New 8-string Headless model from Agile: Aphelion

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Backsnack, Nov 17, 2021.

1. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

I used to love burl too, but then someone on this board a few years ago mentioned "guitar herpes" and now I can't unsee it.

2. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

:lol:

3. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

I still love buckeye burl, which is very expensive and usually doesn't have the herpes look to it.
    [​IMG]

sell2792, Backsnack and Tree like this.
  4. Tree

Tree -________-

For the record, I like burl tops. Good burl tops. I was only referring to the green/blue you see everyone doing. I hate it.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've been enjoying Rondo's site for a long time and I love my Agile 7. I'm interested that these headless guitars are starting to get close to something I might enjoy, but there is still a little to be desired.

For the price, I don't really care too much about the little details, like the truss rod access points being misaligned, as long as the truss rods still work.

The fact that this is the first of these I've seen that is truly headless and not just a shrunken head is the biggest thing for me.

I'm not super excited about the crazy burled top or the crazy beveling or the burst finish. I think, for the price, it'd be safer to stick with a couple of solid finishes in popular colours (or even weird colours). The fact, though, that you can get a sub-$1000 guitar with $400+ worth of fairly unique pickups/hardware on it is really something.

Body shape is cool too. But, I'm kinda glad they don't have a seven in a solid colour, because it'd be too tempting.

Tree and Backsnack like this.
  6. Andii

Andii MAMMALHAMMER

Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
    The pickup positioning and angle looks like it would make this guitar incurably sound like total shit.

If they would get the details right these could be a more workable instrument that could get some hardware upgrades and be a serious instrument.

7. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

I'm with u, but I have a Chiral 8-string and it sounds fantastic, no issues at all re pickup placement...and if u don't believe me ;), I'm sure u could agree w/ the Aristides folks. These guys know what they're doing. This 7-string H07 w/ Fishmans seems to have a comparable configuration to the Agiles, no?
    [​IMG]

8. Andii

Andii MAMMALHAMMER

Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
    That guitar is not like the Agile. Look at the distance between where the string contacts the saddles and the bridge pickup on the Agile. Even though the string coverage by the pickup doesn't make me feel good about it, that's not the worst thing about it.

9. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

I'd rather have that pickup angle than one where the pickups can't get full signal strength on the outer strings :2c: Alternatively they could use wider pickups to ensure full coverage, but I imagine that comes with extra cost and logistics challenges since it may warrant using different pickups depending on choice of fan.

Still prefer the Chiral profile to this, but it's nice to have options for different tastes.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021 at 1:55 PM