New Amp Day - Maybe Ends Searching Amps... just pause 2 contemplate

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
Picked up a JP-2C today along with a MESA Recto 2x12.
I went down to the MESA store in Hollywood and they were amazing in helping me find the right amp.
Within 10 minutes of plugging into the JP-2C and playing thrash riffs and shred, I knew that I was taking this amp home.

IMG_0232.jpg

It sounds wonderful at low volumes. There is a richness, 3D-dimension to the sound yet this Mark on channel 2 has a biting CHOMP aggressiveness to it that makes it addictive to play.
I love amps like the Ampeg VH-140c and the Randall RG1503 boosted with a TS but I lost it when I plugged the effects loop up with my chain which included a Grid Slammer in front and ISP G-string 2, Boss GE-7 in the loop and even on channel two I was getting sick grind and lead tones. That Boogie goes chomp chomp chomp... a wonderful grind to it, never played an amp quite like this.
Now, minus the TS trickery the amp solo can get brutal and sick by itself with boost, high-end shaping and gain options everywhere channel three was made for fiery solos with no boost needed and oh SHRED mode? Roll that treble down son! Many times you can get out of control. I was pleasantly surprised.

IMG_0234.jpg

The clean channel is absolutely clean and pristine yet has a hi end warmth to it that is pleasing to the ear.
Roll the gain down and turn that master up roll the mids down compressor and chorus and you get tones like Innocence Faded ("animation... etc") You can do jazz blues, rockabilly anything on this amp. I can't wait to try to do Pink Floyd tones from it using pedals straight in. The clean channel is better than the clean on my beloved VH-140c and probably the best clean channel I ever heard.
As I mentioned earlier I was paranoid about if 100 watts would be too much for home use. Well you know what, I tested the 60-watt vs 100 watt setting and found the 100-watt plugged into the MESA cabinet 8 ohms was better. MESA recommends using the 4-ohm speaker out for 60-watt mode. I can keep the master volumes on this amp at 9:00 and it's perfectly fine for my single family house.

IMG_0235.jpg

I will say that even with the 750 sliders down all the way, and mids at 11 o'clock it still sounds warm to me. There is a YouTube video where it sounds very scooped but believe me it doesn't sound like that in real life when you dial in the settings you like.
I learned how to use this metal riff crushing machine in ten minutes it's very easy to learn how to use but you need to read the manual.
The EQ is such a big part of this amp's sound. Shown are my favorite settings, I need to make a Judas Priest type setting for channel two but it's my second time with this amp the first time was when I tried it out on the MESA store.
Shout out goes to the folks at the MESA store in Hollywood they helped put my cabinet together, and were super cool. I will say that the rep I spoke to said "yes, it's those 6L6's" that's what makes that sound I like. Those vertical 2x12s sound pretty cool by the way. The store is top-notch as well wonderful guitars and pedals they got in there.
There is a whole backstory history of me and MESA amps always coming across them never playing them in the right situations, my old guitar teacher always used MESA (shoulda listened to him again.) Well... as far as this Mark IIc+ reissue is concerned? Right now I am stuck on boosting channel two (not pull gain or shred mode even) with an TS on front and there's an EQ and noise gate in the loop. I don't have many tube-amps, ENGL 530, Rockmaster, which are good, but I am loving this. None of my other amps are so sensitive to the nuances in my playing and bring out the real sound of the guitar and pickups. The cab is sweet too, can't wait to run the VH through it, and I'm out.

Post-note: The manual is extra special in that it has a detailed breakdown of this IIc+ vs the original and it's a fascinating read. Only MESA can write a manual that is a page turner. Something in the aesthetic of everything they do, is greatness and quality with no shortcuts.

Last edited:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Fantastic amp.

I spent Easter weekend with my buddy's JP-2C and compared it directly to my Mark IV. The JP-2C does a great job of updating the Mark series sound and adding some new tricks of its own. It's the tightest but still huge sounding of the Marks I've played or owned. The IIC+ Coli I had was bigger and more aggressive, but not as tight or defined, and a couple of IIIs I've played and my Triaxis on Lead 2 Red were maybe tighter out of the gate, but the JP-2C was much bigger sounding.

It's also a pretty open and uncompressed tone for the Mark series.

It didn't blow away my IV, and I'll admit I was hoping for it to be perhaps a bit more distinctive from it, but once I get the chance to play a couple of other amps on my list, the chances of me owning a JP-2C are extremely high.

And as someone who uses an EQ in the loop or after the Slave Out on my IV and has used them in other Marks too, scoop 400hz a bit and boost 3.2k slightly on your Boss and you'll get a really great old school thrash vibe and some Marshally-ness with the Mark type of distortion and feel.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Right it was the comment you left about it being the more modern one that caught my attention. Thanks for the tone settings man. I still really want to try a Mark IV as those are legendary, and this here amp just made my curiosity explode.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Grid slammer in the effects loop? Tell me more. Never heard of someone putting an OD after the preamp instead of before it

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah my bad, TS in front, fixed it. The Grid Slammer is very good too btw my second favorite to Keeley Modded TS-9

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
Here is just a starting good example of, using shred mode on channel three and EQ 1, getting a brutal tight high gain sound for home use using only the amp.
Look how low the master volume is. I reckon it would be way too quiet for most people. Presence is not pulled but gain is.
Palm mutes are still tight and defined, flub nicely not too much. The guitar using to test had a Seymour Duncan Custom

Last edited: