Never bought pickups for a 6 before.. advice?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by WhoThenNow7, Mar 13, 2015.

1. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

As the title says, I've never bought pickups for a 6 before, and correct me if I'm wrong, but an (dimarzio) EVO for a 7 isn't necessarily the same as an EVO for a 6.

For 7's, I like the d-activator, paf-7, and evo-7. I also like the crunchlab and liquifire.

I have an Ibanez RG470 MIJ, awesome guitar, but I'm ready to get rid of the V7 and V8 (and possibly the middle) pickups and get something better.

What I really notice me wanting more of when I play the guitar, is more sustain. More sustain and less muddy. I just want things to be nice and clear with plenty of sustain- not necessarily an extreme high output pickup, but if it's popular enough on this board then I'll give it a shot. I'd like to stick with dimarzio because they seem best for the price in my experience.

I was thinking possibly a d-activator or evolution for the bridge.. and possibly a dominion for the neck.

I'm basing it mostly off of the specs from dimarzio's website.. any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Maybe even a paf pro for the neck?

2. Stooge1996

Stooge1996 SS.org Regular

I've got D'activators in all of my Ibanez's. I can't help you with the other pickups but I love the dactivators. Nice tight sound and i find them quite clear

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have a D-Activator/PAF Pro pair in one of my RG's and I love it! I've also had good results with a DA bridge and Liquifire neck

4. WhoThenNow7

Awesome, I love it in my 7 so I'm glad to hear they sound good as a 6!

The d-activator and paf pro combo was what I was just thinking, gotta try it out ASAP now!

The liquifire is another good option, though. Out of the liquifire and the paf-pro, which one did you find more clear?

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I'd say the PAF Pro has the upper hand in clarity due to it being voiced slightly brighter like a hot rodded PAF, but that's not to say the Liquifire is unclear; it's just smoother and warmer overall. Great for soloing!

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I have one guitar with D-Activators which sound tight and articulate. They handle gain really well. I also replaced the Dimarzio/Ibz pups on another guitar with a Tonezone/AirNorton set and all I gave to say is wow! I had tried the AirNorton 7 and the 6 is a little less crunchy. The ToneZone addressed all my issues with the previous pup, no more honky mids and scratchiness and it sounds huge and articulate.

7. wilch

wilch SS.org Regular

I put a pair of PAF 36th anniversary pups in my basswood RG and love them. love the way they feel. They also have a lot of clarity, and are very dynamic.

[YouTubevid]tJD3I1FRx2Y[/YouTubevid]

[YouTubevid]7l9OONeWWQM[/MEDIA]

8. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

Dude it's more or less the same shit tbh, don't overthink it.

9. WhoThenNow7

Good to hear I think I'm set on the d-activator. Tone Zone was another one I was curious about but I'll try that on another guitar!

Nice tone! PAF's are great, I didn't see those on their website though. I'm sure I could find them on eBay or Amazon, though.

Yeah I'm sure you're right, but I figured I would ask for some opinions because every time I read one of these threads, someone usually expresses how they're unhappy with their choice, but they thought they would like it because they have the same pup in their seven!

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

If all you care about is sustain, get a Sustainiac.

Sorry, temptation was too high.

Generally, the bigger the magnet, the more damping on the strings. Guitar pickups with weaker magnets allow more sustain. Also more winding equals more damping, but to a somewhat lesser extent. So a PAF will give you more natural sustain than an X2N. However, if you rely on feedback from the amplifier, you can actually reverse the effect and get infinite sustain (which is actually what the Sustainiac does, although it does so in a more direct manner), so with the right amp settings, you'll get more sustain out of the X2N than the PAF. Confused yet?

If you'll excuse me being frank with you, there shouldn't really be any reason to worry about sustain unless you play clean. Just hit the right spot in the room, then wiggle the string a little and the note should sing all day long. You don't even need a very specific tone setting to do that.

With that in mind, go with whichever pickup sounds right to you.

11. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Regular

I have the Illuminator neck and Transition Bridge. Sustain is definitely not an issue.

The Transition bridge isn't necessarily the highest output pickup, but it's tight and has no mud, while maintaining the Dimarzio characteristic tone. You can hear the harmonic content in each note played. I would recommend this bridge if you solo as well as riff with the it.

Illuminator is very similar to the liquifire and air norton in sound, I wouldn't want to differentiate them as much as some people have. Awesome lead sounds when the gain is turned up. Lo gain or Mid-gain is good of course, but it's shines in hi-gain tones IMO.

12. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

Based on what you want out of it, I think you might like the SH-5 Duncan Custom. I've had one a little over 2 years and still love the thing. I have it in the bridge of an LTD MH-100QMNT. It may be a lower end guitar but I lucked out and got one with no construction flaws. Sound wasn't fantastic at first but since I put the Custom in, I think it's the best sounding of my 3 electrics. The others being a Jackson SLSMG(85 in bridge, 81 neck) and an Ibanez RG3EX1(with stock Designed by EMG pickups that need to be swapped out).

Also, not sure where you planned on getting it from but at Guitar Center(I don't know about other stores) you have I believe 30 days to get a refund so you could even get a few models, find the one that works for you, and get your money back on the others.

13. WhoThenNow7

That was really informative, thank you for that. You just made my decision that much easier!

I use a lot of hi-gain so that's good to hear. Everyone wants a versatile pick-up, but we all have our main priorities!

Good tip on guitar center. I may have to get a couple and try them all out!

14. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

For a basswood RG, I don't think you could go wrong with Crunchlab/Liquifire. Maybe try a Breed in the bridge for a slightly fatter A5 sound.

15. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

im a big fan of the duncan distortion - cant go wrong with that if your playing metal

16. bluemooo

bluemooo SS.org Regular

I thought the ionizers were supposed to have really good sustain.

17. saminator

saminator Do you even praise, bro?

They do, but Ionizers only come in 7 and 8 string models. OP wants pickups for a 6 string.

As for pickups that I recommend: I have the Evo set in my JS1200 and they sound awesome. I've also had the Evo 2 in that guitar and it's similar to the Evo, but with more dynamics (you do sacrifice that in-your-face power however). Those pickups are probably more compressed than some mentioned already, but I think you'd still really like them.

18. O00Coolzero00O

O00Coolzero00O SS.org Regular

I actually installed Dimarzio Illuminator7s in my S7421qm and they sound awesome- like a tighter more resonant Liquifire and Crunchlab.