Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Exactly. The number one thing I think people want from NeuralDSP at this point is decoupling their stuff from computers and being able to use it live (A close number two would be having them all in a single suite). That is the whole reason why people are buzzing about these last two teasers. If the first teaser image was a silhouette of a control surface with sone sliders, there wouldn't be half the excitement.

Anyway.....we'll find out in the next 6 days.

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I just don't see the need for a guitar dedicated interface. It's either going to be minimal inputs and super high-quality hardware, which limits it's use to only recording one or two sources at a time, or it's going to compromise on the hardware to compete with multi-input interfaces and incorporate DSP. They've already got excellent plugins that people are using to great effect through the hardware they already have, so it seems redundant to me. A hardware AIO unit with a variety of I/O options and the modeling/FX loaded into it would be a great product and put the software everyone has been raving about in a more live-friendly packaging, decoupled from a computer, and it's easy enough to add a USB port for recording anyways. If it can fill those needs and come in priced below or at the Helix LT/FM3 (if that product ever actually hits the street) it would be good and do well. After the whole Amplifi thing with Line 6 (remember the guitar amp reinvented, or whatever ridiculous marketing line they had for that), this kind of marketing always makes me leery.

Thaeon and mikah912 like this.
  3. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

That amp, while cool, was not the game changer they said it was. Okay for some kids to get together and play some small shows, or maybe for a band that plays small clubs/restaurants where low volume and versatility are paramount. Not for a rock/metal band. The Helix was Line 6 last really solid pro product. A good enough one to make more expensive modeling companies sweat I think. Pete Thorn raving about a product generally means sales.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  4. GunpointMetal

I mean, the Firehawk 1500 amp was pretty cool, the PowerCabs are pretty cool even if they're not powerful enough for my uses, but that whole marketing campaign was a huge disappointment. Even one of the product designers lamented it on another forum recently. Everyone was expecting Vetta III or like a Helix Valve or something, and we got bluetooth speakers with 10 year old modeling, lol. I'm pretty much used to nobody thinking the products I want to see are viable, though, so I have low expectations of this being something of interest to me, personally. Seems like all 8 people that want a guitar-centric interface are in this thread and ready for it, though.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  5. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Keep the first pic they posted in mind though (I almost forgot about it after the 2nd pic lol). It looks a lot like a Helix-style interface which implies a significant degree of modeling capability. It'll likely incorporate an interface as well, but so do the Axe FX and Helix. I suspect that calling it merely an interface is probably way underselling it.

6. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

The angle of that image also appears to indicate shooting downward at a hardware screen with a new Helix-y UI, not a computer monitor displaying a VST suite.

But the second image definitely evoked a UAD Apollo-esque box, so who the hell knows?

alekosh likes this.
  7. GunpointMetal

I hope so, but I've seen guitar FX/accessory companies do some wacky shit. Remember that abortion of a pedalboard digitech made you had to load an iPad in, or basically the entire Amplifi line, or any of the "Theta Pro DSP" floorboards ISP keeps putting out, or the interface on the Amplifire stuff? Sometimes engineers forget to check the market or with designers and we get really mediocre products that the company is incredibly stoked to have, lol.

mikah912 likes this.
  8. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

If those air vents are in the top part of the chassis, who knows. But it really looks like it's laying down. My another guess is a powered modeler, which is made in collaboration with Darkglass Electronics.

9. GunpointMetal

powered modeler would be dope as long as it has enough juice to run a FRFR speaker at band volume!

10. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

It went over poorly because they billed it as the next big thing. Which it was not.

Based on the actual market, I'd say that the smartest choice is a modelling unit. Period. Guitar players getting great tones in the box is great. We drop a hundred bills and have access to that stuff in our DAW. But now that I have that tone on what I recorded, what about live? They have some of the best models in the industry right now and the stage is a literal impediment to their use.

11. Deadpool_25

12. Gnarcade

Gnarcade SS.org Regular

I think you nailed all of them, the Green one is the only one I'm not sure about. Comp makes sense, but maybe its a Pitch/Synth block like the helix has?

13. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Imagine hardware hx-like processor from DSP with Plini and Nolly in stereo paralel :wag:

14. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

15. GunpointMetal

Well those sure look like foot switches to me!

zenonshandro, cardinal, Shask and 3 others like this.
  16. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

True, but it could be a plugin recreation of a pedal. Not exactly sure what pedal lols like that and had the big knob on top ...

17. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

That would be interesting if true because they’ve never done any pitch/synth effects with their plugins.

18. GunpointMetal

Judging from the captions, its a modeled Jellyfish or something, lol. Biomimetic?

19. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Looks like a pedal modeller. GREAT. GAS GAS GAS :djent::mf666::noodles:

Thaeon, lumena and Deadpool_25 like this.
  20. Deadpool_25

A pedal I can load their plugins into??

GAS!!!!!!!

Thaeon likes this.