New 2 Channel Rectifier? - Badlander

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by protest, Nov 14, 2020.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

From my pov, I don't know why the VH4 is ever compared to the Pittbull. I mean, maybe with boosts or things, but I always found the Pittbull to be inherently the tighter of the two. Maybe tighter is not the word...it might not be responding faster/cutting faster, but because it's a drier sound I think it would be perceived that way.

Apex1rg7x and Thaeon like this.
  2. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

One thing i hate about the amp are the knobs. They should have left the original recto knobs on there, cuz these things are fugly as hell!

Hopefully the thread is the same size so i can just swap them out.

Necky379 likes this.
  3. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

They definitely don’t sound similar at all. Just on most of the lists I’ve seen people making about the tightest amps, the VH4 and Pittbull have been the top two mentions. You are correct though. They don’t sound remotely similar.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I want to hear it up against a Mark IV. I love the Mark tone, but this has some pretty cool options that would be neat, too.

Let me ask you guys a question, though. I’m assuming that the power options of 100, 50, 20 watts are just using 4, 2, 1 of the EL34s. The volume decrease is going to be negligible, and the rest of the signal chain is going to be the same (same transformers), so what is the purpose of it? To try to get power amp distortion and compression? It’s not a feature specific to this amp, but I’ve never understood the rationale for it, and most people talk about it being for playing quieter, but we know that makes little sense.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Could the 20W just be a switching from like pentode to triode or something along those lines? I don't know why, but I just rarely see amps running on one tube -- are these amps push-pull designs?

Hollowway likes this.
  6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

some combination of variable voltage and cutting the number of tubes or triode pentode.

so 4/2 pentode/triode.

Keep in mind that there isn't a legal requirement or industry standard for how these claims have to play out.

The only thing is that the output wattage needs to be decked to about the maximum claimed. This could easily be done by just cutting the input volume at the pi. which some amps actually do.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, you’re probably right. It’s probably running in Class A or something for the 20 watt setting.

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

That's not how modern power scaling works. I would assume 100 to 50W is just turning off a pair of EL34s but the 20W mode reduces voltages in the amp instead while still running 2xEL34. Variac switch probably does the same thing but in a different way.

The switches' effect on the volume will be 100 -> 50W = 3 dB volume drop, 50 -> 20 will probably be around 3-4 dB as well. That's not a whole lot. The bigger difference will be in how the amp feels to play. It will be a bit less tight and aggressive at 50W and even more so at 20W. It's a shame they did not go for per channel power scaling here like many of their other amps as that would let you get a bit "spongier" response for the lower power settings which might be enjoyable for cleans and bluesier tones. I doubt most buy the amp for those though!

Hollowway likes this.
  9. MESA Boogie

MESA Boogie SS.org Regular

You can order the amp with the option of the knurled knobs! All custom options are available on ALL of our amps and cabs. Thanks!

Ribboz, Emperoff, Deadpool_25 and 7 others like this.
  10. MESA Boogie

MESA Boogie SS.org Regular

Correct! 100w = 4 x EL34 pentode. 50w = 2 x EL34 pentode. 20w = 2 x EL34 triode.

11. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Oh, sweet! Thanks!!!

Deadpool_25 and MESA Boogie like this.
  12. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

I'm so stoked for this amp! It will go nicely with my Racktifier!

13. Vince

Vince Contributor

I've gotta disagree chief. These are the same knobs, I think, that are on the Iridium preamp pedal, and they're great. You can see them from across a room or stage. Try to see recto knob positions from across a room, especially with the silver knobs or with eyes older than 40 :)

14. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I like the look of vintage amps. This one actually looks pretty classy. I wish it had MIDI. Also, I'm over 40, and seeing the knobs is a big deal to me.

15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Haha. I do like the knobs.

16. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I dunno. The original recto knobs just pair a lot better with the diamond faceplate, imo.

17. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I like the original knobs because then people can't judge me for treble 10 mid 0 bass 10. I can't even judge me cuz I'm sitting five feet from the amp and cannot tell wtf settings I have dialed in.

I've shocked myself a couple times by turning it on at home without realizing it was still set to gig volume

Wolfhorsky, Azarea, vilk and 10 others like this.
  18. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

ss.org gonna ss.org

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

It's a simple 2-channel amp so all you need is a MIDI relay switcher like the one Suhr offers.

Also :lol: yeah @KnightBrolaire is spot on. People are shocked that an amp thats supposed to sound like a boosted recto... sounds like a boosted Recto. :lol:

technomancer and Thaeon like this.
  20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Worse than no MIDI is that the gosh darn footswitch jack is on the front like some cheap lunchbox.

Emperoff and Thaeon like this.