New Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas (2019)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Glades, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Yeah this is a monster album!!
    The great dying 2 is frightening

2. allheavymusic

allheavymusic SS.org Regular

What's there to say after Death Atlas? In terms of production, writing, atmosphere, it's that next level album. Pure fusion of so many styles of metal while also being fresh. That's not easy to do. The evolution from Monolith to Anthropocene to Death Atlas is crazy, and now it all feels fully integrated. Anything in a similar lane will have to respond to this album to raise the bar. I'm excited to see the impact this has on the scene.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've honestly never really paid attention to these guys, but I listened to Death Atlas all the way through and it's a solid album.

Can't get into the goblin-esque clean vocals, though. Do they have any albums with a similar overall sound/atmosphere with less of that?

4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Both of the previous albums have a bit less of it. The earlier albums don't have any, but the production is much more raw too.
    I had a hard time getting into those vocals too, but I liked the rest of the music so much, I forced myself to get into that part too.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I've never followed them much; last time I listened to them was their earlier albums. The weird clean/80s style vocals are an acquired taste, but I think they work. Almost gives a sort of creepy/grim vibe. My only thought on Death Atlas was maybe he used that style a bit too much on the album. Might have been more effective if only used on a couple songs. The riffs on this album are killer. I kind of wish the drums were a slight bit lower in the mix though, if only to hear the guitars a little better.

allheavymusic likes this.
  6. SexHaver420

SexHaver420 SS.org Regular

I have the unpopular opinion here but I think this album is pretty disappointing. Any song on Monolith of Inhumanity is better than this whole album.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

The clean vocals remind me of what I loved about that first 3 Inches of Blood album. It’s so ridiculous and makes for some catchy parts. This album is so good.

BlackMastodon and aesthyrian like this.
  8. Chanson

Chanson SS.org Regular

Do they clean spacey vocals remind anyone else of YOB?

BlackMastodon likes this.
  9. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

What's wrong with all of you? The "goblin" vocals take getting used to? Whaaat? They aren't even that odd or uncommon, just heavy rasp. I think it's cool as fuck, but I guess death metal is so closeted that it's jarring to hear them?

And I also keep reading and hearing that the raspy vocals are overdone... uhm, this is Cattle Decapitation, why the fuck are you expecting or looking for subtlety? Everything else is so over the top, but the vocals are where we draw the line? :lol:

Extreme music is funny.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    allheavymusic and Mathemagician like this.
  10. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Now that you mention it yeah I get the YOB vibes.

Chanson likes this.
  11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Honestly, I think the "clean" vocals work extremely well in the context of the music. The sound is grimey and apocalyptic. The cleans do well to add to that atmosphere.

p0ke, fps, allheavymusic and 3 others like this.
  12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

So do I, but I think they'd be even more effective if there was less of them. It's not the actual sound that makes me want less of it, it's just that it sort of takes away a bit of the contrast when it's used more. If that makes any sense...

KailM likes this.
  13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

That’s exactly what I meant in my post. It’s not a harsh criticism either, by any means. I just think a little less of that style on the album would have made it a more powerful component.

p0ke likes this.