Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Just saw qc is $2100cad plus tax.

Yikes.

Mathemagician and Spinedriver like this.
  2. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

@Randy Good points, I totally agree. I deal with 2 and 3 factor authentification every day at work and it’s a pain in the ass.

My « no hassle » comment was only concerning the use of iLok with Neural plugins, not a general claim on all anti-piracy measures for all software/hardware.

You can get an FM3 for about half and an AxeFx3 for about 500$ more. Weird price.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Randy and Masoo2 like this.
  3. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbow™ Super Moderator

Screenshot_20210219-001623.png

Emperoff likes this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

US folks don't pay VAT whereas that 1600 euros is with VAT baked in. Without VAT for my country it would be ~1215 euros or ~$1468.

In the same vein the G66 price for the FM3 includes VAT, without VAT it is ~1064 euros or $1285. Dealers need to make profit as well and Fractal probably does not allow me to order it directly from them to Finland.

In the EU there is less price difference between the QC and FM3 compared to the US.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  5. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I can't imagine Ownhammer uploading IR packs on QC cloud when you can just buy them from their website.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

If users can buy them directly from the QC cloud then yes they should, even if NDSP takes a cut (which is still completely unknown). The convenience of one button purchase and install is significant and makes it more likely for people to just buy things and try when there are as few hoops as possible to jump through. It's just another way to sell stuff and there is no benefit to Ownhammer etc for NOT offering the option.

Mathemagician and Deadpool_25 like this.
  7. budda

All the axe fx 3's I've seen listed have been around $3k. I don't know if they've sold for that. But yeah.

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I agree with this as well. It would be a good perk for existing owners but I also understand business things may get in the wya. Maybe they can at least offer a discount similar to how Line6 discounts the Helix Native software for hardware owners?

I've tried nearly all of the NDSP plugins and they are mostly about their preset setups rather than the amps and fx. For example pretty much everything in the Nolly plugin you can do already with the shipping features of the QC.

On TGP NDSP said that a Dumble model is also coming to the QC when they manage to get more time to verify against the real amp, which makes the Cory Wong plugin less enticing. None of the others do anything so particularly impressive that you could not replicate the tones with existing amp, fx models and captures.

Last year when the NDSP plugins were on sale I tried to see if I could replicate my favorite tone in I think some Nolly preset using Helix Native and ML Sound Labs MIKKO cab sim. I could get very close just by choosing a similar cab in MIKKO and setting its mic positions and models to similar settings. But the difference is that on the NDSP someone else had done the work for me so it gets you started real quick once you find a preset that clicks with your preferences.

Before the plugins are available on QC or if you don't want to pay for them, you will just have to do the work yourself to get similar tones.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

Having worked in distribuition in pretty much the same sector I can assure you that this is absolutely not the case!

Ataraxia2320, Emperoff and narad like this.
  10. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Not sure how waiting a year to see how it goes is being "sold" :lol: I've got no dog in the fight as I already bought an FM3, but watching this whole thing is a great comedy.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

c7spheres, Emperoff, cwhitey2 and 2 others like this.
  12. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

You learn something new every day.

Emperoff likes this.
  13. Jammer

Jammer SS.org Regular

Actually most of the people selling AF3’s are either high or hoping someone will carelessly overpay for the unreasonable prices they are asking. I see the original AF3 model, not the AF3 MKII model used listed for more than the price of a brand new MKII model or at least maybe only $100 less than the brand new price which is ridiculous.

budda likes this.
  14. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It's just all a part of living in Canada and our weak ass dollar, not to mention whatever import taxes & whatnot that apply. Nothing is more depressing than seeing a ton of new gear reviews/demos of things and them saying 'I can't believe it's only $____ !!!'. People were freaking out that the Pod GO is only $449 ! Add $200 plus 15% sales tax and it's not such a great deal anymore. Not only that but a lot of those high end units (FM3, AXE II, etc...) can barely be found new around here let alone a used one.

15. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

On Fractal’s site the Axe3 MKII is currently at 2100 USD = ~2650 CAD.

But yeah, Neural’s choice of price bracket for the QC makes it compete with floor and non-floor units, which doesn’t seem like a sound strategy. But what do I know...

RevDrucifer and Emperoff like this.
  16. budda

I dunno if our dollar is any better, but I think its around $2800cad before taxes and shipping and 3.5% to the credit card people. I think it was going to be around $3500 shipped to my door for a brand new one. Had it been $3200 i wouldnt have hesitated :lol:.

It sucks that I have to pay tax on it online but if I went to NY and ordered it, just shipping :lol:.

17. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Pretty much all online transactions in the US have tax attached to them now. It's a huge pain in the ass for online sellers because you have to charge the state tax where it is going to, then report those taxes to each state.

budda and c7spheres like this.
  18. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbow™ Super Moderator

I assume that is if you're selling direct as opposed to ebay and reverb? Because through those places, I see the seller getting charged tax but it never passes through me.

19. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Yeah, eBay handles it for everyone if they're individual sellers or smaller stores. If you're the platform, the seller is responsible.

Randy likes this.
  20. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

If you have iLok installed and a stable internet connection, sure... You probably have a mostly ok experience.

As one example, around the time Steinberg switched from the USB lock to iLok, I spent over 3 hours trying to get the Cubase to run because it just crashed, with no useful error message, without iLok installed. Nowhere on their webpage at the time was a link to the iLok installer. The insaller didn't check if dependencies were installed. I had to wait on hold and get someone on the phone to help me debug it. I guess they never tried to install Cubase on a fresh computer without iLok installed to realize it was a terrible user experience.

For comparison, I installed Studio One with zero issues. I literally switched that weekend and never looked back.

Anyone around when Steam first launched with Half Life 2 may also remember not being able to play the game for several days due to Steam authentication issues. More ridiculously, you couldn't play the game if you had purchased a physical copy from the store due to Steam issues.

cwhitey2, Flappydoodle and Emperoff like this.