New Charvel Rick Graham Sig

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by feilong29, Sep 9, 2021.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I understand the difficulty in quantifying value, but it costs nothing to subscribe to a channel compared to purchasing an album. In his video on Charvel's site, he calls himself one of the original YouTube guitarists having launched a page in 2005. It just seems like a small pool of subscribers based upon the amount of time he has been around. Again, I think he is a great - no, make that an amazing - player, but I literally learned about him today in this thread. Its awesome that Charvel is making an instrument for him, but surprising at the same time because he is not terribly well known.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Hollowway and feilong29 like this.
  2. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I mentioned Shawn Lane because it's that "your favorite guitar player's favorite guitar player" conundrum. The actual impact of his music is small in comparison to his reputation and influence.

Having said that, 250k isn't that small for this niche of Youtube. Some of his peers include Andy James (139k), Tom Quayle (106k), Marco Sfogli (34k), and Marshall Harrison (20k). Pete Thorn, who is very influential/respected in gear circles, has 227k subscribers.

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Huh. You are right about that. 250k is not bad in light of all that.

aesthyrian and Hollowway like this.
  4. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Is he still in shape and working out a lot? Looks a bit burly, even in the face but could be the amount of clothes he's wearing but it's still athletic wear (or is it a fa├žade?). Not bashing, genuinely curious.
    Glad he's gotten a sig, always enjoyed listening. Even when he mentions that he's made a mistake or "this note sounds off" it always sounds good. I think he's attained a level of proficiency to where his mistakes sound good, don't know.

feilong29 likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Generic hipster shred nursery blue, roasted maple neck... pretty generic for a signature.

6. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

While we're at it, I always thought this story was hilarious. Rick's side is self-explanatory but he's too modest to mention the irony that Tony Iommi didn't know who he was either. So here's two blokes in a shop, one is maybe the most influential guitarist in metal, the other is perhaps the most technically accomplished guitarist to pick up the instrument, yet they sit there and talk about French designer silverware because that's how they crossed paths that day. Mind-blowing.

aesthyrian and Hollowway like this.
  7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

He didn't know who Tony Iommi was? Uhh...?

8. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

HAHA, I mean, at that price, it should have gotten a flame maple neck at least! I'm just a snob for wenge/rosewood necks, or would rather have regular maple. Just my opinion though! We need Rick to make another album, all instrumental!

Hollowway likes this.
  9. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Ricks demo of black winter pickups made me go out and buy them. I had never seen someone at so cleanly and flawlessly. I hated the pickups, but been following since. What a monster player.

10. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

He quite clearly knew it was Tony Iommi

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  11. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

As much as I love Rick as a player, it seems very odd (and very desperate or lazy) of Charvel (read as parent company "Fender") to put out what is literally a bone-stock DK24 and then say it is a "signature guitar" for a guy whose peak in the community was somewhere around 4-8 years ago. He doesn't make content anymore aside from the occasional Instagram noodling video, and it seems like his time has come and gone as the Internet has moved on to focus on other shredders.

This sums it up.

12. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Kind of tangential, but I genuinely believe streaming might be a great avenue for players like this.

Ewan Dobson, who at some point 10 years ago had videos with literally tens of millions of views on Candyrat records before completely fading away (and whose current life of classical guitar and feeding birds in the wilderness I envy greatly), started streaming relatively recently. At least the first streams seemed to be pretty successful, considering how fringe his latest years on youtube have been.

I know Dean Lamb from Archspire is also having pretty successful (as far as metal guitar players go, at least) streams on youtube.

Moving to a semi-educational semi-humorous, consistent, streaming schedule does appear to be a potentially viable career path.

feilong29 likes this.
  13. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

A roasted maple neck Charvel in a pastel color?

Never seen that before...

Hollowway likes this.
  14. IwantTacos

IwantTacos SS.org Regular

people really imagining that ibanez has anyone other then interns mocking up new az sigs in blender.

15. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Cool to see him get a sig. I like his actual music more than many of the YT/IG crowd, and his playing is just lights out great. And while not exactly something different, his guitar is still pretty nice, and you can really see a melding of his Strats and RGs here, so I think it suites him.

16. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

What I like about Dean Lamb is that he shows the process of learning something from beginning to end. All the struggles we have as guitar players when it comes to practicing hard stuff, he captures on film. It's really neat! I would have loved to see Rick when he first started playing and see his practice routine and methods and then his eventual climb to perfection on the guitar.

Crundles likes this.
  17. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

I come here to read about sig guitar butthurtness.

18. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Gotta go back to the first page for that my friend.

19. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Dean makes great content whether it's streams or the 4 levels of death metal. He comes across as very down to earth

feilong29 and Mboogie7 like this.
  20. MiPwnYew

MiPwnYew SS.org Regular

This has always been my favorite Rick song/video. Such a good piece of music and it isn't shred.