Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do agree the Helix sounds great, but the Fractal shit has more of the amps I like so unless Line 6 really expands their amp lineup, I'm staying with the Fractal stuff, since they have the JVM, EVH 5153, and a Mark IV that lets you switch between different settings and modes.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
The Fractal ability to switch impedance curves is very useful for me (since I play through cabs and not necessarily the "default" cab for these sims). It makes such a huge difference to the tone that it's made me nervous to really look into other things for modeling. (For profiling, I'd try to just profile a line out from the head (but while the head is connected to my cabinet), so that should all work out I think).

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Reaction score
That and to my ear, Helix and AxeFX sound "exactly" the same, in terms of quality of sound, and personally I find Helix's user interface to be a bit more easy to use and navigate, and costs half. Not shitting on AxeFX at all, I'm just in love with my Helix LT. Like legit I'd fuck this thing.

Should clarify that I wasn't shitting on the more expensive modellers either, they are fantastic pieces of kit. I just think that after the Helix it really is diminishing returns, it's sub 5% (if that even) difference for significantly more expenditure.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Fractal's sound awesome and in general, I'm sure they are 100% more equipped than my helix, I just have been playing my helix for a few years now and still find some new way I can use it every single day of my life, so to spend double the money on something like that is just overkill at this point for me at least.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do agree the Helix sounds great, but the Fractal shit has more of the amps I like so unless Line 6 really expands their amp lineup, I'm staying with the Fractal stuff, since they have the JVM, EVH 5153, and a Mark IV that lets you switch between different settings and modes.
A 5153 and JVM sim would be tits for the Helix/PODGo.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seriously, they're such popular amps that I'm surprised they haven't put them in yet.

If you can put in a Supro and Grammatico, you can put in JVM and EVH. :lol:
Honestly with the right tweaking and IR's id say the BE100 would get you pretty damn close to both amps. I watched a video about a month ago of Kiko's from a little mini rig rundown and he was showing they are using the BE100 sim on the QC. That should say something, I'm pretty sure they still track in the studio with the JVM's.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly with the right tweaking and IR's id say the BE100 would get you pretty damn close to both amps. I watched a video about a month ago of Kiko's from a little mini rig rundown and he was showing they are using the BE100 sim on the QC. That should say something, I'm pretty sure they still track in the studio with the JVM's.

I like them both for certain sounds. The BE100 more classic saggy modded Plexi sounding and the JVM more of a stiffer modern Marshall JCM. I'm sure with heavy EQing the BE100 can sound close, but there's some unique qualities each one has.

Literally the only reason I still have GAS after getting an HX Stomp are those 2 amps. Got a 5153 now and eyeing up any JVMs that come on the used market for cheap.

I know I said the JVM is popular, but I still feel like it's a really underappreciated amp. It's legit my most used in the Axe III next to the Mark IV, TriAxis, and 5153 Red.

Reactions: drb

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the average Marshall customer gets scared by the amount of knobs and buttons on the JVM. Then the average customer interested in those kind of amps usually won't give Marshall a chance, so there it sits.

I think it's a great sounding amp, but they're not built that well and for the price they go in the US you guys sure have better alternatives like the Friedmans. I've been close to buy the Satriani sig more than one, since they go dirt cheap used around here.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know I said the JVM is popular, but I still feel like it's a really underappreciated amp. It's legit my most used in the Axe III next to the Mark IV, TriAxis, and 5153 Red.

I've never even played one, but I'm from the UK so I feel some patriotic obligation to get a Marshall. However, the videos I've seen from the likes of Rabea, Ola, and SonicDriveStudios' Jon playing the JVM honestly makes it sound unbelievable. It just has something strange going on harmonically that make it sound incredible. I've been tempted to get one of the new DSL range like the 20HR or 100HR but I feel like it won't really scratch the itch of the full blown JVM.

I think the average Marshall customer gets scared by the amount of knobs and buttons on the JVM. Then the average customer interested in those kind of amps usually won't give Marshall a chance, so there it sits.

I think it's a great sounding amp, but they're not built that well and for the price they go in the US you guys sure have better alternatives like the Friedmans. I've been close to buy the Satriani sig more than one, since they go dirt cheap used around here.
Lmao I feel bad that Marshall are stuck being punished for innovating because of the old guard crowd who just want to live in the past. It feels similar to Gibson and Fender where they tend to just go with what their audience wants but then get criticised for not innovating.

I had absolutely no idea about them being badly built, gonna look at some common issues before I inevitably get one then.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Lmao I feel bad that Marshall are stuck being punished for innovating because of the old guard crowd who just want to live in the past. It feels similar to Gibson and Fender where they tend to just go with what their audience wants but then get criticised for not innovating.

I had absolutely no idea about them being badly built, gonna look at some common issues before I inevitably get one then.

I have to clarify that most of the issues I heard were of course by the time I was interested in them. No clue if they have improved them since then.

They are like 1200€ in EU. That is dirt cheap for a 100W "made" in UK amp. Since we're definetely not talking boutique pricing, I don't expect the construction to be either.

For Marshall tones I am severely GAS'd for the Victory Sheriff. I have an EL34 amp so getting the V4 Sheriff Preamp would probably suffice...

Last edited:
Reactions: drb

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I see that 1.3 is out today. I don't own a modeler but I've got my eye on QC for down the road. Looper and freeze are nice additions, but was hoping to see a bit more. They added a couple more tweed suitcases, chorus/flanger, and a bunch of UI stuff. What's the userbase vibe?

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I see that 1.3 is out today. I don't own a modeler but I've got my eye on QC for down the road. Looper and freeze are nice additions, but was hoping to see a bit more. They added a couple more tweed suitcases, chorus/flanger, and a bunch of UI stuff. What's the userbase vibe?
No longer have a QC but it is a pretty significant update. They still have a long way to go so my crystal ball says maybe end of 2022 or start of ‘23 is when they start to have most things in place, if they can deliver a computer editor this year.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see anyone talking about these anymore. Some guys are using them live, but they don't seem to be catching up after the hypebubble exploded.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I still have mine. I like the simplicity and it sounds good to me, but I'll admit that I'm fairly easy to please.

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't see anyone talking about these anymore. Some guys are using them live, but they don't seem to be catching up after the hypebubble exploded.
Same. QC is gone from my YouTube front page now. And I still haven’t seen one in the wild, let alone played one.

I’m still very open to the idea of buying one. But they really need a computer editor and tone cloud. And ideally, the ability to load up my Nameless, Granophyre etc plugins on there. That was mentioned ages ago and I don’t think it’s come to fruition yet.