Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

A lot of folks seem to actually like the external power adapter because they can use the same power supply for their pedals and the QC. Personally I don't care too much either way as long as it's not one of those stupid laptop bricks with cables coming out from both ends.

sleewell likes this.
  2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I like
    U like those. Because they don't block additional plugs on a power strip, if the brick can rest in the ground it's less likely to pull out of a wall plug, and if one of the cords are removable, you can relaxed it with a longer one so you don't also have to carry an additional extension cord.

The SG King likes this.
  3. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

4. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I was about to buy Archetype Gojira until I saw these videos. Paging @laxu and anyone else who has a Helix.

Randy likes this.
  5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The NeuralDSP plugins are all about their cab sims and especially how their presets are set up. Last year when NeuralDSP had a sale on their plugins I tried them all and then decided to see if I could replicate a sound I liked on one of them (maybe Nolly?) using the plugins I had already.

So I hooked up Helix Native -> ML Sound Lab MIKKO, used the closest equivalent Helix amp model with no cab sim. Cab sim was handled by MIKKO since it allows moving virtual mics around like NeuralDSP plugins. Then I picked the closest cab and mics there and started adjusting the mics to a similar position as the NeuralDSP plugin's preset. I got very similar results but it took me a good amount of trial and error.

The way I see it, you don't buy NeuralDSP plugins because they have superior modeling (they are good but just on par with others like Helix or ML Sound Lab), you buy them because they have very good presets and nice to use user interfaces with some nice sounding effects. They are a good choice for someone who just wants to get a nice sound without that much effort.

Most of the high gain ones are similar enough that I don't see a huge reason to own multiple of them, just pick a favorite. I could use the Soldano SLO plugin and get everything I need from that one alone. Nolly is probably the most versatile of them and the Cory Wong is unique because it is less about high gain stuff and more about tones meant for funky clean-ish sounds.

Helix Native by comparison has pretty crap presets and requires more effort from the end user but the tones are all there and the feature set is unmatched in a plugin. The stock cab sims are rubbish tho and IR space limited. But since it's a plugin you can just throw your favorite IR loader after it to solve the problem.

Same deal with Fractal FM3 vs Helix Floor. I can dial them to sound and feel very close when using the same cab sims.

6. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Yeah I agree with all of that, including Mikko. I have Nolly and Granophyre and I have a hard time justifying buying any more of them.

Up until recently I would have bought Gojira just for the whammy effect, but now that Helix has that as well, not really necessary. The rest of the modulation effects and dirt boxes are there too, albeit with some tweaking.

Like the guy in the video says: Helix/Helix Native gives you a long spool of rope with which to hang yourself. Neural stuff is just super easy to use, but less flexible. Helix Native on sale price is easily one of the best pieces of software for guitar anyone can have in their collection, but I'll still hang onto a couple Neural things because they're just quicker if I want to plug in an jam for a bit.

7. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Well I’m truly sorry to hear that, man. I’d be fucking pissed if I were you.

8. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

So who else has received one, is it meeting the hype?

9. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

10. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Not many it seems.

#444 here, it's a nice unit, not superior to the fractal stuff. But still great and the profiling is good fun. I am currently using it more tha my FM3 although that may be because its plugged into my mac.

My FM3 doesnt even do anything when I plug it in to a usb port, so I cant compare cygnus or the latest firmware. It might connect once in 15 attempts... sounds great though! But yea, neither is flawless, but at least I can update one of them!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  11. budda

@SamSam I'd open a support ticket regarding the connectivity.

12. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

I'm on my second unit already, it worked better with my 2012 imac compared to my new mac mini. None of their suggestions work, hence I'm on my second unit.

13. budda

Im not gonna tell you how to resolve it :lol:

cwhitey2 likes this.
  14. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Oddly enough it works perfectly with my mates macbook :lol:

15. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan SS.org Regular

As this thing can load multiple captures check this comparison showing the sound of capturing the pedal separate vs baked into the amp capture.

Which do you prefer the sound of?

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I found the capture sounded better

Dead-Pan likes this.
  17. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

General consensus from most including myself is that it doesn't deliver what's promised modelling wise - it's good but it desperately needs 6-12 months of updates before it reaches its true potential IMHO.

18. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Then why buy it now?

RevDrucifer and budda like this.
  19. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

how else would he have found out?

props in my book for basing your opinion on personal first hand experience instead of comments from forums and youtube vids.

20. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

I wasn't directing my reply to him directly but for all those that made an order and are waiting. A lot of the promises seems to be just promises and the unit is not delivering it, yet I still almost daily (on FB) see people saying they just placed an order on it. Doesn't make sense to me but its not my money so I can only seat back and kinda laugh :)

The SG King, RevDrucifer and sleewell like this.