New Bass Amp Day

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by asmegin_slayer, Nov 28, 2008.

1. asmegin_slayer

asmegin_slayer cali-cornia bluffer

So... some of my good friends have decided to start form a band and I decided to play bass for the band, (even though I'm more of a guitarist). So since it was black friday, I decided to go to guitar center and sell my old fender combo amp which i never use and use that trade to get a bass amp.. and so without further ado....

This is what I got...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres a good shot of how big it is compared to my guitars
    [​IMG]

Ampeg BA115, It sounded great at guitar center and the price was right, 329.99....

The sales guy gave me 150 for the guitar amp and subtracted it to the bass amp... he also gave me an additional 15% off!! so after tax and everything I ended up only paying 136.99.. Not bad I'd say??

BTW, I plugged it to the wall socket and turned it on with my guitar, just on clean, to make sure that it worked. It seemed good, but when i turned it off, it made a significant "pop" sound.... PLEASE tell me I didn't fuck it up? Could it be because the wall socket?

Mattmc74 likes this.
  2. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Congrats on the new amp. I'm not totally sure on the pop sound but im sure someone on here will be able to tell you.

3. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Nice score man:)

4. arnoroth661

arnoroth661 Tremol-no User Contributor

You know I just started playing bass for a band as well and this amp looks very promising. I might just have to look into one... :yesway:

5. arnoroth661

arnoroth661 Tremol-no User Contributor

Oh and BTW that loud pop sound may just be static electricity. It may not be related, but on my F-50, there's always a pop sound when i change from clean to distorted channel the first time. :shrug:

6. Ruins

Ruins SS.org Regular

congrats sweet score man! i am not sure about the pop sound what kind of it was but my old bassman 60w used to do a tightly lil pop as well when i tured it off and so does my current custom home made one in my rehearsal room.
    though in your case it could be something else i don't know maybe somebody else will be able to give you better answere.

7. Brendan G

Brendan G What is this then?

Very cool score.

8. Apophis

Apophis Banned

Congrats

9. bulletbass man

bulletbass man Classical & Metal

haha all my bass amps make that pop noise. Why I have no idea but they do.

anyways I've always liked ampegs. Bit of a one trick pony but that trick is pretty much awesome.

10. asmegin_slayer

asmegin_slayer cali-cornia bluffer

Thanks for everyone's kind words! totally awesome! :hbang:

I do have another question, there are two inputs, one is 0 db and the other is -15dB. In the manual it states that the 0dB is for "passive" bass guitar suited without active electronics or "hot" pickups. While the 15db is best suited for Active (hot) pickups?

Now I know that emgs are active pickups, but how would i know from a regular bass with regular pickups if its hot or not? The bass that I'm playing right is a peavy millenium bxp 5 string bass.

Cheers!

11. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Do you have to put a battery in your bass? If no go with the 0db(passive) in, else the -15db in.

12. thedonutman

thedonutman SS.org Regular

The Millenium BXP is Passive AFAIK.

If you plug a passive bass into the -15db input, it's just really quiet, because of the low input signal, and if you plug an active bass into the 0db one, it's really loud, and you'll probably notice because it will start to clip the preamp. And SS preamp distortion is not cool, not even for bass. :noway:

Nice amp! I've always wanted an Ampeg combo like that one, tried one at a shop when I was buying my bass and it sounded great.

13. EliNoPants

EliNoPants SS.org Regular

i've always wanted one of those, awesome score for that price, right now i've got a full-stack of bass gear, but nothing that i can really play quietly

and as for clipping with a solid state, yeah, it's about the nastiest goddamn sound you can imagine, and i love it, i keep my highs cranked on my SVT3-pro just so that when i hit hard, i get that sound of bone shattering, everyone else thinks it's awful, but it gets me off...were i a wealthy man, i'd find a way to have that sound combined with a nice clean warm tone...but alas, i can't play two basses at once, and i'm not rich enough to build the pedal that does that