New ampete day + home rig rebuild

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by noob_pwn, Mar 23, 2020.

1. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

So my mate John Browne introduced me to the good people at Ampete and now I have turned my “practice rig” into a multi amp midi switching behemoth.
    [​IMG]

I decided I wanted a 444 because I was sick of plugging and unplugging whatever amp I wanted to use. When it showed up I programmed my board to just recall all of my favorite channels on my VHT CL, bogner twin jet and diezel Herbert. Yes it’s a bit excessive but it’s also sick. It’s the only amp switcher that allows you to use a common fx loop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At home I run it into a Two Notes captor which goes straight into DAW and I use IR’s from times we’ve recorded or the Neural plugins with everything but the cab turned off.

[​IMG]

The board has an RJM PBC at the center with a digitech drop, Empress compressor, TS808HW, archer clean & swollen pickle in front. In the FX loop at the start is a sound sculpture volcano that lets me use an exp pedal to control volume without any tone or gain loss. Fortin zuul using key input from the radial io, MXR EQ for radio effect, Empress reverb and echosystem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It’s a lot of fun, hopefully this covid 19 thing doesn’t lead to me selling all of it for toilet paper and bread.

Gmork, couverdure, 4Eyes and 6 others like this.
  2. Chebax

Chebax SS.org Regular

This is sick mate!

As someone who uses a Triple Recto and a Suhr Reactive Load as a practice amp, i totally appreciate this setup.
    I'll forward this to the next person that says my practice rig is overkill. :)

Question, any of the three heads will give you an awesome metal sound. But the three of them are somehow in the same territory, if you know what I mean (not saying they sound the same). How do you choose to use one head or another at any given moment/patch?

Do you mix more than one at the same time?

Cheers!

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Wow, that's quite the practice rig. I also use the Volcano via midi control. It's hands down the best sounding volume thingy there is. You're the only other person I eer heard of having one. I use mine with midi control for exact postiion recall. It's almost like getting different amp channels at that point. Good stuff. Curious though what model expression pedal is that?

4. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

They've actually all got pretty different gain structures. The VHT is really tight and dry, the bogner is massive and saturated, the diezel sits in the middle but has a super dense low-mid to it. The VHT does crunch sounds really well with the EL34 poweramp, bogner has an awesome lead sound on ch1 and the diezel has a great clean channel.

Unfortunately I can't use any of them simultaneously with the 444, it only allows for one amp at a time, 1-2 cabinets and common fx loop on or off.

It's a VERY old mission EP-1 from when they first launched. I don't use it with midi, just with an expression pedal at the start of the fx loop.

c7spheres likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Overkill home rigs are the best :yesway: you've got great taste!

4Eyes likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This makes me feel way better about me impending new home rig. HNGD those Ampetes are so cool.