New Bill Kelliher (Mastodon) ESP signature?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Reinholderx, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Reinholderx

Reinholderx SS.org Regular

Seen this posted on his Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNOMB_JZ2h/
    Potential new Bill Kelliher sig? Haven't seen anything on the ESP site yet (unless I'm looking in the wrong place). I wanna see the specs but it looks pretty sick. Has the First Act/Yamaha SG vibe, and silverburst! :wub3:

Attached Files:

setsuna7, Zhysick, Randy and 4 others like this.
  2. ryanougrad

ryanougrad SS.org Regular

If they release an LTD version of this I might have to buy one to go with the GhostHorse I now find myself wanting to buy.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

It has the vibe because it basically is a 1/1 copy of the First Act Bill and Matt Pike used to play. :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you read about those guitars, it was actually Matt Pike's design, and he based it on a Yamaha SG.

But no, you don't see it on ESP's site yet because Bill literally just got it (seemingly) less than a week ago.

sirbuh and Randy like this.
  4. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Awh maaaaaan! It's like things are finally coming full circle years later if this actually ends up being a protoype for a new "Bill Kelliher signature model" and not just a one-off custom build from the ESP shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And let's not forget that Bill did actually have a Yamaha SG1000 (or SBG1000?) in a silverburst finish that was exactly like the Yamaha SG1820A, minus different pickups and slightly differently inlays on the fretboard. (Solid inlays instead of a trace outline.)

[​IMG]

His exact guitar was actually sold on Reverb awhile back. Signed and all.

[​IMG]

And of course, Bill did have a custom silverburst DC9 built by the First Act Custom Shop to match Brent's silverburst DC9 back during the Crack the Skye era when they (Mastodon) were experimenting with this 9-string design along with High On Fire and Baroness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of which, Brent is probably cracking a smile at this new guitar Bill got too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zhysick, Manurack and efiltsohg like this.
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

I joked in another thread that this ESP guitar was posted that when Bill got the guitar, he showed it to Brent and was like *nudge nudge wink wink* :lol:

6. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

This looks at least a bit more ownable and distinct ( despite being a copy in a way) that the 2045th eclipse iteration...

7. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Why not jusy buy a yamaha?

And damn, first act really had everybody for a minute, huh.

sirbuh likes this.
  8. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

The double cut Eclipse has been done a few times, seemingly never with much fanfare. Even with Kirk’s I’m pretty sure I maybe saw one NGD. 06290033-830D-4C64-B968-7E6073E79D8D.png

Zhysick, Manurack and Masoo2 like this.
  9. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Hopefully a new signature to be unveiled at winter namm. Been looking to buy the first act guitar he use to play and this scratches that itch perfectly.

10. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I really wish they'd switch all the Eclipse-style models to the Alex Skolnick headstock. Or maybe even the HRF.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Randy and Ataraxia2320 like this.
  11. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

I'm not sure "dropping the ball" is the right analogy as I'm sure they're making bank with the cheap stuff, but they had Mastodon, Bring Me The Horizon, Architects, Maroon 5, Aerosmith, and a whole host of others and enough star power to set something more up.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

First Act has a very interesting history and story.

They started as a cash grab by a large corporation, brought on some musicians to lead it, who then tried to take it another level, but flew too close to the sun, then it all fell apart and was bought by a toy company.

That was all in the span of about a decade.

13. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Who was in charge of the US stuff that artists got a hold of? They had some cool designs and looked pretty well put together

14. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I got to see Johnny Truant when Reuben had one, and iirc saw Cancer Bats when Scott had one - I think it hangs on the wall at his studio now.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't quite remember off hand. There was a really good Guitar World article on it, definitely worth searching for.

budda likes this.
  16. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

sirbuh likes this.
  17. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

...oh. Oh. I need this.

18. MFB

MFB Banned

I was wondering when someone would finally make a double-cut Eclipse, besides the KH one that nobody seems to care about. I dig it, but it does remind me of the Yamaha/FA models, and still suffers from what will keep me form ever buying one: strap pin located at the neck joint instead of one the upper horn backside.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

There's actually bee a couple of custom order Eclipse DCs. Kirk Windstein has(had?) one. There's some dude named John Rox that has like two of them. There was also one available in Japan briefly.

20. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Oh man... You’ve got no clue.

Mastodon, High On Fire, Baroness, Bring Me The Horizon, Architects, Converge, Gallows, Underoath, Norma Jean, The Chariot, The Almost, The Devil Wears Prada, A Day To Remember, Every Time I Die, Poison The Well, Forever The Sickest Kids, Minus The Bear, Daughters, Torche, Cancer Bats, Russian Circles, Neurosis, Genghis Tron, Serj Tankian, Against Me!, Oceana, The Tonight Show Band, numerous upon numerous session musicians for touring mainstream pop, rock, and country artists, almost every somewhat big metalcore or post-hardcore band of that 2000s era, and more.

If I recall correctly, it was an attempt by First Act to offer genuine, real, actual instruments. (Or someone tried to start it up but First Act immediately swooped in with the necessary funding.) But thus, there was the custom shop and the production USA runs (all built in the custom shop during their downtime), along with the dirt-cheap, Korean-made SFA line of import models, which were super solid.

The brand expanded rapidly because of a combinations of reputation of the minds behind the operation (including some of Gibson’s best luthiers at the time who had recently up and left Gibson’s Custom Shop) along with the A&R guy (whose name I’m forgetting) who had a massive network of contacts and substantial pull to entice artists into joining the First Act roster at the time.

Things were looking pretty good for awhile. The marketing was being done right, and you’d see FACS builds in magazines and in the hands of countless players on stages around the country. But the branding was still piss-poor. The entire operation was an exercise in poor branding. The fact that First Act was bankrolling things meant that they got to slap their name on the headstock; and First Act has forever been established as a brand that makes shitty toys, which made it hard for folks to really take the FACS seriously. (At least, seriously enough to justify plunking down $3,000+ for a custom shop build or buying a fairly priced Korean import around the usual $800-$900 range of the time.) It’s a shame that we live in a world where the simple name stamped on a headstock dictates value in the market.

Things did fly too close to the sun, but the name stamped on the headstock ultimately ruined everything and nullified all of the hard work of the great minds who were involved.

All that First Act had to do was utilize a different name (like a new “subcompany”, with First Act as the parent company holding ownership) and the operation would’ve been fine and stood a chance at surviving to this day. But nope. Couldn’t do that. So, it’s no wonder that the operation tanked.

Some of the luthiers have since gone on to pursue their own private building in their free time. John McGuire is still building guitars. And Kelly Butler is still building guitars too.

Little historical note: the shop space that was the First Act storefront was decimated during the Boston Marathon bombing back in 2013

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021