Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtDecade

Blurry Eyes
Reaction score
narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Love me some Winger. I think you will find they have a lot of fans on this forum. Reb is a killer player.

Here is your boy Stephen Carpenter talking about being both a flat-earther and an anti-vaxxer. Enjoy.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/deft...-carpenter-believes-the-earth-is-flat-2815813

That's just his public persona. Polyphia has this whole cristal and trustfund kid vibe going on. Carpenter has this whole crystals and trust-no-one kind of vibe going on.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ITT: Psychological projection & butthurt

Tim "bad tone no taste" Henson and Scott "I don't like this guys pants so he must be a dickhead" LePage with their record deals and world tours + being invited to play with Vai, Satch, and Paul Gilbert on stage, those guys must SUCK.

It's also hilarious that people here can't seem to/are pretending not to grasp what they mean by "guitar music" in comparison to what they play to seemingly just hate on the dude.

HAHA WOW HE PLAYS A GUITAR YET DOESN'T ENJOY GUITAR-CENTRIC MUSIC, CHECK MATE PUFFY SHIRT!

e47.png

It's weird when musicians deride and dismiss people trying to do something relatively new, especially if it gets others to pick up an instrument.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, everything you said is accurate, but they're still insufferable personalities in interviews.
ITT: Psychological projection & butthurt

Tim "bad tone no taste" Henson and Scott "I don't like this guys pants so he must be a dickhead" LePage with their record deals and world tours + being invited to play with Vai, Satch, and Paul Gilbert on stage, those guys must SUCK.

It's also hilarious that people here can't seem to/are pretending not to grasp what they mean by "guitar music" in comparison to what they play to seemingly just hate on the dude.

HAHA WOW HE PLAYS A GUITAR YET DOESN'T ENJOY GUITAR-CENTRIC MUSIC, CHECK MATE PUFFY SHIRT!

e47.png

It's weird when musicians deride and dismiss people trying to do something relatively new, especially if it gets others to pick up an instrument.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Aren’t these dudes still in their early 20’s? They’re still kids and experiencing attention and fame. Depending on how they were raised and how much they’ve been taught to be grateful for things in life will be a big determining factor in how they respond to that attention and fame.

Certainly not the first time a younger person develops a bit of an ego after obtaining some success and they won’t be the last.

And ya never know what they’re being told to do by their publicist. Yngwie’s ego is bigger than his music. No one gives a shit about Yngwie’s music any more, nor have they in quite some time, but his personality still gets him headlines in the guitar community. In fact, I’m under the belief that he was told to start letting that ego fly again because in the 2010’s he seemed to chill quite a bit, but it’s all coming out again. Without Yngwie’s ego, there’s just some dude who plays fast.

So far all we know, their publicist could be like, “Just keep saying whatever comes in your mind, the more noise you make, the more views you’re going to get on YouTube.” For every person that doesn’t know the band and saw that “I hope guitar music dies” headline, they probably got a couple thousand extra clicks out of just that headline.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Tim will out troll you...and out play you.

The funniest part is how anyone can take the cringe/ego shit seriously and when they really ramp up the cringe factor people double down it.

The kids are more than alright.

I remember being really offended by the Dimarzio pics for like 2 minutes. What a dumbshit I was. :lol:

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't understand why he won't just make actual rap music, surely that would be more successful at killing guitar music than his guitar. But Nu Metal tried that already and failed because they accidentally brought random people to love metal instead.

What he makes is basically rap music anyways, it's just in denial about it somehow. He looks like a soundcloud rapper. Why the need to almost make full circle, but not quite? Fucking lap up already.
Tim will out troll you...and out play you.

The funniest part is how anyone can take the cringe/ego shit seriously and when they really ramp up the cringe factor people double down it.

The kids are more than alright.

I remember being really offended by the Dimarzio pics for like 2 minutes. What a dumbshit I was. :lol:
If his cringe/emo act shouldn't be taken seriously then why put so many resources and money to put forth this act and doing interviews to promote it? I've seen acts that don't take themselves seriously and it shows. This is just who they are.

Is it just a parody to drive up sales by getting everyone to hate douchbaggery? If so it's working I guess. "We got you your own plugin but if only they knew you were just kidding about it" hahaha

He should at least get rappers on his tracks so he doesn't deny them their power on songs that will kill the guitar scene dead in its tracks because he idolizes raps. What does one get from cringe acts other than everyone talking about how cringy it is even if they are defending them?

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
I don't understand why he won't just make actual rap music, surely that would be more successful at killing guitar music than his guitar. But Nu Metal tried that already and failed because they accidentally brought random people to love metal instead.

What he makes is basically rap music anyways, it's just in denial about it somehow. He looks like a soundcloud rapper. Why the need to almost make full circle, but not quite? Fucking lap up already.

If his cringe/emo act shouldn't be taken seriously then why put so many resources and money to put forth this act and doing interviews to promote it? I've seen acts that don't take themselves seriously and it shows. This is just who they are.

Is it just a parody to drive up sales by getting everyone to hate douchbaggery? If so it's working I guess. "We got you your own plugin but if only they knew you were just kidding about it" hahaha

He should at least get rappers on his tracks so he doesn't deny them their power on songs that will kill the guitar scene dead in its tracks because he idolizes raps. What does one get from cringe acts other than everyone talking about how cringy it is even if they are defending them?
Polyphia's new album is actually going to be them collaborating with rappers. He talked about it on the Goons podcast earlier in the year.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Polyphia's new album is actually going to be them collaborating with rappers. He talked about it on the Goons podcast earlier in the year.
I actually would respect it more for it's translated honesty than the shit they're pulling now while everyone is saying they're joking about the cringe factor.

I have no problem with Hip-Hop taking a side route to get it done. The Roots did it, I actually like The Roots though.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
I actually would respect it more for it's translated honesty than the shit they're pulling now while everyone is saying they're joking about the cringe factor.

I have no problem with Hip-Hop taking a side route to get it done. The Roots did it, I actually like The Roots though.
Honestly that episode of the podcast is quite interesting as all the dudes on it are primarily video game youtubers, but they're all interested in guitars/guitar music to a degree.
Tim talks about how when the band first started they were playing super fast techy deathcore stuff, then it mutated into djenty stuff, then they started moving towards a very different sound as their tastes change. He also mentions how he's been interested in hip hop/rap for quite some time, and was in contact with guys like blackbear for years, so this is long coming apparently. More power to them if they can bring guitar acrobatics to the masses. Besides, we always have Ghostemane if you want basically black metal mixed with rap lol

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tim talks about how when the band first started they were playing super fast techy deathcore stuff, then it mutated into djenty stuff, then they started moving towards a very different sound as their tastes change.
As it does when you progress with music. This parts honest. The trip is about ending somewhere other than where you started.

He also mentions how he's been interested in hip hop/rap for quite some time, and was in contact with guys like blackbear for years, so this is long coming apparently. More power to them if they can bring guitar acrobatics to the masses. Besides, we always have Ghostemane if you want basically black metal mixed with rap lol
I never knew someone actually mixed black metal with rap. Bunghole widening. Not sure if I should check or not.

I'm just not sure why he would try to kill guitar music other than make alternative rap music because that's what he's doing no matter what he calls it. People make music with guitars aren't out to take away from other genres more than add more to their own. Taste is subjective without any wrong answers.

Maybe he does just seek attention by trying to piss off the same crowd they came from. Just don't see why he needs to do that. Could just leave it at "I love rap music and would like to have my own take on it using real instruments"

Maybe that way people who read his article might get an honest representation other than pissing them off just because he came from metal and knows how much they care about their music.

Last edited:

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Love me some Winger. I think you will find they have a lot of fans on this forum. Reb is a killer player.

Here is your boy Stephen Carpenter talking about being both a flat-earther and an anti-vaxxer. Enjoy.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/deft...-carpenter-believes-the-earth-is-flat-2815813
Sorry for the offtopic.
OMG. One of many problems of our society is that most of people don't differentiate the their own opinions with the facts. Stephen isn't an engineer or a doctor, so His opinions are based upon His own thoughts, not proper education and knowledge. Blame Dunning-Kruger effect here. But here's another problem: very many people listen to and have faith in the words of famous people, regardless of their knowledge and expertise.
But, damn... Guy flies AROUND the world and still thinks that Earth is flat... :lol: It is a good example how education is important for our future.
And yes - while being an idiot, sometimes it is better to remain silent than dispel the doubts. :lol:
Sorry for the offtopic.

Regarding the Tim persona - I really don't like their (Polyphia) recent stuff. If the plugin/app is made to achieve that annoying (for me of course) sounds then it is clear that it is not aimed at demographic where I belong.
Cheers and peace.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
“That was the whole point, was to polarize. You either love it or you fucking hate it. And that’s what we want.”
- Tim Henson, 2019

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh. It occurs to me that this sound he’s talking about around the 9:00 mark is likely what ended up being the Vocalizer in the plug-in. Interesting.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No disrepect @Deadpool_25
Huh....super mid. Not tooting my own horn by any means here guys, but i've found very, VERY few guitarists out there in my playing that has made me think damn, i need to get my chops into shape. "mid"? I've played some shows with some big bands, got the crowds from them. Ended up having other band mates end up flaking and dropping out. I can say with absolute fucking certainty, that it has NOTHING to do solely, with skill. It's about the break at the right time, with the right band at the right venue.

sawtoothscream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll probably try it out, my amps in the repair shop so I'm just running through all the free trials until it's done. Doubt I'll like it but the cleans might be fun. Tried Nolly ,slow and have plini now. So far the slo is the best one for me.

Not a huge polyphia fan these days , can respect tims skill though.

Status
Not open for further replies.