Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

They are looking to get it below 2.5ms. For reference, Fractal says Axe-Fx 2/3 round trip latency is around 1ms and Helix is about 2ms. No, you can't tell a difference in latency between the two. Just using a VST plugin you most like have much higher roundtrip latency unless you have a very high end audio interface.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I do, but Ive only been checking PM's lately. No response to my iii + midi mate thread :(.

3. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Not purposefully from what I've seen. Been on the waitlist since day one for it and the latest hold up was firmware bugs. That's all.
    Support for the FM3 just got added to Fractal Bot so it appears to be getting much closer to release day.

noise in my mind likes this.
  4. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

This just in

5. budda

Not my take, but probably a worthwhile read since dropping $2k isn't easy for a good chunk of the members here. As you were.

Avedas, Masoo2, StevenC and 3 others like this.
  6. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I know Neural makes great stuff, but I gotta say I'm surprised how many people are willing to plunk down cash on a unit that won't even ship until 8 months from now that you've also never heard or seen a manual for. I guess the fact that it's not that pricey a deposit and it's 100% refundable is the attraction, but the way I look at it other competing products can come out within that time and the release date can be pushed back, sometimes several times. Has there been any mention of what 50+ amp models are included by default?

Rev.

7. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Not to be a "Negative Nacy", but I think they would've been wiser waiting than allowing that to be posted. Three lack-luster sounds that could be easily accomplished with a POD HD. Just saying. I'm sure the unit will be waaaay better by the time it's released, I have no doubt there, but that video alone would have me considering my choice of a deposit had I made one.

Rev.

Masoo2 likes this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I understand that they wanted to demo the onboard sounds however if they really wanted to sell it, demo it with Nameless or NTS

PuriPuriPrisoner likes this.
  9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I mean, that whole thing is equally full of bias and made-up-ness as the product advertising.

10. budda

Given the writer does not care about the competitors either, what is the bias? Honest question, I didn't write it :lol:.

Feel free to pick it apart.

11. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Sauce plz.

12. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Man, tough crowd. I thought it sounded fine.

I mean, you can imagine that the Axe-FX III will probably get a small price decrease by QC launch time, and the two units are going to likely be priced similarly and pretty comparable tonally. So to me the distinguishing point is more the form factor and interface. I'd rather sit down with the QC right next to me than have the Axe in some rack somewhere, and I'd rather have a box I can bring with me somewhere (or even elsewhere around the apartment). Whereas the Axe will have more parameters to tweak any sound (and all the more reason why it's baffling to me how they could overlook doing a significant UI redesign over the past 10 years).

I don't know who "GB" is but that's such a flakey criticism. They have done hardware, basically, under DarkGlass. It's not the same company, but let's not pretend like it's not drawing from the same set of guys and facilities. In terms of the tech not being proven, sure, but it's not a huge leap from the plug-ins. They have quite low CPU usage. Sounds like a Fractal fanboy.

I'm half facetious but the biggest red flag to me is that "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains" quote in the video and etched on the bottom. How pretentious. Did they not understand the moral of Ozymandias or is there some context I'm missing where this makes sense here? That and the biomimetic stuff. Don't let the marketing tail wag the product dog.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Restarted, StevenC, budda and 2 others like this.
  13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Eh. Not the best way to introduce a beta. Helix teasers with lame cabs sounded a bit more lively.

Masoo2 likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

:shrug: I thought the demo sounded fine.

15. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I just think they should've waited and done a more proper demo for the first sound unveiling. I mean think about it... seems like they are getting quite ahead of themselves. They release the teaser pic on Facebook and not even a week later we have the full info on what it is along with a call to preorder with an 8 month away ship time. Then they release this lackluster video only a few days later. Someone next in charge over there needs someone to throttle the one in charge and have them slow down a bit lol. Supporters will still be waiting and not going anywhere.

Rev.

16. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I thought the Marshall tone sounded about right. Nothing that blew me away tbh, but I like it. The lead tone was a bit fizzy and bloated and sounded like a stereotypical “modeler” tone to me. Clean tones are impossible to judge critically when drowning in effects, so meh overall. I could do a show with those sounds and be content, but I’d just as happily stick with what I have, based on that sample.

Masoo2 and I play music like this.
  17. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

It sounded ... ok. They probably could've taken a week or so to make a more polished video for first impressions, but eh, whatever.

Despite the gimmicky biomimetic marketing, I really hope the product succeeds.

Mostly because it doesn't appear like Christoph Kemper is interested in developing a radically new Kemper SKU in response to existing competitors, so hopefully a brand new company entering the market might be the needed push.

18. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I actually think the 'amp profiler' as we know it with Kemper will slowly die as people seem to be leaning more towards modelling.

19. budda

Anything but, actually :lol:.

Re the quote: it was that or the one related to the atom bomb it seems.

20. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Possible, but I think there are two major benefits of profiling that'll drive its longevity:

1. You can take an exact copy of your pre-existing rig with you in a lighter, more compact format
    2. You don't need to have in-depth knowledge of tone creation, just get a profile you like and slap it on

If you tend to read modeller comparison threads, especially on forums with less "pro" users, number two comes up surprisingly often.

noise in my mind likes this.