New Deftones album - Ohms (released 25th Sept) Title Track video released

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you heard it all the way through? I know some leaks are out there but I'm not giving in to the pressure haha

Yes, but only once. I can't wait to sit down with the artwork and listen to it, but I know I'm gonna end up spinning it Friday or Saturday night (before I get the physical copy) over some drinks with friends :p

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Yes, but only once. I can't wait to sit down with the artwork and listen to it, but I know I'm gonna end up spinning it Friday or Saturday night (before I get the physical copy) over some drinks with friends :p
Initial thoughts? Standout track?

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Initial thoughts? Standout track?

I don't want to give away too much and spoil that first listening experience for people, so here's a warning for anyone that wants to go into this with the most virgin ears possible: stop reading right here. I'm about to give away too much and spoil that first listening experience for people.

Everything I disliked about the last record has been absolutely abolished with this one. The production is big, clear and crisp, and the songs have a better sense of movement than most of the ones on Gore had. Nothing sounds pieced together, meandering or lacking in a sense of direction and things are generally less sluggish. A lot of the heavier sections have a groove and swagger to them that most of the last album really seemed to lack. There seemed to be a few more quiet / loud dynamic shifts in the songs than on the last 3 records, and they felt very well done.

There are bits and pieces from every period of the band's history in these songs, but they feel very refined and cohesive. Chino's voice is Chino's voice. There's some of the old school handheld mic + stereo detune Terry Date Deftones vocal sound, and he's still harmonizing the way he started to around Diamond Eyes. He sings, he shouts, he screams, he whispers. He sings like Chino but he sounds great doing it. There are some really nice, and sometimes, unexpected vocal melodies on this.

Stephen seems to be getting a bit more out of his ERGs with regards to the amount of range he's using or how he's using it. There are chuggy riffs, dissonant riffs, thrashy riffs, twinkly clean parts, and the big Hum-esque / shoegaze inspired sections with that signature big guitar sound. Somewhat surprising was the lack of completely ignorant 9th string abuse. I only heard him go below his usual 8 string drop E register on maybe two songs, so it was used very tastefully. There are some new effect oriented tones that show up here and there, the distorted guitars sound somewhere between selftitled, SNW and KNY. A Marshally midrange cut and sheen mixed with a bigger bottom end and lower midrange emphasized sound, maybe from the Rivera.

Sergio and Abe do a great job of running the clock here. The drums are big, resonant and roomy with a sound not totally dissimilar from the ones on White Pony, but tend to sit back in volume and attack a bit like they do for much of selftitled. Abe's a great rock drummer, and while he's not doing anything on here that's going to particularly shock anyone (no blasts or double kick) his parts always complement and anchor things very well. Sergio's bass sound seems to cut through a LOT more compared to the previous albums he's done with them, with the heavy sections dishing out a pretty gnarly distorted tone with plenty of bottom and midrange grit without being too nangy sounding. He's awesome. He does more than follow the guitars, playing a few walky sort of lines, some cool counterpoint lines like on Genesis, and even introduces a pretty sick galloping riff on Radiant City that sets the mood for the rest of the song.

Overall it's melodic and bouncy like Saturday Night Wrist and Koi no Yokan, dark and deviously sort of romantic like Gore and White Pony, and abrasive and brash like Around the Fur. Someone from the band had mentioned in an interview recently that the band was "firing on all cylinders" and I have to agree. It almost sounds like a love letter from Deftones to Deftones. Not in a sense of being self indulgent, but like they've seen their baby grow up, reached a new point of love and understanding and bought him a really, really nice suit.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I don't want to give away too much and spoil that first listening experience for people, so here's a warning for anyone that wants to go into this with the most virgin ears possible: stop reading right here. I'm about to give away too much and spoil that first listening experience for people.

Everything I disliked about the last record has been absolutely abolished with this one. The production is big, clear and crisp, and the songs have a better sense of movement than most of the ones on Gore had. Nothing sounds pieced together, meandering or lacking in a sense of direction and things are generally less sluggish. A lot of the heavier sections have a groove and swagger to them that most of the last album really seemed to lack. There seemed to be a few more quiet / loud dynamic shifts in the songs than on the last 3 records, and they felt very well done.

There are bits and pieces from every period of the band's history in these songs, but they feel very refined and cohesive. Chino's voice is Chino's voice. There's some of the old school handheld mic + stereo detune Terry Date Deftones vocal sound, and he's still harmonizing the way he started to around Diamond Eyes. He sings, he shouts, he screams, he whispers. He sings like Chino but he sounds great doing it. There are some really nice, and sometimes, unexpected vocal melodies on this.

Stephen seems to be getting a bit more out of his ERGs with regards to the amount of range he's using or how he's using it. There are chuggy riffs, dissonant riffs, thrashy riffs, twinkly clean parts, and the big Hum-esque / shoegaze inspired sections with that signature big guitar sound. Somewhat surprising was the lack of completely ignorant 9th string abuse. I only heard him go below his usual 8 string drop E register on maybe two songs, so it was used very tastefully. There are some new effect oriented tones that show up here and there, the distorted guitars sound somewhere between selftitled, SNW and KNY. A Marshally midrange cut and sheen mixed with a bigger bottom end and lower midrange emphasized sound, maybe from the Rivera.

Sergio and Abe do a great job of running the clock here. The drums are big, resonant and roomy with a sound not totally dissimilar from the ones on White Pony, but tend to sit back in volume and attack a bit like they do for much of selftitled. Abe's a great rock drummer, and while he's not doing anything on here that's going to particularly shock anyone (no blasts or double kick) his parts always complement and anchor things very well. Sergio's bass sound seems to cut through a LOT more compared to the previous albums he's done with them, with the heavy sections dishing out a pretty gnarly distorted tone with plenty of bottom and midrange grit without being too nangy sounding. He's awesome. He does more than follow the guitars, playing a few walky sort of lines, some cool counterpoint lines like on Genesis, and even introduces a pretty sick galloping riff on Radiant City that sets the mood for the rest of the song.

Overall it's melodic and bouncy like Saturday Night Wrist and Koi no Yokan, dark and deviously sort of romantic like Gore and White Pony, and abrasive and brash like Around the Fur. Someone from the band had mentioned in an interview recently that the band was "firing on all cylinders" and I have to agree. It almost sounds like a love letter from Deftones to Deftones. Not in a sense of being self indulgent, but like they've seen their baby grow up, reached a new point of love and understanding and bought him a really, really nice suit.
Nice writeup man! Every review I've read has me even more excited for this album. Based on the 2 songs we've already heard, it feels like a different band than the band that made Gore. Regarding Stef, I heard he really only used the 9 string on 1 song but could be wrong. I know he used actual amps in the studio and there were a few pics going around with him using Bogner Uberschall's and a Twin Jet. Either way, definitely excited for this album.

Ataraxia2320

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The two singles were definitely the weakest tracks IMO.

It sounds like a happier more hopeful version of the band.

If S/T was them at their darkest this is them at their brightest.

Need more listens when it drops on friday but I really dig it.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Genesis grooves hard. I'll check it out when it releases, maybe Ohms will grow on me but if it's the weakest track on the album I'm good with that.

ChugThisBoy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, it's out. I listened to it in the car today, front to back, and I can say that I've had a dirty smile on my face the whole time. I love it, I wish that Gore didn't exist tbh. This album just sound "honest", I don't know if I can describe it more precisely. I couldn't hear anything that I don't like. Good for them, really

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I'm definitely in the minority here but...I was a bit underwhelmed on my first listen. Maybe, this will change.

It is definitely better than Gore, no doubt about that. But, after my first listen...I can't think of one track that really stood out, really grabbed my attention. Genesis appears to be the heaviest track on the album. Where are the aggressive songs? Where's the "Goon Squad"? Or "Poltergeist"? "Elite"? "When Girls Telephone Boys"? Where's the track where Steph lays down an aggressive riff...and Chino just go off on top of it? It seemed to me that Chino just crooned over the heavy riffs, and that took away from the songs at times. I love the spacey shit they do...but I need those aggressive tracks to balance the album out, and while Steph brought the riffs...I don't think Chino backed it up.

So, overall, definitely some good stuff on there...but not great stuff. Maybe I'll feel differently after some repeat listens.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love this album. Friggin' great. Has a really great vibe to it. *insert Captain Holt Hot Damn gif* (i'm too lazy to do it)

edit: listening to this some more. This album is amazing. Maybe even better than Diamond Eyes, and DE is my most favorite album ever. I'll have to listen to this some more, but on the first few goes it's giving it a run for it's money imho.

Heaviness wars are stupid. Great songs are where it's at, and this album nails that.

Love this album so far.

Last edited:

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
I think this became my new favorite album. KNY was probably my favorite and then WP and/or DE.

But, Ohms is just...I think it’s absolutely perfect. More perfect than KNY and WP, in my opinion. And to be honest, I’m happy that the addition of the 9th string/“riff heaviness” didn’t become the focus. The songwriting took precedent over just focusing on “riff heaviness”. I think it shows and it’s masterclass.

And gosh, Frank is so standout in this. The Pompeji ending is beautiful. Pompeji is beautiful.

And lastly, I’m loving the lyrics. At least the lyrics that I’m hearing, as I haven’t looked them up.

Last edited:

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I think this became my new favorite album. KNY was probably my favorite and then WP and/or DE.

But, Ohms is just...I think it’s absolutely perfect. More perfect than KNY and WP, in my opinion. And to be honest, I’m happy that the addition of the 9th string/“riff heaviness” didn’t become the focus. The songwriting took precedent over just focusing on “riff heaviness”. I think it shows and it’s masterclass.

And gosh, Frank is so standout in this. The Pompeji ending is beautiful. Pompeji is beautiful.

And lastly, I’m loving the lyrics. At least the lyrics that I’m hearing, as I haven’t looked them up.
Yeah, I agree about the 9 string and it not being over done. Some people are saying he didn't even use it which is funny but also proves that it was subtle enough not to be overbearing.

CGrant109

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gave the album a full listen before going to bed. I don't know how to feel about it to be honest. I went from being so excited with Genesis opening up the album, and then tracks like Urantia came on and ruined it for me. It felt like Gore 2.0 but with better production. I also don't know what it is, but there's something about Chino's vocals on this album that really annoy me. Going to give it a few more engaged listens but first impression of it was disappointing.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score

This sums up exactly what I think about the album. The songwriting on this is breathtaking.

Stef says all the time in interviews hat he does not know what he is doing and is a riff "dinosaur" etc. But he is truly belittling his genius.