Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Unless you keep the scene display up... that is meant to be like a ‘performance’ view. That said, I asked Neural to put scene names on the actual edit screen, too. It’s dumb that you just have a letter there. I did not even realize you could name scenes at first.

2. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Yes, it is like the Fractal... some models/caps are crushing with any given power amp/cab. Others s*ck. ;) There is enough variety with the caps that you won’t get bored or be at a loss for something you are trying to accomplish...

Haven’t tried this but based on other presets I have done, I’d be surprised if that weren’t pretty easy to do. Maybe I am over-estimating it though, LOL.... I think the Reverbs needed to be optimized.

It can do Wah but it might as well not have it yet because they do not support auto-engage yet.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

No, you can just swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get the Gig View:

[​IMG]

This can be set to show presets, scenes or stomps and how they map to the switches, what is active and what their names are. For gigging this view is probably what you will be using all the time. Massively easier to see than Home view on FM3.

For editing you can see the selected scene in the block editor and as a small letter in the corner. I would prefer to see the scene name here because now I feel it's often not that easy to see which scene you are in so you make some mistakes editing.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Emperoff likes this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I quickly built the following rows:

1: In 1 -> Wah - TS808 - Flanger - Plexi - Cab -> Row 3
    2: Split from row 1 -> Flanger 2 - Dual Rec - Cab -> Back to Row 1
    3: Row 1 -> Chorus - VH4 - Cab -> Out 1/2
    4: Split from row 3 -> 3 x delay blocks -> Back to Row 3

This would be a bit crap preset but I could fit all the blocks in if I made the delays mono. Stereo delays were not possible in this setup.

However! If I replace the VH4 with the Diezel Herbert capture from the factory captures, then I can fit in 3 stereo delays because the amp block is the most demanding one while the capture block takes less DSP. I think NeuralDSP have said something about optimizing delay/reverb CPU usage in a future update.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  5. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I wouldn't expect any less from the most powerful floor processor in the market!

The thing looks neat, I give them that. :yesway:

The SG King likes this.
  6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

This is what we have come to: I was sitting on the toilet, browsing the NeuralDSP cloud app and picking which captures to download like "ooh, would love to try that amp!" There's quite a lot already but the app is at MVP level so search and curation is pretty much nonexistent.

Overall I think NeuralDSP was too optimistic with their launch and could have benefited from launching the QC next fall. Would have given them more time to get the app and features of the unit to match the marketing. Maybe they have had business decisions cause their current launch windows.

7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

That’s definitely a feather in its cap imo. The ability to run dual or even triple amp setups is pretty cool. The FM3 can only run one and there’s no way around that. The AxeFX III is more powerful overall but even it won’t run three. Not that many people need or want to run multiple amps but it’s still kinda cool.

I’m this specific case I was thinking about Adam Jones’ rig. Basically:

Micro boost > volume > delay1 > delay2 > chorus > flanger > EQ > wah > splitter to the front of the three amps (Superbass/Dual Rec/VH4 in triple mono)

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I just tried 3 amps yesterday because I had setup a preset like that, somewhat unintentionally. It was Soldano SLO + Fryette Sig:X (capture) + Fender Deluxe Reverb all playing together. It sounded ridiculously massive but honestly would not be something I would use for anything but a short passage. Too much of a good thing. Even 2 amps at the same time is hard to setup so that it actually sounds better than just one amp.

If you wanted you could even run 4 amps at the same time on the QC but would not have much room left for effects. The amp model seems to be the most CPU intensive block followed by the reverbs. Replacing amps with captures gives you a good amount more DSP headroom.

9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Set up the model the way you want it, capture it, boom, extra DSP.

10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I don't think you can do that without having a second QC for capturing. Would be a neat trick to be able to do self-captures tho!

11. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

[​IMG]

12. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all this @laxu. If you don't have a gear related YT channel, I think you should start one ;)

13. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I think the problem with that would be all the time it takes to edit videos and I would run out of gear to demo pretty quickly. Plus I don't consider myself that great as a player so coming up with new riffs to demo stuff would be its own challenge. So for me it's easier to stick to the written word.

HungryGuitarStudent likes this.
  14. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

People are saying on TGP that Anderton's has stock and had 97 unsold units as of last night. Might be worth a shot if you want one now.

sleewell likes this.
  15. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Any one using this, bypassing any cab sims and going to real cabs?

(It seems I have one of these on the way...)

16. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

So I just ordered one from sweetwater. How long do you guys think the wait will be?

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  17. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Works fine through a Fryette PS-100.

c7spheres likes this.
  18. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I’m using mine through a Fryette Classic XXX.

19. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Mine is pretty epic in 4CM with my SLO-30 and 212. I have not run it through any of my other power amps/speakers but can confidently say legit tones can be had in the power amp+cab config.

Some models/caps/etc will work better than others with various amps and cabs, just like any other modeler, as you might guess; but there is enough content there already that I can't imagine someone not being able to get something satisfying in most genres.

20. FearComplex

FearComplex Contributor

Has there been a price increase or a Thomann error? Now listed at €1850