Are they maybe more to dampen sympathetic vibrations than the break angle over the nut?
* laughs in palm muting with a pick *

But ya that's a good assumption . There's always fretwraps for that though . You think the end of a 140 B string would fit through that ball ?

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
I figured you gentlemen were right until I looked more up , and it's a mix . I'm 99% certain mine had the tree , and the same model online has the tree .

View attachment 109201

I actually enjoy the look of this tree more than the balls , not a big deal , but it's the little things . Curious as to what I'll get . I'm hoping it'll be the tree ; it will most likely be easier for the tuning I want .
That exact model you share in this post has the individual rubber ball string holders. Here's another picture from the same dealer.
_l4a4482.jpg

LordIronSpatula

A series of interconnected fortune cookies.
Reaction score
The 3D-printed individual string trees were introduced on the first run of Combustion/NG six strings and have been used since. I believe Sheldon said the six string headstock didn't accommodate the bar-style retainer. (Canadian made six strings have tilt headstocks and don't need anything.)

Hard to see in pics but each of the individual retainers has a tiny Dingwall logo on top.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
Oh wow those are 3d printed? I assumed it was a similar material to the "Dingwall" knobs on the Canadian made basses.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I might be wrong but I don't think those are holes in a ball, they look more like hooks with an opening on the side, meaning I don't think you'll have an issue using larger gauges. Totally could be wrong though.

LordIronSpatula

Reaction score
I might be wrong but I don't think those are holes in a ball, they look more like hooks with an opening on the side, meaning I don't think you'll have an issue using larger gauges. Totally could be wrong though.
This is correct. Unless you have an incredibly thick string that isn't tapered at that point (unlikely) you'll be fine. Plenty of guys are running low F/F# on these, which I meant to mention it in my last post but forgot haha.

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh no way , I didn't think they would be hooks . Makes more sense . I ordered my first one September 2020 , and I'm still 99% certain it had the tree so I guess I most of got one of the last ones with that design .

Hey @LordIronSpatula , how are you liking yours ? And what tuning do you have it .

Thanks everyone for the explanations and taking time to provide pictures as well . I appreciate it !

LordIronSpatula

Reaction score
Oh no way , I didn't think they would be hooks . Makes more sense . I ordered my first one September 2020 , and I'm still 99% certain it had the tree so I guess I most of got one of the last ones with that design .

Hey @LordIronSpatula , how are you liking yours ? And what tuning do you have it .

Thanks everyone for the explanations and taking time to provide pictures as well . I appreciate it !
My NG is from the very first batch of six strings. I think I picked it up in early 2019. The import sixes had these individual 3D printed string retainers from the very beginning, whereas the fours and fives still use the single metal bar.

I like mine a lot. It's still just in B standard, though I've tried tuning to drop A with the stock strings and it was pretty good. The neck is great, a lot thinner from front to back than I expected having read reviews of previous Combustions. I love the short scale length for the high C and find that aspect of the design just as practical as the extra-long B, surprisingly. My only real complaint is that the 18mm bridge spacing is wider than my other sixes, making the neck wide enough in some areas that I have to use different fingerings on the B than I normally would. I also think I would prefer the 3x pickup switch over the D-Bird switch that came in the earliest batches, although I really do like the "middle solo" setting. I may go for a custom six-way switch at some point.

Mwoit

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Huh interesting. I have 2 ABZ6 basses, and neither of them have a string tree. 2011 and 2014 models.

LordIronSpatula

Reaction score
Huh interesting. I have 2 ABZ6 basses, and neither of them have a string tree. 2011 and 2014 models.
The Canadian models have compound-angle tilt-back headstocks. Flat headstocks are used on the import basses to cut production costs, hence the need for string retainers.

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Flat headstocks are used on the import basses to cut production costs, hence the need for string retainers.

Looked up the prices, and holy fuck, $2.3k. With 3d printed custom plastic string retainers. Neat.