New BKP Ragnarok

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by chopeth, Sep 2, 2017.

1. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

I really didn't find that with this set. I'm running it through my Bogner twin jet with the gain around noon, and a precision drive with the gain at 0 and it is pretty heavy.

Pretty much exactly what I am hearing with my rig. I find the neck pickup is good. Not my favorite BKP neck, but I definitely dig the splits on the Ragnaroks more than the Warpigs. Totally subjective opinion of course though.

2. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I have a set of Rags on an RG2228 with bkp/cts pots 550K.

They're less "modern" then i thought.
    Still a tight pickup but not as tight as the juggernaut. No quacky mids at all, Rags are more organic and also imho a little bit brighter and less low-mid focused then the Juggs.

The output difference is there but is more about how you "feel" the pickup while playing then else: while in the Juggs every note "pops" out, the Rags are more balanced overall.
    They digest gain very well.

Neck pickup has more of a "liquid" feel and less nasal sound compared to the Juggernaut but I slightly prefer the latter for its attack even if it's harder to play.

So far I'm really liking this pickup. It's not the ultra-djent weapon some kids were waiting for but it's a metal pickup with relatively high output but balance and organic.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  3. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

Bit late on this one but what the hell.

I've got Ragnaroks in my EC-1000T/CTM.
    The bridge is yeah - kind of a more refined, less "everything louder than everything else" version of a C-Pig. Great pickup, super tight, aggro as hell, and FAT. It's not sizzley at all, really, a bit on the warm side. Agreed with lurè, it's not really an "ultra-djent" pickup at all.
    The neck is really not quite to my tastes, it's a bit too warm and liquid feeling but I also like obscenely bright neck pickups like the Titan and Cold Sweat, so there's that.

4. Gila_Crisis

Gila_Crisis SS.org Regular

I used to have a Black Winter Bridge in the guitar where I putted a Ragnarok set.
    To me the Rag is more organic. I loved the flat response of the BW, but the Rags gave it a twist and more punch to my guitar.

5. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

I was under the impression that the black winter was a far punchier and meaner pickup than the ragnarok.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  6. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I just played a 7 string version of them in my bandmate's guitar. They are a lot of fun. Lots of compression and clarity. Definitely big sounding pickups for chords. The cleans really were very good, which is weird for a high output humbucker.

A lot of good pickups sound good, but feel great. I would put these in the category of having a very good feel to them.

7. Gila_Crisis

Gila_Crisis SS.org Regular

I really love the clean on these! I play also in a reggea-dub band. You may think I'm mad to use a 7 string baritone guitar in such context, but with the Rag I get these wonderful clear, punchy clean sounds which suits really well the context.
    All the band mates were amazed by my sound, ehehe.

8. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

you can really hear the compression on cleans but not so much, at least for me, under really high gain where the clarity of the pickup prevails.