Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

People forget now that the Line6 and Fractal devices have been out for years that they also launched with all kinds of problems. It took months for Fractal to get the FM3 to shape without USB issues and the latest firmwares still have plenty of bugs. By comparison I have felt that QC hasn't had any major ones except that power supply noise issue some were experiencing. I never ran into it myself so it might not be a problem with the way electricity is in Finland.

Making new hardware and software is not easy. Making a device that surpasses devices with a decade or more of incremental development behind them is even harder. NeuralDSP overestimated how fast they can get it out. If they had taken one more year to develop it and released it this fall like the original plan was for last year, it would have been better received and in a more ready condition. So far they have been pretty quick at pushing out small improvements, 2 updates within a month.

I warned people well before release that QC would not be a game changer. That's a very difficult thing to be when digital modeling is so good already. But the QC does raise the stakes in several areas: Hardware design, usability and capturing/profiling. Having had the QC for almost a month, as a device I felt it was the best of the bunch. It looked good, felt good and was nice to use. It was purely on the software side where it needs more work.

sleewell and TonyFlyingSquirrel like this.
  2. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I’ve been bit by buying a product only to have it go on sale, so bring on the price increases!

However, it does impact my plan to get another so I can claim to have an Octo Cortex :lol:

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Fm3 had the headphone jack debacle. The QC seems far worse off :2c:.

What plenty of bugs does the fm3 have now? Are you talking about the beta release, which is where users are meant to find bugs (after the in-house testing)? This forum has a few fm3 owners, and bad news travels fast. Where's the barrage of comments I missed for official fw releases?

cwhitey2 likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I'm also trying to remember Helix issues/bugs. I actually remember a lot of hate for the Helix before it released (calling the QoL features a gimmick, peoople being skeptical about free amps/effects in future patches), but then got more positive reception upon release.

Jeff likes this.
  5. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I had issues with volume controls not working already on 3.02 and have different issues with those on 4.00 betas. Seen footswitch displays not work too and that seems to be fairly reported at least for betas (which to be fair are betas like you said). I have had the FM3 restart itself all of a sudden. Also it was recently discovered that FM3 handles 5V MIDI devices incorrectly, feeding too much voltage into them because it doesn't have a resistor to limit it. The solution is to make an adapter cable with a resistor wired in.

Most people won't encounter any of these. The major ones for the FM3 were the headphone issue and the USB issues.

I avoided the Helix for a long time because my opinion of Line6 was that they release stuff that doesn't sound that good and will then replace it within 1-2 years with a new and improved model. I'm happy they no longer do.

7. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

They definitely should've waited longer before they announced this. Possibly when it was finished/actually had some stock ready... Yeesh

budda and Randy like this.
  8. budda

So to be clear, the QC has issues which most users are noticing, and the fm3 has a short list that requires digging just to locate?

Jeff, cwhitey2 and Randy like this.
  9. Randy

Randy Tony Lazuto?! Super Moderator

Have had my FM3 since October and I haven't had a single bug I've encountered, sans one in a beta I went looking for because I read about it in the release thread. To say the QC and FM3 bugs are at all comparable is reaching.

Also 4 out of 5 stars on that Sweetwater page is quite telling.

budda likes this.
  10. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I haven't had 1 issue in the 8 months I have owned my FM3. All of their 'final' software releases have been great.

Someday down the road I get a QC, but it will be several years before that happens. I'm currently satisfied with the FM3.

11. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

The old advice to avoid being an early adopter of a V1 product seems to be holding true. Yikes. Hope they can get this stuff sorted out.

12. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The FM3 is a few years old and the QC is barely in the hands of end users. Compare FM3 upon release vs QC upon release rather than the current situation. The point is most of the modelers have some issues when they are released that get fixed along the line.

Elric likes this.
  13. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

I guess what we could do is have the folks who think the product is worthwhile in its current state, those folks could buy it and/or keep it. And those folks who do not think it is worthwhile could continue not buying it or return/sell it as appropriate.

I basically just see a bunch of Fractal fans here ripping on it and trying to "rank" stuff but honestly LaXu gave a really fair breakdown. The various digital solutions have their strengths and weaknesses and the QC is an immature product that has some pretty big downsides but there is enough stuff that is right with it that I can see it being a keeper or even the preferred platform for some folks.

F.ex: If you are in the market for a capturing device, personally, I would not even consider anything else; this thing is the future in that regard (IMHO) and it immediately brings enough value to merit its price. I have captured a sh*t-ton of tube/analog gear with this and a couple of the pieces by themselves cost more than the QC does alone, so the thing pays for itself already in that sense. Couple the capture accuracy with the form factor and it is pretty amazing out of the gate.

If that doesn't do it for you, by all means; pass. The other stuff will likely get there but its not there yet.

Most of you guys talking sh*t clearly have an Axe to grind (so to speak). As an owner of all the major digital; stuff, LaXu's evaluation is completely on point. The value each platform presents is going to depend on your use case, preferences, etc. And sure, the QC is probably not the best option for most people picking up their first digital unit, unless you really love captures or are willing to stick it out for ease of use/form factor.

I think the Neural hardware has a bright future.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    mikah912, Kyle Jordan and laxu like this.
  14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Wait, what is the noise issue?

Im seriously close to buying one of these, particularly for its capture abilities. I actually thought I'd bought one a week or so ago but the seller said Just Kidding!

15. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

The FM3 is a little over a year old, and had A. The headphone jack issue that was remedied after the first wave, and B. A couple firmware related issues fixed in a couple months, but nothing that were show-stoppers. The issues with the QC are FAR bigger, on a much more expensive piece of gear.

I’m not a FAS fanboy either. I had one, and sold it awhile ago.

16. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

line 6 has added a ton of amps and effects plus it now sounds way better than when was released.

i'll def give them a few months/years to sort things out.

17. budda

This is exactly what Im trying to see.

What I am seeing is an unfinished, overhyped product not meeting expectations that was supposed to overtake the current options based on various specs.

"Not a mature product" - @Elric said that - so why would you not buy a more robust product from the other offerings?

You guys can call me a fanboy but im gonna recommend a stomp over an fm3 if the fm3 is the wrong choice :shrug:. I dont have a stake in FAS, they just do a lot of things right.

Edit: Im just waiting to see if the qc hype squad can admit that it falls very short of what was promised to be running at launch. So far, they can't.

18. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

They won't, since the capture function seems to work pretty well which makes it the default excuse (despite the 850$ upcharge).

19. budda

Doesn't the kemper floor exist?

20. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Yes, but it doesn't seem to get much love and the QC has both captures and modelling. Honestly I'd rather buy the QC than the Kemper floor if no strange issues are present. And I'm not even mentioning the user interface...