New Ceriatone model: The Leviathan

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Vostre Roy, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Comments on Facebook seems to point to a Butterslax clone. If they make a kit out of it, I'm definitely intersted

FB_IMG_1569632951564.jpg

sleewell, Randy, technomancer and 3 others like this.
  2. remorse is for the dead

remorse is for the dead SS.org Regular

Leviathan; definitely sounds like Mastodon.

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Why wait for a ceriatone kit? The schematic is out there, Valvestorm project chassis, Heyboer transformers, make a turret board and build one :shrug:

And yes it's a Butterslax clone more or less. Watching guys dance around saying it on the Facebook group is actually pretty funny. If you're going to clone other builder's work then just admit what it is.

efiltsohg, oneblackened and Ribboz like this.
  4. Fretwreck

Fretwreck SS.org Regular

I own 3 Ceriatones. 1987 plexi, 2204 and a 2202. Fuckn stellar amps!! Awesome. Nik at Ceriatone is great to deal with. Top notch customer service. I’m going to get a 4th amp at some point. A higher gain, modern amp type of thing. Choices are getting harder though now that this is coming out. I’m not affiliated, nor a rep from his company. Just a satisfied customer. If anyone here is thinking about get one, which ever model that may be. Do it. Email them. Ask questions. I swear that guy doesn’t sleep

5. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

Friedman is pretty touchy regarding IP. Mooer had to change the name of their preamp clone and Hotone had to change the name of one of their mini amps too.

6. narad

narad Owned a Zune

But that doesn't apply to discussing what it's a clone of. That's just people being dorky. "PM me" or "I don't want to say but uh, begins with the letter of the honey insect and ends with a regional slang for lacrosse."

Ribboz, Hollowway and technomancer like this.
  7. technomancer

Exactly. Obviously you can't use Butterslax or Meshuggah to promote your amp or in the name so Nik can't use it in promotional materials, but you can certainly say, "I ordered this and the circuit is based on the Butterslax".

As for Dave he's pretty forthcoming about his circuits in discussions online and has been great when I've dealt with him as a customer as well. Also defending a trademark isn't being "touchy about ip" it's smart business.

Ribboz and Hollowway like this.
  8. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

I've put some more thoughts about my initial comments. The more I think of it, the less I feel comfortable ordering this particular kit from Ceriatone given the original amplifier is available and you can order one relatively easily. For amps like the Dumbles or the Trainwrecks, which are virtually impossible to get an original one, or for amps like the Jubilee that are not in production anymore, it makes senses to go with Ceriatone, but cloning an amp from a small builder, I dunno…

And yeah, I don't actually plan to order kits anymore, I got every tools I need to make my own boards and chassis, I'll probably build my next amp from scratch. Still need to finish my 3 channels London Power amp first though lol

efiltsohg likes this.
  9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I thought this was a hypothetical argument, but I just looked up lacrosse slang. :lol:

On topic, I've been eyeing these amps for a while now, because I really want one of the Jose mod style JCM 800 amps for a while now, just because I love that '80s tone. There are so many variations on it, I don't really know what is what, though. I've googled, but don't really have much of a feel for it. Anyone know if there's a single resource that breaks down the variations and what the sound differences are?

10. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

If it sounds as cool as it looks, than it's titties.

11. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Meh. To me the Butterslax sounds like a signature BE style tone stack with another gain stage. I mean , idk what's going on inside, it's got some of the classic Friedman bits but the saturation in all the clips I've heard just sounded unusable. I can't see that worth milking a clone out of.

12. technomancer

There's basically one dude ordering these clones and since Nik is doing the work to build them he's releasing them as models.

With the exception of the JJ which doesn't have the 4 gain stage HBE mode all of these amps are basically minor variations on the BE... BE 3 gain stage + CF / HBE 4 gain stage with CF. The Butterslax is a minor variation that just has the clipping diodes engaged at all times on all 3 channels.

13. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

He with the best lawyers gets to pretend they designed the circuit! Yippee.

14. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

He got in trouble for calling an amp "Marsha". So what's that about smart business?

15. technomancer

Let's see, built his brand from building touring racks to a successful line of guitars, amps, pedals, and accessories carried by major retailers world wide that is popular enough that a cloner is driving up the pricing of THEIR brand building copies? Like him or not I'd say he's doing ok :lol:

Ribboz, FILTHnFEAR, StevenC and 3 others like this.
  16. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Nik never pretends he has invented anything, he's a very down to earth guy especially on this matter. I mean, how can anyone in this boutique amp business say a thing about inventing something when 95% of the stuff are tweaks on a JCM800 circuit?

budda likes this.
  17. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

That had nothing to do with what I was saying, but anyway, back to IP. Getting sued isn't smart. Threatening to sue people for the same thing you did is hypocritical and not a good business move.

18. technomancer

So the success of a business isn't an indicator of how smart the owner is at running a business. Got you.

Also, look up the difference between a cease and desist letter and a lawsuit.

Ribboz and efiltsohg like this.
  19. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

Success wasn't mentioned at all. Successful people make stupid moves every day. Being successful does not preclude one from being a hypocrite. Keep those goal posts moving.

Get help.

20. technomancer

Might want to take your own advice. I said Dave was a smart businessman based on the success of his company. You said he's not because he received a cease and desist for using the Marsha name. Not sure what goalpost moved anywhere. You're not making much sense aside from clearly wanting to argue and having an axe to grind :shrug:

Also not sure what any of this has to do with the Leviathan :lol:

Hollowway and Ribboz like this.