Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

This is not directed at you of course, but the person quoted somehow implies that it is unusual or strange that a company like Neural has (or could have) shareholders.

The romantic view that many people have of the instrument business is probably quite clouded in some cases.
    Building up a manufacturing company with everything that goes with it (R&D, tools, employees, materials, etc.) is not exactly cheap.
    Nor is the powerful marketing that runs parallel to this free of charge (cough, Blackstar, cough).

Furthermore, I do not want to know what additional influence the AKM fire had or still has on the development and production.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Very reasonable expectation. I'd expect by the end of 2021 they would have at least the desktop editor out and most of the feature gaps plugged and usability quirks ironed out. We will see if that is too optimistic.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  3. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

I was a hoarder. But then I realized I was running out of space and stuffing hardcases behind my desk. Once I move into my next home (looking like Q1 2023) I will have more space to resume the hoarding process :lol:

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I wonder if a lot of gear companies time their announcements with shareholder meetings though (legitimately).

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

At least for the limited releases, I think Boss times their product announcements around when I'm asleep.

6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Pretty much all companies time them so that the results can be shown off in fiscal quarter meetings etc. They either show profit or growth to investors. E.g. guitar company A shows off their new product at NAMM, various stores order new product and then in a shareholder meeting they show "we have this many orders for this amount of profit rolling in during Q2".

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Wait, you mean NDSP isn't just Doug in his parents' basement hewning QCs out of raw materials?

They're like a company? With financers and structure and accountability and shit? Well, that's not metal.

:lol:

cwhitey2, SonicBlur, Millul and 10 others like this.
  8. budda

It's the $ injection to actually deliver the product they already took money for, but yeah :lol:

The SG King likes this.
  9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Who wouldn't want more money?

Nothing about the article you posted screen shots of, but not the actual article for some reason, implied that they needed investment in order to deliver vs. not.

https://www.capman.com/2020/08/capman-growth-new-fund-neural-dsp/

StevenC, budda and laxu like this.
  10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

You mean they took what, 200 euros from users as preorder deposit? Like I said earlier, that's not going to cover the manufacturing of these things. It might buy you the case and switches. They will need investment money or loans to pay their vendors and then recoup that when they bill the remainder from preorder buyers.

As I suspected the "bailed" thing was just bullshit and it was really just a regular investment round.

11. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

A lot of the big boys in this space use better converters than AKM. The fire probably impacted the more consumer oriented stuff, more so than the pro or prosumer stuff.

12. budda

For the record, I didnt do any of the digging :lol:

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Uhh, it was 10pm and all my 14 day free trials had run out.

steinmetzify likes this.
  14. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I have no doubt in my mind that just about ANY modeling unit out in the last decade or so is capable of great direct tones, so I don’t need to find “my sound” to decide if I want to use something. I’m more interested in how it interfaces, how quickly I can navigate it to make it do what I want, and how well it integrates into my live setups. Tone-hunting is an excellent endless quest, so it’s not what I’ll make a decision on. The Kemper sounds amazing, but I hate everything else about it pretty much and it took me 15 minutes to figure that out, lol.

Emperoff, Randy and Flappydoodle like this.
  15. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

So you will have to wait until they release the next "suite" to play guitar again, then.

(Just a couple of weeks, probably :lol:)

The SG King, Deadpool_25 and StevenC like this.
  16. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Totally agree. And I assume there is a reasonably sized demographic of people like me. Guitar is a hobby and I like playing with toys related to my hobby. If the QC is fun to use, and you can make different sounds without it being a frustrating experience, then that’s a good enough reason to buy one. Realistically I don’t *need* any more sounds than I can already get with plugins. But the experience is part of it too.

17. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Batch 2 shipping notices are being sent out now. Est arrival on 29/03 for mine (Fingers crossed).

Randy likes this.
  18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

This is how I see it as well. I already have good plugins to play with as well as a Helix Floor but that is mostly an fx box for my amps. I'd like a "desktop" unit so I am not on the computer as much as I am already but putting my Helix on the desk means ripping out a lot of cables and taking the whole damn desk. So QC fits the bill as a compact unit.

I've been using the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition as my desktop unit but it still needs to be hooked up to a computer for cab sims and fx.

19. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Got my tracking number. ETA Friday.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  20. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

cleared customs!