New Deftones album - Ohms (released 25th Sept) Title Track video released

Dantas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just gave it my first listen. My initial impression is that it's a step up from Gore, but it falls short of their best work. Hopefully it'll grow on me...

Feels the same....I'm surprised from a guitar orientated forum not complaining about the guitars on this album.

It's a step up in production/mixing compared to Gore, but I feel most of the riffs are kinda boring and lack some spice.

The riffs and chords are simpler compared with their other albums.....they don't need to go Periphery/AAL crazy with the riffs, but since Gore I feel they dumbed down the guitar arrangements. Never had an issue regarding that from their previous albums, but since Gore and now with OHMS I feel its lacking in that aspect. Of course there's some cool riffs and guitar ideas in both albums, but there are fewer now.

Last edited:

slan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's growing on me with each listen.

Guitar tone on this record is THICK. The intro to Urantia rips.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's growing on me with each listen.

Guitar tone on this record is THICK. The intro to Urantia rips.

I found the tone could be kinda meh on some tracks, but the chugs on Headless are fucking Fear Factory Demanufacture levels of heavy.

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I’ll be damned, I just might have to buy this album. Really appreciate that they uploaded the whole thing to their YouTube, I skipped Gore and wasn’t going to sign up for this one until I’d heard most of it.

Dantas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It''s a long ass interview, but it shows Steph current Bob Bradshawn custom rig. He switched back to the Marshall JMP-1 preamp from the ATF/WP era.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I remember he toured with the Axe for a bit, but a few years later (I actually think sometime before Gore) he switched back to a condensed version of his old rack.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Digging this album actually, feels equal in quality to Diamond Eyes imo. Urantia, Radiant City, The Spell of Mathematics, and Headless are some of my favorites - stoked for them, would def buy a ticket for a live-streamed show lol.

Last edited:

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
It’s really good - To me it’s like Saturday Night Diamond Fur.
I think the production work isn’t as polished as Diamond Eyes, but I can’t engineer sound for shit, so my opinion is like, just an opinion, man.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
I’ll be damned, I just might have to buy this album. Really appreciate that they uploaded the whole thing to their YouTube, I skipped Gore and wasn’t going to sign up for this one until I’d heard most of it.

You should! I bought a physical copy Friday and it sounds massive through a good amp / speakers. The production is excellent.

Reaction score
I was never a big Deftones fan. I heard some of their singles and liked them but never listened beyond that. I recently just got the entire discography including the new album. Currently listening to the new album and it reminded me at first of a continuation of White Pony...at least in the first track. I'm watching a YouTube let's play while listening so without looking at the tracks I wouldn't have even known we were into a new album if I hadn't been paying attention.

The rest of the album doesn't sound like White Pony..but the first track was definitely in the same line of thought. As for the rest it's good. I'm not a fan of 7 and 8 string guitars and whatnot but I will say that Deftones is one of the few bands I think does it right. The tones are great.

I guess I'm approaching this as a new listener not just to the new album but to the band in general. They're like a whinier kid version of Tool. I'm not a Tool fan either but I dig Deftones. I certainly have more of an appreciation for them now than I did in their nu-metal heyday.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I feel like the 2nd half of the album connects with me much more. Although I've only spun this twice ,I feel it's kinda "meh" to me and I Love Deftones, so I feel bad about that. This might have to be the long haul, grow on you album for me.