Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

And yet its always the recorded tones of amps that people chase.

I was going to keep my 412, til i had to move it. My back deserves the break :lol:.

Obviously there's many ways to tackle tone. If I find myself longing for an amp in the room tone, I will probably downsize the cab :lol:.

2. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

A Mesa Boogie Thiele with an EVM12L is a good inestment. Love mine with the powered Kemper

3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Same as every other modeler, not very noticeable.

Da fuq, thread about Quad Cortex in Fractal Audio's forum got deleted. It must have been a total dumpster fire in there.

4. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure you mean you wish it had a hardware power switch, but it does have a software/UI power switch according to @Doug Castro. I'm not sure how that correlates for actual power usage and such.

2.5ms should NOT be perceivable. If you're playing through a real amp/cab from 8 feet away, you'll get 2.5ms of "latency".

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  5. Deadpool_25

Maybe. The Quartex seems like it will be a real threat in terms of modeler market share, so I'm not overly surprised they'd dump that thread even if it was perfectly civil and logical. Which, even though I hadn't seen it, I'm 100% sure it wasn't lol

6. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Someone must have whispered FM3.

7. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Thread was in the lounge section which is for all kinds of off-topic discussion, reason for deleting it seems biased.

UI power switch? How it works when powering on? If some of the footswitches or volume knob is made to do that.

Wolfhorsky and bmth4111 like this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah two hours with a Kemper just scrolling through presets and it became obvious that the profile is the profile and EQ beyond one or two “notches” in either direction hurt more than helped.

Fantastic for finding profiles you like and then just sticking with it (what I wanted).

But if you like to tinker? AxeFX, Helix, this neural thing potentially is going to do more of what you want.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If the Neural can have accurate profiling AND somehow have a way to emulate the EQ/Gain controls of the specific amp (pipe dream I know, but if they do it... :lol:) I don't give a shit about how cheesy their marketing is, this would be a Kemper killer.

bmth4111 and Mathemagician like this.
  10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

That would be an everything killer :lol: Doug himself said, in that live QnA, that it’s totally unrealistic to spend the programming time to create an EQ like that, as it’d be millions of data points. It sounded to me like he was implying a general static EQ would apply over the capture, just like the Kemper does. Using the touchscreen parametric EQ looks like it’d be dope though.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah it's what I assumed. Too many variables, especially where you have EQs that can have single controls that influence the entie section (see: Mesa Mark and Recto). But one can dream. :(

12. Deadpool_25

Yeah. I like to be able to dial in tones using traditional controls (GBMTPR etc.). I don't need or want the depth of control the AxeFX gives which is one reason I sold it. The appeal of the NDSP plugins (I have the Plini) is that they sound great out of the box and have a relatively limited selection of choices. If you want to tweak something the controls are simple, intuitive, and even graphically familiar.

I've said it would be cool to have a simple piece of gear that would allow me to run Archetype: Plini through my amp's FX loop. Along with that, I'd like to have some more tradional sounds. Not a lot; maybe Plexi, JCM800, and some nice Fendery cleans. This will do all that (and obviously a lot more). If they stick with their norm of keeping the options down/reasonable and having super high quality sounds, this will be great for me.

Additionally, I hope enough consideration is given to those who want to run either their whole signal chain, or part of it, through a real amp FX loop. Doug said on the Q&A that they're considering separating the preamp and poweramp sections of the models for this purpose so it's at least a topic of discussion.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  13. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Seems like Fractal is getting nervous. They deleted the Quad Cortex thread on their forum!

Wolfhorsky, benvigil and bmth4111 like this.
  14. Deadpool_25

Correcting myself, I think 2.5ms more equates to 3 feet.

bmth4111 likes this.
  15. Deadpool_25

@Metropolis mentioned that a few posts up. I think it's perfectly reasonable from a business point of view, OT forum or not. Biased? Yes, certainly. As they should be.

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Yeah, doesn't bother me. I think they are delaying the FM3 now even more and basically redesigning a bunch of its functions to complete with the Quad Cortex. Just a guess.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Business? Maybe.

PR wise? Streisand Effect. :ugh:

I'm still curious if it's because the thread was a trashfire.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Or they deleted it because people were being assholes. But maybe that's not conspiracy enough :lol:

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

That's what I'm wondering. I don't browse the forums so I can't say.

20. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

No need for conspiracy - there's literally billions of Internet Toughguys out there waiting to get their user account blocked. Fractal is actually quite liberal with threads about competitor products on their forum. There's tons of Helix and Kemper discussions...

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.