New 70s rock tune with vocals

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by phugoid, Jun 1, 2015.

1. phugoid

phugoid SS.org Regular

I'd love to hear your thoughts about a new song I've been working on. It's an Internet collaboration - songwriter in USA, singer in France, myself on bass, guitars and mixing.

My biggest challenge imo was the vocals. There was some distortion in the original recording that I found doing boost-and-sweep - I removed it with two notch filters. Worse was dealing with the wide dynamics. To get the softest part (start of both verses) to be audible and the climaxes to be tolerable I used two compressors. Maybe I sucked too much life out of her...

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/phugoid/set-me-free[/sc]

I would love to get feedback about any part of it. I just want to learn and improve.

2. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

This is really different man. I don't really like her voice, but other than that it all sounds good. Very cohesive. Great classic guitar tone as well.

3. fr4nci2c0

fr4nci2c0 SS.org Regular

You may not want to hear this, but the songwriting is not good. Everything suffers because the song is kind of pointless.

4. phugoid

phugoid SS.org Regular

Thanks, guys. I like hearing the first impression, even if it's not altogether positive.

The vocals have been the difficult part - there was some distortion in the recording (soft-clipping) and also the dynamic range is really wide... Listening back to it now I think it needs a lot more compression (and maybe riding the fader) - the loud parts are way loud and the soft parts are too soft...

As for songwriting, do you mean the lyrics, the vocal line, or the arrangement? Put it another way - if there's one thing you would change to make it more to your taste, what would it be?

Edit: Glad you like the guitar tone - it was recorded with a DI box into a Scarlett 2i4 interface, then run through Guitar Rig 5 and some Reaper EQ. No reverb on the rhythm guitars, a little slap delay and reverb on the solo.