Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

From the article it sounds like a Kemper 2. Snooze you lose I guess.

StevenC likes this.
  2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

So far so good :agreed: Seems like Quad Cortex name refers to four possible signal paths. Definetly Kemper Stage or AX8 money I guess if we look at the price.

Might be? If you play live or just want to have an intuitive ground for signal path and try different things with that. What if they have bunch of amp models in it along with profiling technology, that would be awesome.

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Sounds like a cool product. Not buying a “full” floor modeler without an expression pedal, but a bunch of people are gonna be stoked.

4. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Talking in general, I'd say the majority don't need a bunch of different tones. Even if you play live, good dry clean crunch lead covers the most of it. I've noticed to have to an Ola syndrom, with all the amps and plugins I tend to dial the same tone. Still the tweaking never ends..

5. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Touch screen and rotary footswitches. It reads like it’s basically a profiler akin to Kemper. I’m guessing those XLR connections are for mics to do its profiling thing.

Interesting that there’s no mention of it running their plugins. With that much processing power, I still think it’s possible you’ll be able to load amps and effects from those but we’ll see.

Honestly that article has dampened my enthusiasm but I’m still waiting for their official release to see what other details are forthcoming.

As for price my guess is $1500-1600

6. Deadpool_25

It’s cool in a way to have one integrated, but the lack of one means less potential for breaking and the ability to choose the expression pedal you like most. Double edged sword I guess.

budda and Wolfhorsky like this.
  7. Metropolis

I need a hi-gain rhythm and lead tones plus a clean tone with reverb/delay. About three is minimum for me and I would maybe use more for song specific situations.

8. GunpointMetal

I’m not interested in “profiling”, so to me this just a floor modeler with missing features. If it’s in that $1500-$2k range, it’s not for me if I gotta add more stuff to it to use it live. Like I said though, I’m sure lots of people will like it. I’d assume it’s gonna have it’s own modeling based on their plugins.

Spinedriver and mikah912 like this.
  9. Deadpool_25

I’m with you on the profiling thing. I’ve never been really interested in that. For me it’s mostly because, as I understand it, a profile is a “model” of the amp at one setting then estimating the the way it reacts to control changes. Modeling is modeling the whole thing, controls and all. That and the Kemper is ugly as fuck. Never felt the need to tone match on the Axe FX since it has more than enough amps as it is.

10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I don't think any tone-matched tones have ever worked for me. From using Ozone, EZMix, Kemper, Axe-Fx 2 and several amp sim plug-ins that were made using tone matching I rarely ever found something that worked and then they just fell apart once EQ'd. The biggest problem with the Kemper was the gain knob being so destructive. If they've added in a whole suite of effect and the tone-matches overlayed on their own amp sims(depending on gain structure) then this could be a winner.

Flappydoodle and GunpointMetal like this.
  11. GunpointMetal

Everyone raves on the Kemper (and it is fugly), but when I've test driven one, I hate that I can't just EQ it like an amp. The EQ is like a channel strip on a mixer, and if you adjust more than a little bit, it sound bad. I don't wanna dig through 1000 profiles to find one that is 99% there for EQ when I in Helix/AFX I can just grab the model that has the gain structure I want and turn some knobs to get the tone. Definitely curious to see whats all involved and how much it's gonna cost when the official press release comes.

TheShreddinHand and Lorcan Ward like this.
  12. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

The AI marketing hype for non-technical people is real :lol:

Backsnack, benvigil, gunch and 4 others like this.
  13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I'll step back a little bit on my disdain since at that point in time the profiling aspect hadn't been announced, but still, the company slogan is "algorithmically perfect" and their teaser slogan was "biomimetic" -- I expect to be cringing a lot over the next day of coverage. Appreciate the guys and the products, hate the marketing.

StevenC, technomancer and MASS DEFECT like this.
  14. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

One issue. If the thing breaks, you have to send it back to Finland?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  15. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

One of many, many big questions that need to be answered. First-gen products with a lot of advanced, not-used-before tech on them = lots of warranty service.

16. Metropolis

How effortless that would be for once :p I hope they have worked different distributions to do warranty service.

MASS DEFECT likes this.
  17. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I dunno how Darkglass stuff is serviced, but it this may use a similar network. I didn't know until now that Neural was a Doug Castro thing.

I'm getting more and more interested in a Kemper, so this is pretty interesting to me. I have a few amps now that I'd like profiled just so that I can easily transport things and don't always have to lug out and fire up expensive and pretty old tube amps. So the EQ implementation of the Kemper is no big deal: I would have already profiled the amp the way I want it.

18. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

In the EU we deal with G66 for buying Fractal Products. They take care of warranty so I'm sure there will be somewhere in the states doing the same.

MASS DEFECT likes this.
  19. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

This kinda remind me of the whole Bias-fx / jamup thing. Start with a purely digital product, make a ton of high profile marketing with it, then down the line when you are a better established company put out a hardware version. What actually happened with the Bias-fx head unit? There where a lot of demos some years ago, but then I have not heard about that or the company since. Was it that bad that the company went under? I have never ever seen anyone use it in real life or in demos, where they were not paid to play the thing.

Seems Neural-DSP is at the top of the hypetrain foodchain, so they better make as much many while the hype is there.

The VST demos I have heard sound cool and all, but no way I am getting into products like these, that for certain are going to be hopelessly outdated in 5 years. I guess hardware have a bit longer lifespan than plugins, but not by much, unless they actually manage to pull a Kemper and use the same hardware for 10 years?

Spinedriver likes this.
  20. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I was hoping you could load the Archetypes in it. But no? I hope the rotary footswitches work as well as the AX8's dedicated amp controls. Many hated those things but for me, it was one of the biggest selling points of that product. I'm not stoked with profilers. Seems like there's great(er) option paralysis and once you profiled them, you can't go past certain settings and knob positions and risk sounding totally off.

Buuut, it's still interesting.