Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea, part of why the discussion on this box is way more heated over at TGP is because there's ways more Kemper fanatics over there, where they've broken in more with older demographics. Not everyone wants to menu dive for forever.

2. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

That's actually one of the things I hated about my Kemper. You had to menu dive and press a button literally 100s of times to get through various settings/pages/parameters/etc. For the most part, I think that interface is atrocious.

Vyn likes this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If I learned anything from using the AX8 and my newly-recieved AMT CP100... A great, easy-to-use interface is a fucking blessing. :lol:

Avedas, Masoo2, USMarine75 and 5 others like this.
  4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

The Kemper is a bastard to use, it's not intuitive at all. Don't get me wrong, the unit produces amazing tones however fuck me it doesn't make sense sometimes.

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Finally broke down and looked at it.
    - It looks cool, especially for portability.
    - The sounds are ok so far but nothing that made me say wow yet. I'm sure there's most likely some big wow sounds in there.
    - I like I didn't get a harsh, hollow or annoying type of IR feeling from it.
    - The biggest turnoff's for me are not only the touchscreen, but especially the number one turnoff for me is the enocoder button's. I like the idea of those things, but I don't trust those no matter how well they are supposedly made. I don't trust them on mixing consoles, let alone on something to be stepped on. I don't care how well they're made, that type stuff always breaks even when being careful and replacing those special compenents is always an adventure. It seems like it's going to be a nightmare after they start breaking. I probably won't consider it no matter how good it sounds just because of those.
    - I'm glad there's more competition and sure the future will bring cheaper, better units. So this is a good start.

6. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It's funny you say that because I felt the exact same way about the ART SGX2000 that I bought back in '98. lol
    I guess some things never change...

USMarine75 likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

yup easily the worst interface out of any of the current digital offerings.

I do kind of miss my kemper, if only because now I have the amp collection to warrant profiling :lol:

8. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

Aesthetically and the user interface look very cool.
    After hearing it I put the brakes on my excitement.
    Not inspiring at all. The first bit of sound that escapes a video premiering a new modeler needs to be on point and killer. First impressions are kind of a big deal. I was listening through a pair of decent monitors and the top end was not happening on the lead sound. The breakup sound just did not grab me. The cleans were respectable though.
    I'm holding out for further developments.

9. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Friedman HBE model might not be everyone's first choice for modern metal tones... it has lots of low end and gain structure is very "ripply", personally I don't like how it saturates in rhythm playing, it might fit to leads much better because it's kind of mushy. Peavey, Fortin, Engl and Mesa is what I would like to hear.

Interesting, there's a bright know in the amp section. I watched more closely how he dials it in, too little presence for my liking and that's partly why it sounds like that. And I wouldn't dial in gain from overdrive to my rhythm tone at all, just keep it at zero. Quite a lot of gain from amp too (obviously I don't know how this particular Friedman model reacts), overall not hundred percent my kind of tone.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I watched some of the Q&A on YouTube. They are much further behind than I had assumed. Those two units seem to be the only units in the world. The preorders was clearly a way to kickstart the manufacturing.

Only a handful of amp model prototypes exist so far. The list of 50+ hasn’t been done yet.

And even on the delivery date question, Doug was honest that it was a target with contingency built in, but there’s still a possibility of delays.

Overall, I think the idea is great. Combining profiling and modelling is a good idea. Having a powerful audio interface which can also take a simultaneous DI is good. Being able to plug in 4 instruments is awesome. But if the product really is going to be supported in the long term, I can’t see any logic in placing a deposit and rushing. I’ll just wait for devices to be available and for user reviews.

Basically, it has great potential. But it’s really just an idea at this stage.

Ordacleaphobia and Rev2010 like this.
  11. benvigil

benvigil SS.org Regular

If history repeats itself, we just have to look to the Virus and read the writing on the wall.

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

After reading through the gear page thread this is definitely more of a kickstarter idea that they have ambitions to make. Hopefully everything goes well and they can make the estimate date of shipping to the customers. If I’ve learned anything from the gaming kickstarters it’s best to keep goals manageable and don’t overpromise.

Tone match based plugins are doing very well today. Toontrack have EzMix and Joey Sturgis Tones use it for the Misha and Jason Richardson plugin. A bunch of other guys use tone matching for their plugins rather than coding a full modelled amp like neural and Fractal.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I have the NDSP stuff, Helix Native, JST and Toontrack plugins. I find myself gravitating towards NSDP for almost everything these days because they are just so damned easy to use. JST Misha/Richardson sound great for nailing their respective tones however they fall down outside of that I find. And I think I've spent more time trying to capture a tone than actually playing through said tone with Toontrack.

That's all anecdotal. Do find NDSP plugins a whole lot easier to use though to the point my live rig at the moment is a 13inch Mac Air going into a 2i2 running into an EHX 44 Magnum into a 4x12 on stage.

14. ThisBrokenMachine

ThisBrokenMachine Architectural Metal

definitely not impressed by the demo, even if in early stage

Masoo2 likes this.
  15. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I think Fractal can breath a little bit after that demo lol!

16. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Sure. But I think the pressure will return a little when/if the Archetype plugins get ported as anticipated. That will change the game. I really do like the form factor and the ability to profile what I already have. It makes this a serious contender as a backup/fly rig for me.

17. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

By that point, the FM3 will be widely available with new firmware adding new amps and functionality. It's not like amps and effects in the Archetype series can't be found on an Axe-FX III/FM3 right now. There are a ton of Friedmans that you can tweak on a much deeper level to the end of time. 5150. Fortin Grind pedal model to put in front of any of them. Bogner Shiva. ML Sound Lab IRs galore come with it too. Better reverb and delay as well.

I'm welcoming the competition because it makes all of the players in the space work harder and offer more value. But, uh, that demo was....ill-advised.

Flappydoodle, Masoo2, Thaeon and 2 others like this.
  18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I agree with this. I am testing the Archetype Plini right now and it took me very little effort to get sounds I like out of it. By comparison getting Helix Native to where I want it was more work, especially in the stock cabs department. Doesn't mean the Helix sounds worse, it just doesn't have that pre-configured, immediately good sound I was able to get from the Plini. One of the reasons I went back to real amps for non-recording uses is that they are limited and easy to use and that is something most modeler makers (and users) refuse to acknowledge by adding and requesting more crap piled in.

If you run any of the top tier plugins or hardware modelers through the some really good cab sims you are going to get nice tones out of all of them.

Sure, the demo does not sound great but that does not mean that it is representative of the unit. You can find tons of bad demos of tube amps as well as any modeler. Just a poor choice of a cab sim can spoil the goods and maybe as it was it sounded good when heard through the big studio monitors he was using. Maybe that sound would work great in a mix.

The one area where Fractal needs to be sweating is user interface, not tone or feel. They are the top dog for those and the Quad Cortex will not change that. Fractal has about 10+ years of development knowledge under their belt right now. The only area where they need to up their game is usability.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  19. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

UI and ease of use are one of the main factors for me. I could get lost in the rabbit hole of eternal tweaking nightmare in FM3 as i did in AxeFx. The simpler the better for me. But the most important things are the sound and the feel. If I could get them without any tweaking - that is the product for me. That’s why i LOVE NDSP Nolly and Plini plugins. Few clicks and I have spectacular sound and hood feel out of it.
    Quad Cortex is even too much for me. Give me Nolly plugin with good chorus and hardware with 4-5 switches and i’m all good.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    axxessdenied and zenonshandro like this.
  20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Maybe bias is the wrong word...whoever wrote it feels like the preorder time is too much, and therefore the product will be not finished, or will never appear or something, and then goes from that small (made up) point to extrapolate it to how they're in the wrong market/price bracket, using an exploded diagram is somehow misleading. He's acting like no company has ever done preorders on a product, and that if this doesn't drop immediately on time it will be the worst thing that ever happened or something (cough FM3), or that the company isn't directly connected to another company that has been producing its own (highly-regarded) hardware, or that the company can't make models that sound good (even though their plugins are hot shit ATM). I dunno, the whole thing reads like an angry baby stuck in a puddle of his own piss over something he (or no-one else) has even used. At least my criticisms are based on information we actually have, lol.

GeckoNox, zenonshandro and Wolfhorsky like this.