Neural DSP plugins for practise?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 70Seven, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

2000$ Speakers into a 100$ interface. Love it :lol:

Elric and budda like this.
  2. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Back in the day I played an ESP Eclipse through a Line 6 Spider III. No shame.

Kyle Jordan and Perge like this.
  3. Emperoff

Shame? Maybe not... Bottleneck? Hell yeah! :lol:

Blytheryn likes this.
  4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I mean I’ve upgraded to Daemoness through Neural, so I guess old habits don’t die! :lol:

Emperoff likes this.
  5. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Prior to getting my Axe FX III, I’ve spent the last 3 years playing two USA Select Soloists and an Indo Ibanez through an OG Vypyr 30 combo exclusively sans trying plugins.

Owned the amp for 11-12 years. Love that little thing.

BMFan30 and Blytheryn like this.
  6. t1337Dude

t1337Dude SS.org Regular

As a veteran audiophile I'd challenge your assumption on that one. The Focusrite Solo is a more than capable DAC. If you're buying interfaces for sound quality and not their features, I'd argue you're doing it wrong. It has all the features I need and records at the sample rate I need at a perfectly low latency - no bottleneck at all.

If you're a sound quality guy, you should be prioritizing money into your speakers, then room acoustics, and then essentially you should be getting any DAC/receiver/amp that "gets the job done". Doing anything else is buying into snake oil. I have 3 different DACs right in front of me that I can A/B/C between. They're identical, and I guarantee you'd never be able to pinpoint which is which is a an abx test. If you're trying to tell people otherwise, then I'm curious what it is you're trying to sell me.

It pains me to see people swayed into upgrading their DAC for sound quality when they haven't even acoustically treated their room out, which is usually the more pragmatic yet more expensive venture as for as sound quality goes. In this case I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not talking about the DAC but the features. I just play guitar so I don't need a ton of ports.

But to bring it back to the thread, I did just order a couple of pedals to be used with Gojira and other Neural DSP software. Ordered myself a spring-loaded Mission EP-1 and Fractal Audio EV-1, with one of those MIDI Expression interfaces from Audiofront (this is where a better interface would've come in handy). I'm hyped to get it all hooked up.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    nickgray and AboutBlank like this.
  7. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Plini used his NDP plugin for all lead tones on his latest album. Per Nilsson will use it for leads on the future SS album. Archétype Plini has great lead tones IMO.

slan likes this.
  8. Poul Winther Knudsen

Poul Winther Knudsen SS.org Regular

Read his post - continuing to create new emails to be able to continue to use it without paying, and when confronted suddenly complaining that it's alright because he paid for another plugin and no longer likes it. What a loser!

9. Emperoff

I read it. He's not stealing anything, nor using cracked software. He's just being clever.

If NSDP used machine authorisation (like for example S-Gear) you wouldn't be able to do that, but since they don't, that happens.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, that's about as much "stealing" as making a go at a second round of samples at Costco.

Emperoff likes this.
  11. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

One time I ate a free sample in a grocery store, and deep down inside I knew I wasn't even going to buy them. I'm a goddamn monster.

I mean, I don't know who you are, but as a fairly regular member most people are aware that my apartment is 4-high stacks of amps that I basically try to carve out enough space to sleep in. I don't even have enough time to play 5% of them regularly, so the thought of me actually spending the time make duplicate accounts to get more time with neuraldsp plugins is laughable. That was my point in mentioning that I bought nameless -- that I own one of these and I don't even play it. I thought that was fairly obvious but perhaps the helmet of your white knight armor is limiting your visibility.

And my point with that first post was again that, between the free trials of all VST software, good free VSTs, and more being released every month, you can basically coast for forever on free things. Like my gf is now a few months into VSTs and is only like halfway through neural's stuff. It's a good time if you're cheap or if you're traveling and want to whip up something, it's easy to do so while spending next to no money (if anything).