Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Lifestalker

Lifestalker SS.org Regular

There’s probably some sort of option to lock it while performing. If not, that would be a cool feature.

wakjob likes this.
  2. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Interesting.

More competition in the modelling market is always welcome; bit weird that the plugins don't come pre-installed for the price, but whatever. Not sure how the SHARC DSP compares to whatever the Axe FX III is using. On the other hand, Kemper has been coasting on a comparatively primordial chip for 10 years, and people keep arguing if it's the best or only the second best sounding modeller.

All in all, really curious to hear at least some youtube comparisons, and a ton more curious to see how other companies react.

The marketing is hilarious though. biomimetic AI technology

Mate velcro is biomimetic, u wot

3. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

In theory, you can definitely hijack the unit via wifi and change someone else's setting during a gig. Say, you hate a Neural DSP shill playing at NAMM...and boom...he suddenly plays through a neurally captured BC Rich 10w practice amp.

Flappydoodle and Lifestalker like this.
  4. ThisBrokenMachine

ThisBrokenMachine Architectural Metal

Yeah, I hope this

5. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

I was hoping it would be a bit cheaper and simpler and it would include the existing plugins, I may or may not pre-order it - waffling hard....

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  6. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I guess I'm not seeing that big of an issue with them not including the plugins. You bought the plugins expecting it to work just on your computer and nothing more. IMO it's cool that they're making it compatible and for free. Especially when there's already 50 amps on the thing.

7. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

Seems overpriced to me. I'll probably be buy some cheap amps when people sell them to buy this thing though.

8. Lifestalker

Lifestalker SS.org Regular

Are you sure you aren’t misunderstanding what’s being offered? There’s 50+ amps, 70+ effects and 1,000+ IRs.

If three or four suites aren’t included, it’s no arrow through the heart for me. I’m sure there will be generic versions of each. (Or maybe I’m wrong?) It would be a very cool addition.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I didn't buy any of the plugins, mostly because I figured they were coming out with hardware sometime in the near future that would have the plugins.

You're probably right in that the amps are "in there" just different, still seems like silly thing to do when you're known for the plugins, to not include them code-for-code in your hardware.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  10. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

I guess there will be overlap because there's clearly a 5150 in there...just not the Nolly 5150? I'm sure they'll have a Friedman in there, just not the Plini Friedman? And so on and so forth.

11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It’s just a little strange when the company has made their reputation on these high quality plugins that people would love to use on a physical unit at home, practice or live. They will work on the unit but are paid add ons. People just expected them to include their own amp sims on an amp simulator.

Masoo2 and GunpointMetal like this.
  12. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Only if you dip your fingers in your beer. They mention on the page that it has similar glass you would find on smartphones so it should be plenty durable.

Everything about the unit looks good to me. This is the level of UI I would expect on a modern modeler.

I already have a Helix that does the job for me so I'm not gonna bite but I will be looking at reviews and videos when these ship.

13. Frostbite

I feel like that's on people and not Neural. There was a lot of speculation and I think people got their hopes up for stuff that was never going to happen. It just seems silly to me to get mad about a feature not being in there that was never promised

Lifestalker likes this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

And the fact that all the DLC comes to almost €600.

15. Frostbite

So you assumed something that ended up being wrong and was never promised and now you're not happy about it? That just seems silly to me IMO

16. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It's funny how they're calling it the most powerful guitar modeller on the planet, yet the only inputs are 2 XLR jacks.

[​IMG]

So add, 1/4" to XLR adapters to the cost.... For $1,600 US, you'd think you would be able to use a regular guitar cable with it.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I’m not sure you understand where everyone is coming from. The feature is in there, the unit can load the plugins and will load the plugins. That’s why people are wondering why they aren’t including their own amp sims.

And of course nothing was promised. This was only teased a few days ago with no leaks or public build up whatsoever. People have only known about it for 2 hours. How could things have been promised?

Masoo2 likes this.
  18. GunpointMetal

I'm not mad, it already costs more than I'm willing to pay for a floorboard that doesn't even have it's own EXP pedal. I use like 1/3 of the capabilities of the Helix, but I do use my EXP all the time, for multiple things, so this plus an EXP pedal (probably two, depending on how the switching is set up) means it costs more than Helix for a bunch of features I won't personally use. But, this ....
    I don't see why it's silly to think that they would include their own plugin amps in their own hardware. I'm not the market for this, based on the current information/pricing. But it's still a really cool product, and I always like seeing companies expanding the devices in this arena, because we all benefit come next gen or down-the-road updates.

19. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

It's not dlc, it's another product they sell. That's like going to buy and Golf and being pissed off they didn't include a Polo.

They would cannibalize their own business if they included it all because no one will invest in the plugins anymore and people who have already purchased a plugin (or more) will be pissed that they are getting a raw deal compared to new adaptors.

It makes no sense to let down loyal customers in favour of new ones. By allowing current owners to use their plugins in this they are rewarding current customers for their previous purchases. Which makes perfect sense to me.

20. GunpointMetal

wait....there's no 1/4" input? That's gotta be a mistake.