New 2 Channel Rectifier? - Badlander

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by protest, Nov 14, 2020.

1. cmpxchg

cmpxchg SS.org Regular

more thoughts after more time with the 100:

- crunch channel is superb
    - crush channel likes a boost (or super high output pickups, eg Fluence Modern V1) but sounds great with pretty much any boost that I've tried (with minor differences depending on the boost EQ)
    - EQ knobs have wider usable ranges than on the TC-100, which seemed to like being near noon
    - too busy playing it to try 6L6s, whoops

is it a 1:1 replacement for a Dual Rec? no, there's clearly shared lineage, but Badlander is its own thing. is it a minorly tweaked Triple Crown? no, it does not sound that similar to the Triple Crown to my ears, and I've got them sitting next to each other. would I take the Badlander over a Dual Rec? well, I did that, but I've never had a great Dual Rec experience either. for the sounds I like, yeah, I think the Badlander is probably the better choice for me.

what I don't like about the Badlander: the control setup. I like the TC's per-channel EQ and power approach better than the Badlander's two user-configurable channels. for recording, Badlander's fine and maybe better than the TC because I can A/B settings, leave one channel where I like it and tweak the other, but sometimes I miss switching between clean + crunch + crush via footswitch alone. I feel like Badlander would be a pain to use live if you wanted all three sounds. then again, maybe this is a reflection of where things are going (or have gone): use amps in the studio, use modelers live.

Masoo2, Deadpool_25, Jeff and 2 others like this.
  2. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I shot a video doing a brief comparison of the stock EL34 to the 6L6.

TLDR: 6L6 has the same impact you'd expect. More lows/low mids. Less upper mids. More highs. Not as Tight.

I feel the amp shines with the EL34. I'm going to try KT77 and EL34B in the amp in the near future.

Deadpool_25, Jeff and cmpxchg like this.
  3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Oh shit I should try some 6L6 in this, wonder if that might address the low mid thing.
    No need for a bias right?

Ribboz, MatrixClaw and Deadpool_25 like this.
  4. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

No sir. Just toss those bad boys in.

5. cmpxchg

cmpxchg SS.org Regular

well, that and hit the switch on the back to 6L6. I'm a bit curious about JJ E34Ls in the Badlander; I ended up with those in my TC because they were slightly more aggressive than the Mesa EL34s and I wanted a bit more bass without going 6L6. Definitely want to hear what you get with KT77s, though.

BadSeed, Deadpool_25 and Jeff like this.
  6. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Still no word on my Badlander 100 ST. But I have a quad of 6L6s just waiting...

MatrixClaw likes this.
  7. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Yeah, I’d be curious about KT77’s as well.

8. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I'll be sure to report my findings here. I'm a fucking idiot and forgot to hit record in my DAW while filming so my recorded video on the tube comparison is scrapped for now. I may re record tomorrow.

Deadpool_25 and LCW like this.
  9. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Yup crunch tone as sick. Crush tone was a huge letdown. I went from "hey prolly gonna buy this" to "nah fuck it" just with the flip of that switch. Too much money for only one good tone. If it had channel assignable power, I'd happily run two crunches, one at 20w one at 100, but it doesn't for some mysterious reason. No idea why they left that out. Tube recto woulda been really nice to have too.

Crunch is about 90% the same as a Stiletto with a little less saturation and a lot less presence. I was hoping the Crush tone would get down somewhere between Recto Modern and Stiletto Fluid Drive but it's pretty boring. I went back and listened to it through Cabclone, absolutely cranked and liked it better but I was using Beyerdynamic DT880s which are super hyped in the treble. I think you're onto something, it's a really sick studio tone - the rackmount version makes a ton of sense. In the room tho... nah. especially compared to 3 channel stuff Mesa sells for the same amount of cash.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Meeotch likes this.
  10. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Intro song sounded pretty good imo

11. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I like that it doesn't have too much gain.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  12. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

This is Badlander with Precision Drive in front, Suhr loadbox and GGD Zilla on Swedish technique preset with added k100 speaker.

13. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

There's nothing there/ No link.

14. Jon Pearson

Jon Pearson SS.org Regular

Neato. Sounds pretty dope dude.

15. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

well that rules.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  16. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

The old angry youtuber with the long hair already proved "scientifically" that tubes don't matter though.

17. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

And then walked it back a bit when another youtuber said they DID notice a difference. Lol

18. blkroseimmortal

blkroseimmortal SS.org Regular

I have a question from those who bought the 50w version of the badlander. Do you regret not getting the 100W version? Does the 50W have enough low end grunt? Just recently ordered the 50W version but debating whether or not to return it and wait to find the 100W version. Thanks.