Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

That's fine, I'm not expecting or requiring it to be attached. Just included and functional. Totally understand not wanting an attached one, or not wanting one from the same company, but they're limiting the function of the device out of the box by not including one IMO. It's not rack gear, its a floor modeler, so I don't really get the comparison. I think it makes sense for the smaller devices like the FM3 or the HX Stomp to not have them attached/included because those are designed to ultra-compact. If that was Neural's intention they added four too many footswitches to the device to meet the requirement anyways, might as well make it all useable out of the box. Fractal and Line 6 both end up with a lot of people using (much less expensive) third party controllers because they're proprietary ones are overpriced for a controller and also don't include an expression pedal.
    I already had this discussion once, I'm not talking about an integrated EXP pedal attached to the device. I'm talking about making all of the features of the unit available to the end user out of the box.

RevDrucifer likes this.
  2. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Would you rather they charge £100 extra and include one in the box or just spend the £100 on one of your choice?

Either way you are paying for the kit. I would rather pay less and use what I (and many others) already have.

laxu likes this.
  3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If the r&d supported including an expression pedal, they probably would have :shrug:

RevDrucifer likes this.
  4. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Truth is most people prefer to not have a built in pedal nowadays. I'm not one of them, but the growing popularity of switchers and small multi-FX units integrated into pedalboards shows that most people would rather add their own pedals.

5. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Everyone’s entitled to their opinions and preferences for sure, but, FWIW, I think you are probably in the minority on your take there. Definitely strikes me as an odd thing to draw a line in the sand over. There are plenty of better reasons NOT to buy into this unit, right now anyway. LOL.

Like some others, I consider it a misfeature to have an EXP built-in (IMHO EXP are one of the more failure prone ‘peripherals’ for a processor) and don’t really see why you would expect one otherwise, since a majority of units do NOT have one included.

6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Yeah count me in to the "no integrated expression pedals" crowd. I'd rather have my Helix be 1/4 smaller than having the expression pedal built in. Sure it works fine but I can't place it where it is most convenient for me without moving the whole unit, I can't leave it out if I want to have something more portable.

c7spheres likes this.
  7. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Review summary at 35:43 kinda sums it up for me from the point of view of a studio user.

RevDrucifer and Randy like this.
  8. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

The hard line for me was the that footswitches seem too close together for a busy live show and the overall design looks more like a desktop device that includes footswitches than a performance device that also works as an audio interface. Then the delays, what was included in the initial firmware (or more what wasn't), lots of reported noise issues with other electronics after they did ship. I'm probably also in the minority that if I buy an floor modeler performance is primary concern and getting an all-in-one device that still requires additional hardware, then a pedalboard to make changeovers as easy as something like the Helix or the GT-1000. It seems 80% of the people buying hardware in this realm these days are playing Madison Square Basement (which is fine) and aren't concerned with cables, PSUs, etc as possible failure points or striking and loading a stage in 5 minutes. I'm probably also in the minority in that I've owned floor modelers since the GT-5 and have never had an EXP pedal, footswitch, or display crap out on me over the life of any of them while I was using them. I've had way more single pedals have function/hardware issues. It it what it is, but I'd take something that's 99% as good of a sound with 100% of the features I want over the device that might sounds 1% better.

Elric and mikah912 like this.
  9. Emperoff

Well, if it's of any comfort you can count me in in that minority. I've made a truckload of shows with just a Boss GT-100 controlling my tube amp. I've definetely had more issues with separate pedal setups, so I keep those for my less serious projects since I still like to fiddle with pedals (and there is another guitarist to cover me if shit happens).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    GunpointMetal likes this.
  10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Personally I did not find that the switches were too close together for my feet but this will be personal preference. I'll take more cramped switches than the 3 switch setup on the FM3. The screen is also much more readable on the floor than the tiny text of the FM3 and the gig view is pretty nice.

I do agree that the QC works best as a desktop device. That's where it's easiest to use.

mikah912 and GunpointMetal like this.
  11. bronxct1

bronxct1 SS.org Regular

My unit arrived yesterday. I haven’t been keeping up with anything around this since I ordered so I spent last night setting it up and messing around a bit with the presets and some captures. I liked what I heard so today I’ll dig deeper. This seems like the perfect thing for me as I can’t play loud all the time with the kid. Really easy to use and get some good sounds so far.

12. budda

Kind of damning for a floor unit :lol:

13. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Remember in 2011 or 2012 when those hard drive factories flooded and the price of a 1TB HDD tripled overnight, then the prices only ever came back down to like double what they were before? :(

Whenever a company talks about how cRaZy PoWeRfUL their new effects unit is it makes me laugh since most people (including myself) who get it are just looking to recreate a 5150 tone, and my POD from 2009ish does that passably well.

Emperoff likes this.
  14. Emperoff

Indeed. Same thing with the RAM memory. Now graphics cards due to miners, etc. They won't go back to pre-mining prices either. Manufacturers just ride the wave and always end up winning in the long run.

And yes, your statement about modellers was spot on :lol:. Gotta say older units sound surprisingly good with proper IRs, though!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  15. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I'd say the same about pretty much any floor unit. I hate reaching down to the floor to adjust anything. But at the same time I don't like rack units either as they are often larger and heavier than needed plus having a decent size display quickly makes them 3 or 4U.

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Give it a rest.

I'm a Fractal user too, but this is just ridiculous.

Nik_Left_RG and Matt08642 like this.
  17. budda

You didn't laugh when you read that line? He clears it up in the next post anyway.

That's not a "fractal is better" reaction, that's a "my car works best parked" comedy chuckle.

Emperoff and Randy like this.
  18. Randy

Randy Tony Lazuto?! Super Moderator

Hopped over to the TGP thread for the first time in a few months, Jesus Christ what a sycophantic crowd.

I can't believe the way people gloss over the price increase as if it's insignificant. Yeah everyone's hurting but still the biggest price hike of any of the modeling companies at the moment and not insignificantly leapfrogged the entire Kemper non-powered line in one shot.

Goes from a $1500-ish dollar unit to a $2000+ unit with NYS tax and shipping. $2000 for a unit you put on the floor is just not reasonable, period. And yes it can be used as a desktop model but a pedal on a stand is hokey.

They should've eaten it on the material costs and saved the $$$ increase for the "Quad Cortex Pro" studio/rack unit and could be 99% of the same guts but in a format that's more appropriate for a pro studio.

With the lifecycle of these things (5 to 10 years), yeah the Quad Cortex is a popular unit because it's new and the hype is bonkers but after the newness has worn off, can you see a studio with a QC sitting on the desk the same way tons of studios have Kempers, Fractals and even Helix racks mounted as part of their workflow? Ain't gonna happen. The form factor is a limitation and the pricepoint of the floor unit boxes them in.

19. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I don't think I would like it as a rack unit at all. To me the workflow is just not all that suited for it. The touchscreen and knobs underneath it make it just better to be used on the desk more like a mixer or something. The typical workflow is to tap on screen and then work the knobs, then tap something else and go back to the knobs. While you can adjust controls from the screen too, it's just nicer to have that physical feel. Maybe when they release a desktop editor for it a rack mounted version makes more sense but personally I'd rather see it designed differently from the floor unit or else you probably have a 3-4U touchscreen thing with a lot of empty space.

20. Randy

Randy Tony Lazuto?! Super Moderator

I have no use for a rack unit either but I'm just going off of what I see other companies doing to target audience for this price range.

Really, the problem NDSP had is that most companies start with a rack unit, then a floorboard, then a condensed floorboard. They jumped straight to the condensed floorboard. Which makes it tempting since that's where everyone ends up eventually but getting it out of order kinds screwed up the rollout.

The form factor will remain a deal breaker for a lot of folks, so yeah they have the option to plug those gaps with subsequent releases but they released what everyone else typically market as their cheapest box (FM3, HX Stomp, Stage). Are people going to pay $2000 to $2500 for a bigger QC or a rack version? Tough call.