New all-around metal amp.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Garfish, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Garfish

Garfish SS.org Regular

Hi, Im new to this site, and i thought this would be the place to ask this question.

Im in need of a new, versatile amp. I play Metal in the genre of Amon Amarth, Machine Head, Pantera, Soilwork, In Flames and other bands in that area of metal. But the problem is, I also like to play oldschool rock and cleans. Atm. My rig is consists of a Peavey 5150 and an Engl Screamer 50. I use the Peavey for the metal and the Engl for the rock and cleans. I've decided to sell them both, and grab a amp which does both.

Here's where you come in. I've been thinking of amps like Engl Powerball, Mesa boogie Mark IV, Dual rectifier. Those seems to be quite versatile, but are there others worth taking a look at? Im the rhythm guitar in our band, and i like a fat, heavy, brutal sound.

My budget is around 1900 Euros, around $2500

Sorry if this is a noob, mainstream post.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Ever thought about giving the Marshall JVM410H a try?

EDIT: Or get an Engl E570 preamp + a power amp like the Matrix GT800FX. Maybe even the Engl Blackmore.

3. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

A recto is right up your alley or maybe a roadking? Mesa is Ssooo overpriced in europe though

4. glpg80

glpg80 √εvil

A bit out of your budget at $3,000 but i would recommend a Peters Chimera.

Check out James Peters amplification on google for the website. All amplifiers are handmade, PTP, built like a tank, and brutal is an understatement - works of art. Really aggressive or dial back your volume and instantly get clean tones on the heavy gain channel or switch to the clean and dirty it up a bit for classic rock - extremely balanced tonally and amazing build quality.

If you're wanting the super aggressive and also the classic rock all in one package i cannot think of a better amplifier to be honest, everything else will fall short on one or the other.

Peters Chimera - YouTube

the video is HD

the gain on this clip is set on 50% :hbang:

5. great_kthulu

great_kthulu SS.org Regular

I would suggest looking into the H&K triamp. The most versatile amp I have ever played. In five minutes I was able to dial in amon amarth, ac/dc, and even an eric johnson clean tone. All with the guitar straight into the amp.

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

How much is a Diezel VH4 where you are? That would do the trick.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

How does the Trilogy compare to the Triamp? If they compare, then he could get the Trilogy at an even cheaper price. I think they only costs 1000 Euro compared to the 2000 euro of the Triamp. :d

8. great_kthulu

great_kthulu SS.org Regular

I have never used the trilogy, so I can't compare it. I just know the triamp mk. II kicks all kinds of ass.

9. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Mark IV or V.

10. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

If you like brutal and want something that also does old school rock how does the 5150 not do it for you? I plug in my Peavey Wolfgang with no FX and it's instant EVH and AC/DC. Then I dial in some different settings, plug in my Loomis or RG2228, and it's time for In Flames, Scar Symmetry, or djenty etc type stuff.

But the cleans suck on the 5150... it's designed more for the dirty clean sound of EVH not bell like chime of say a Diezel VH4.

If you want something newer/better but along the same lines then try out the new EVH 5150-III amp. You have 12 tubes and 3 dedicated channels. It's much quieter on the distorted channels and because it has a dedicated clean channel it is much better too. The 50W version even has a resonance mod. The punch is phenomenal on that amp. Best of all the 50W is only $999 and the 100W is $1700.

Some other great versatile amps I've played in that price range that also have a dominant metal punch to them are:

Used Bogner Ecstasy
    New Diamond Nitrox
    New Engl Smolski - I would buy this before a Powerball...
    H&K Triamp MKII
    Soldano HR100+ (listen to Ola's metal demo of this!) - very versatile amp with the famous SLO lead channel built in! ***
    Fryette Pitbull or Sig:X - talk to Zimbloth (Nick) about these.... WOW! ***

Anyways, just some ideas... test drive as many as you can find that is the best part!

:)

11. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

Don't do Mesa if you are in Europe. You can find better out there for cheaper. Engl is pretty sick.. I used to own a Savage and that thing is a beast, it handles drop tuning with ease. The Blackmore is supposed to be a 2 channel version of the Savage I believe..

I will also 2nd the above recommendations of H&K Triamp, or Peters Chimera(Hydra user myself)

12. JohnnyD19

JohnnyD19 Well-Known Member

You may want to check out the new ENGL Retro tube 100. It can get you the clean and crunch sounds you're looking for, but throw a tube screamer in front of the amp and you can probably get those metal tones you're looking for.

13. Garfish

Garfish SS.org Regular

The JVM 410H isn't my cup of tea. My friend has one, and its just not the sound im looking for.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I want to check them all out. The problem is, I live in Denmark, and the market for these "special" amps are minimal, which means Im most likely going to buy it over the internet, and untried.

Mesa boogie and Engl is pretty common in Denmark, and theres a lot used for sale, that's why I thought it would be a good buy.

The Diezel VH4 would cost me almost $3900, and thats a bit out the league.

The H&K sounds interesting, so does the Fryette Sig:X but there is no chance of me testing them..

Anyone with experience of the Blackstar Series One amps?

14. DecrepitBeing

DecrepitBeing SS.org Regular

i will take that 5505 off your hands with a smile.

EDIT: he didnt say "5505" :[

15. Garfish

Garfish SS.org Regular

Sorry dude :(

16. Dead Undead

Dead Undead New again

Laney VH100R
    I also second the Fryette recommendation.

17. Deliverowned

Deliverowned Tabernach

Your in Europe, I suggest you jump on an ENGL Invader. OR Engl pre 530/70 +Engl poweramp.

18. Tvin

Tvin Member

I'd check out Splawn's Quik Rod, that thing has all you need + MORE

But Laney GH100L or Vh series are really good amps too, from personal experience a Laney gh50l with 6l6's, can't really go wrong.

..Splawn..man, do it ! :D

19. idunno

idunno SS.org Regular

Ive got the engl fireball 100 watter and it does everything from jazz cleans to sheer brutalitly. I love it and its a little cheaper than the other engls.

20. Joshua2209

Joshua2209 SS.org Regular

Those new black star heads seem rockin. Check them out.