New Devin Townsend, The Puzzle, is out

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by brector, Dec 3, 2021.

1. brector

brector SS.org Regular

2. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I quickly skimmed the playlist on Youtube, are there any actual songs on this?

3. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Listened to it this morning. Not my kind of Townsend but hopefully others enjoy it I guess.

4. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

Man, I fucking love DT but i dont get this album at all. It just seems like a bunch of random ambient soundscapes without any real melody, vocals, or....anything at all. Fuck, super dissapointed in this.

5. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I didn't even hear about this, but if it's part 3 of Devlab/The Hummer there's probably a reason why.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I listened a bit, and while I think these would have all been excellent interludes between more proper songs, I'm definitely in the camp of wanting some more fleshed out material.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yeeeeeah judging by the reception this seems like a return to that ambient drone sound. Sounds like this'll be for the super-hardcore Devy fans.

8. Frostod

Frostod SS.org Regular

The Puzzle/Snuggle are his new ambient albums, his soundtrack to covid as he said.
    But he is already in the mixing stage of his next album Lightwork that will be more traditional

Razerjack and TheInvisibleHand like this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Great to see Diego got a new job so quickly!

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Yeah, listening to his podcast, this is basically what I expected. He confirmed the next traditional album, Lightwork, is coming in the spring.
    I'm digging this. It's like The Hummer mixed with Zappa and a pinch of Mr. Bungle. Haven't listened to Snuggle yet.

11. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

I'm a long time Devin fan (since the very start of Strapping). Love his earlier DTP stuff. Including the less heavy stuff like 'Ghost' - I flippin' love that album. But since then I have enjoyed his stuff less and less. Feels like he's just pumping out material and doesn't spend anywhere near as much time on the songs/albums as he once did.

BlackMastodon and Triple7 like this.
  12. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Same, I caught Strapping on the City tour and was an instant uber-fan. City, Ocean Machine and Terria were my absolute world shifting albums of the early stuff, the rest I liked at the time but in retrospect not so much. I now seem to connect with every fourth or fifth album, usually when he makes straight ahead, relatable music rather than self-indulgent oddities. I respect him for doing it, but it just doesn't work for me.

HoneyNut, mastapimp and Matt08642 like this.
  13. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Devin seemed to have an incredible run around the late 90s to mid 00s in that Infinity - Terria - Synchestra era, the first Devin Townsend Project album was amazing too.

Then came Ziltoid and even worse Ki, which I thought totally sucked, I've never reconnected with his work since then. It seems to have none of the substance or killer hooks, too much self-indulgence. Sad, but his golden era was truly incredible so I'm happy just to listen to that.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Sacrilege! Those were his best. :)

coreysMonster likes this.
  15. coreysMonster

coreysMonster Abrakadabro

I'm about halfway through and I can definitely see where people are coming from. This is not an album, this is more like a soundtrack imo 1. I figured that's what it would be like based on what he's said about it so I can't say I'm disappointed, this is pretty much what I was expecting. I think I'll have to give it multiple listens for it to sink in. This is definitely for fans of The Hummer / DevLab / the more weird parts of Empath.
    That being said I am quite enjoying it while I'm working. I'm tired and trying to figure out a weird issue at work, and this is very nice to listen to while doing this.

16. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Also wasn't Ki the first DTP album followed by Addicted? Ziltoid was also before DTP, but now I'm nitpicking.

After Deconstruction and Ghost, I've found hit material really hit or miss and the strongest out of the bunch was Transcendence. Not surprising that that was the only one where the rest of the band had input to keep some of the self-indulgences down. Z2 was okay but only because I was on it (along with like 7,000 other people) and I was glad it came packaged with Sky Blue.

I skipped the last one, and I'm not crazy on ambient stuff so I won't bother with this one either.

Oh well, there's always Ocean Machine, Accelerated Evolution, and ZTO for when I wanna hear the golden era.

Matt08642 likes this.
  17. coreysMonster

coreysMonster Abrakadabro

At least it's not another Epicloud, which to this day remains the only Devin album I actually hate.

18. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

I liked the first 'Ziltoid' album quite a lot. The second 'Ziltoid' album was a massive let down. There wasn't one song I liked on the album.
    Could never get into 'Ki', but loved the 'Ghost' album. Out of that run of 4 DTP albums I was expecting to like 'Deconstruction' the most - but it ended up sounding like some demented carnival clown album, which is probably what he was going for, but I thought it was absolute ass.

wankerness likes this.
  19. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I absolutely love the early Devy stuff... Syl, DTB etc. up until the last of the four project albums. Then it's been downhill ever since. The only speck of light has been Casualties of Cool... Absolutely love it, but then again, I must be in a certain state of mind to listen to it for long. Ché has such a great voice.

I think Devy said somewhere that the "lightworks" album will have an "outsider" as producer. Maybe it's the thing that Devy really needs. Someone to say NO for a change.

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Funny how I love his live performance (seen him a few times) but more or less think his albums sound like poodoo. I'd rather watch a live YT video from him than listen to an album.