New Bill Kelliher ESP/LTD

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by crystallake, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The Lzzy Hale model was limited, too, you just happened to see them while they were for sale. :) I don't think you'd find a new one anyplace now. I skipped the Halcyon because LPs aren't my thing and the price point wasn't good. (which, usually, is the case of most standard and above LPs, tbh)

2. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

True, I guess it's just a harder find for these limited run models Australia likes to wait a while for a lot of things.

3. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

I think a lot of us outside of The States missed the the chance due only to the fact that they either were snapped up stateside before they made it too the boat, or that very few made their way to any of our shores and were naturally snapped up quickly.

I for one was hoping in some years to pick up one of the bay, but I guess they are now less likely to be on there. Like Andromalia said, the new price (and even 2nd hand prices of a lot) of LP models Std and above are pretty prohibitive - but luckily the Classics and Traditional's are fine guitars.

I think from an economic perspective this is probably better for Bill and ESP which is cool, from my perspective as a consumer in theory it should also be better due to it being more cost effective for me to buy an ESP or LTD vs Gibson. But the reality is the aesthetics of the Halcyon were a big draw card for it for me vs another Les Paul, a type of guitar I happen to like anyway.

Thankfully there are other ways of getting guitars that are for all intents and purposes Les Pauls, but without the price tag.

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I like it. :coffee:

5. Dekay82

Dekay82 SS.org Regular

I'm kinda of blown away, not by the guitar, but how this seems to come out of left field. He seemed to have a good relationship with Gibson. Maybe they were pissed he keeps selling the on the bay. In a perfect world, he'd get ESP to start sending "proper" explorer models to the States again.

6. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Judging by comments he made when he sold one of his touring LPs recently he was a bit pissed with the last signature LP run. Apparently Gibson chambered them and they weren't supposed to be chambered. He had the custom shop make him 3 non-chambered guitars to tour with.

EDIT: must have been longer ago than I thought since ebay doesn't have it saved. I just remember looking at the auction.

7. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

they did? that's a pretty dick move by gibson.

8. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I think Gibson is Algonquin for "dick moves". Fact.

9. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Maybe their space prog powers will open up a wormhole where Bill can rip up some patent filings. Make the world a better place for explorers.

10. Dekay82

Dekay82 SS.org Regular

I dunno, man, I'm disappointed and even a smidge butthurt. I always saw a connection between Mastodon being this super riff beast of a band and Bill being endorsed by the company that defined big, heavy American guitars. Heavy riffs, heavy 'Murrican wood.

I'm not angry, just weirded out a touch. Whatever. I love ESP guitars and I hope it works out for him and I can't wait to see what's next. That's probably the longest internet "rant" I've ever written.

11. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

So ESP runs out of red EMG pickups?

12. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

So much yes to this!!!!:bowdown:

13. BoneClaws

BoneClaws Young Old Man

For specs, I'd give it a 10/10. This is exactly what I'd want to see in a BK sig. I'd have been offended if he had gone to 25.5" scale or 24 frets or a skinny body or (perish forbid) EMG pickups. Of the available LTD sig guitars, this one is probably the most Gibson-like, in terms of build, cut and materials.

For the finish, I'd give it an 8/10. The color isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I actually LIKE deep green guitars. I agree that the satin texture is a bit Schecter-y but that's the only real downside.

On "Need for existing" I'd give it a ??/10. There's nothing about this guitar I absolutely hate but I can't figure out WHY it's there. I still want to try it but it's not the same kind of excitement I had for his REAL sigs.

This is exactly the reason why I wanted an Epi Golden Axe Explorer so damn much. If it makes financial sense to release a Silverburst Thunderhorse with more affordable Epi branding (awesome guitar, btw) then WHY couldn't I get a Golden Axe for less than $1,000?? :wallbash:

I don't know what his relationship with Gibson is but, if I had to speculate, I think A LOT of endorsements and signature deals just happen because the artist makes friends with the people at a certain company. If there are a half dozen brands that can build to a similar standard and give you whatever specs you want and offer similar terms for support and/or payment, you just choose whoever is the coolest to hang out with. That may sound crazy but chemistry matters in EVERY kind of relationship. Just look at the "Bill Hinds vs. Gibson" thread... his sig isn't Gibson branded because he didn't get along with those guys but he DID get along with Epiphone. Come to think of it, that's probably also the answer to my own question about why no Epi Golden Axe...

[​IMG]
    From your mouth to God's ears!
    Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. When I think of big, beefy, man's man music, Gibson is the only image that pops into my head. But ESP has been a viable alternative ever since Metallica started using their stuff back in the day. The important thing is that Mastodon never uses Ibanez guitars with credit card thin bodies or double locking trems or active pickups. The guitars must be at least as heavy and thick as the band's namesake, with technology as old as the Ice Age itself.

14. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Huh 25.5" scale

15. BoneClaws

BoneClaws Young Old Man

That's what Sweetwater says. But the press release from a day or two ago from ESP says 24.75"

Hmmm....

If I had to guess, I'd just assume Sweetwater made an error when creating the new product page.

16. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Wouldn't be the first time. It's usually best to trust the manufacturer. Occasionally the retailers muff up the specs.

17. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Yeah ESP says 24.75", i figured sweetwater just messed up

18. RaulThrashMetal

RaulThrashMetal Crazy metal garage scientist

Really? all his previous sigs were some of the most hot looking guitars ever. Never been a fan of barf green.

19. 7JxN7

7JxN7 SS.org Regular

I like the concept of the traditional/old school type burst (tear drop shape) with a slightly more modern colour scheme. With a slight tweak of the green (which could purely be lighting in the pics) it could be improved. My only real issue is with those inlays....... more tasteful fret markers would be a huge improvement.