Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

tbf that was what they've said since they announced the qc. They were never going to cannibalize their plugin sales.

2. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

o.k. was not aware
    have no qc on order and doesn't look like I will

3. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Agreed and that never bothered me. If you own a plugin, the QC becomes a way to use it without a laptop.

if you don’t own a plugin, then use the amp models or captures.

Edit: 4CM is in the manual.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Mathemagician likes this.
  4. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbow™ Super Moderator

Cyberpunk confirmed

Deadpool_25 and budda like this.
  5. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

If you buy a Helix, you don't get Helix Native for free so why should they give their plugins for free?

But now that I mention, considering Helix Native is 1/4 the price for Helix owners Neural should really offer them at a much lower price for QC owners.

6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

tbf back in the day the POD X3/XT gave you a free corresponding POD Farm license when using the modeler as a hardware key (Platinum for X3, Standard for XT)

Randy likes this.
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I agree offering NDSP plugins at a discounted price for QC owners would be a great thing. I got my Helix Native at the reduced price + Line6's 30% off deal so it was quite cheap.

8. Randy

I don't think that's the issue, aren't we discussing whether or not the QC imports plugins you've already purchased on day one? How does the equate to asking for them to give something for free? It's a feature they advertised.

9. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

They advertised free updates and new amp models, not giving for free their already released plugins. They never advertised that.

10. Randy

No, they advertised that if you bought their plugins that you could import them to the QC, that's what we've been discussing. Nobody said anything about free plugins.

11. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

I asked NeuralDSP directly, and they told me that any of the Neural DSP plugins that i purchase(d) will be available to dwnld onto the Quad Cortex. I dunno if, say, i have a model of the Omega amp sim, if i'll have that available as a full model, or simply a capture of specific settings...but, i reckon we'll all find out soon enough when they begin shipping to the masses. I'm still excited, and i won't judge the system 'til i get one in my hands and use it for a bit.

12. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Given they just said it won't be available at launch it will be sometime after it ships in an update before you find out.

13. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

The release of the manual was nice, considerate. The capture feature looks straight-forward, it's gonna be dope!

14. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Just glancing through the manual as it applies to my own desired use case (into a real amp FX loop) I don’t see anything that makes me think the QC will be as usable as my FM3. At least in theory.

The QC manual (pg 51) shows running the QC straight into the input of a combo amp. In that section it specifically mentions turning off the cab block. What? So the suggested setup there is to run the amp model into the front of a real amp? I’m not saying it wouldn’t work but...ehhhh

The 4CM section mentions disabling the amp model. I kinda get why, but one of the cool things about 4CM with amp modelers is the ability to use either your real amp’s preamp, or the modeler’s. That should certainly be doable here even though it doesn’t seem to be discussed.

The biggest thing though is, as I suspected, there’s no mention of turning off or adjusting power amp modeling separately at all. Both my Invective and BE-100D have super transparent loops so it might not even have been an issue. IDK.

There are two things I really like about the QC that are lacking in the FM3: a great UI and the ability to run more than one amp model at a time. Wait, make that three things. I also like that it has more footswitches.

Ataraxia2320 and FTB like this.
  15. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I'm in the same boat as you. My primary intent is to use the QC into a Fryette power amp into 2 guitar cabs.

While the manual says this is a supported configuration, it also warns of potentially unwanted power amp coloration of the sound. I think it is fair to say that there is no way of turning off the power amp modeling in the launch feature set. Hopefully, enough people ask for it in an update.

The manual also talks about how Neural Capture is the "flagship feature", which can be interpreted as, "this is how we think it performs the best". It makes sense then that a few amp models dropped off the launch feature list and were replaced by captures.

That made me wonder about the regular Neural plugins. Are those models or are they captures? I don't own any, but I'm getting the feeling they are captures and they will have the same power amp disabling problem if run on the QC.

How does Kemper deal with that? If I run a Kemper profile through a tube power amp does it produce unexpected results?

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Yeah not being able to turn off poweramp modeling is an unfortunate omission and I hope they add that in as a firmware update. I would also like to see controls for adjusting sag like on the Helix as I find that useful for fine tuning the response. But realistically, running the full amp model into a clean poweramp sounds and feels perfectly fine so it's not some dealbreaker issue.

I am kind of in the same boat as you, except I use a Helix Floor which apart from the touchscreen UI and compact size is very much the same thing. I am not really looking to replace the Helix with the QC at this point.

Emperoff likes this.
  17. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The amp models were dropped most likely because they could not get them to work as expected for launch. Replacing them with captures is a fast way to give users those amps to play with. The difference with NDSP amp sims vs captures will be their adjustability and accuracy while doing so. While the capture block offers gain, volume, EQ like the amp sims, their behavior will deviate from how the real amp behaves when you adjust those, just like the Kemper. At the moment there is no way to capture how each knob on an amp behaves as you will get into thousands of variations to capture even with a simple amp. So I would expect that NDSP plugins are amp sims.

There are some interviews of Line6's amp modeling process on Sweetwater's channel and they tell it can take anywhere from a month to several months to properly measure and model an amp, increasingly so depending on the complexity of the amp or how interactive each of its components are which on the other hand can be more of an issue on very simple amps.

MetalDaze and Flappydoodle like this.
  18. Drunkbag

Drunkbag SS.org Regular

damn

Frostbite likes this.
  19. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

Today the media embargo ends so we should FINALLY see some interesting content.

20. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Yup, sounds fucking great

bmth4111 likes this.