Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I wonder how much of it is people being used to hearing a cab aimed at their legs, then when they try a modeller through a source at head level (sitting at a desk for ex) they dont like what they hear.

In short, who is actually eq'ing their cabs with their head at the speaker? Who here has their real amp dialled in to sound good when mic'd up?

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

From personal experience playing shows for the last ~20 years....I'd say about 25% of guitarists actually know that their instrument sounds like anywhere besides where they like to stand on stage. I've literally seen guitar players move their boards/mic stands to different parts of the stage until their guitar sounds good to them instead of just, turning down two notches, or dialing back the treble a little bit. Especially in metal. So many guys lament over gear and their ToAnZ and then they go play live and in the speaker's beam, through FOH, they sound like a can of bees with diarrhea.
    Another one that makes me laugh is when a guy says "It sounds good in a band mix" from his corner of the rehearsal studio, or his side of the stage. Sorry guy, from where you're standing, you have literally no idea what the "band mix" is.

3. budda

Almost everyone can probably drop their treble at least 1 notch and it would be ok (on non-active eq).

Guys here who tried digital amps and didnt like them, next time you're at gig level put your head in line with your cab and please report back.

4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Having a 4x12 gets you both. Half aimed at your legs and half beaming to your head. Then at some point you learn how to mic a little outside the cone if you are in a smallish hall to reduce some of those grating highs. Or to not mic at all if everyone is on equal ground moshing with the band in a small room, something you cant really do with FRFR setups, since that "polished" sound coming from 500w clean speakers won't be as grinding as a real cab without a mic doing what it was built to do.

But then, you have 4x12 sized FRFR speakers that aim to do just that. Oh man.

zenonshandro likes this.
  5. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

That’s why we need to bring back full stacks. Screw those weeny 1x12 and 2x12’s :lol:

Wolfhorsky and GunpointMetal like this.
  6. GunpointMetal

Please no, lol. Most bands are already too loud to sound good in the venues they play.

7. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

"Too loud to sound good"? I've heard bands with cranked full-stacks in tiny dive bars, and it sounded glorious.

8. GunpointMetal

me too, but they’re few and far between. Most of them equate volume to tone and it’s garbage.

9. budda

What about a twin and a halfstack? A/B for clean and dirty is where it's at! Unless you have to carry it, which I did.

I wonder what we fell under :lol:

Dineley and GunpointMetal like this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'd love to get a Peavey Stereo Chorus for dedicated cleans. I may have to do that one day. :lol:

11. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

The more cabs, the better. No exceptions.

axxessdenied and GunpointMetal like this.
  12. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

At every practice and at every gig.

13. GunpointMetal

Have as many cabs as you want, if I can’t hear the snare over the guitar/bass rigs, I’m gonna assume the whole band is deaf and it’s gonna sound like shit. I mean do what makes you happy, but don’t be mad when everyone goes out to smoke during your set because it’s painful to be in the room, lol.

14. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Whose fault is that though? I'd blame the third rate soundman, unless there is no soundman. I've sounded like crap at more than one gig (battle of the bands more often than not) cause some soundman got paid off to make one band look good and other bands look bad. Never fails to impress the judges too (also bought off).

In these times, people will say its sour grapes. Negative nancy, Debby downer, etc etc. Because Biever smells like gold and metal smells like shit. Make of that what you will.

Oh shit, I'm ranting again.

15. GunpointMetal

Sound guy has nothing to with someone running stage volume to the point of drowning out the percussion. I have no idea what the rest of that has to with the off-topic discussion, lol. Maybe you should have paid off the sound guy first!

16. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

Just turn down to even out the extra cab space. It isn't rocket science. Even at the same volume, air getting pushed over a larger area is always good. And it looks fuckin' sweet.

17. budda

One person so far!

No ones mentioned when the snare is really fucking loud, and the band matches it :D.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  18. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Yeah, no mics on the kit means your PA has no drums in it. :bsflag:
    https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-should-we-mic-drums-when-playing-live?amp

An unmiced kit isn't going to keep up with a 100-watt amp and 900-watt bass in a live environment. I know everybody wants to death about whether a 25-watt amp will keep up with a drummer, but a 100-watt amp will drown out a drummer, especially in a cavernous environment like a bar where everyone will hear just treble and the cymbals unless there's a soundman who mixes everything
    :argue:

Loud isn't bad. The soundman has to get things into a mix. Unfortunately, soundman are so bad now, everybody wants something like the QC that even they can't fuck up.

(except they will even fuck that up in a battle of the bands. First thing they do is kill the kick. If that isn't enough, they keep fiddling with various levels and shit during the performance)

19. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Ahh, the QC. It would be nice to start talking about it again :lol:

20. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

This should help:

cwhitey2 likes this.