Neural DSP - ARCHETYPE : NOLLY

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Lorcan Ward, Aug 23, 2019.

1. shpence

shpence SS.org Regular

Gonna have to check this out. Liked the clean tones I got out of Plini's! But, I am mostly interested in the specs of Nolly's PRS(s)?.

2. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

anyhoo

Nolly has such an enjoyable production style naturally a super-produced demo is going to sound great... Ola didn't do as well. Generally these curated VST amp sims are fantastic these days. It's the "model everything" stuff that doesn't quite make the grade.

Neural has better value for this kinda thing than most others. 120 euro for a few amp models, pedals and cabs while the same amount of money from somebody like Nembrini or brainworx only gets you one amp with a big collection of IRs and barebones extra features.

shootout between the Neural VH4 and the new brainworx VH4 model would be interesting. Been very very happy with brainworx stuff lately but I haven't given Neural a shake in months

depends on the scene maybe, in synthwave literally no one in the audience cares if you're playing to backing tracks or not. hard to share a stage and come off well when you have to play a real instrument and the guys with a big stack of synths aren't even bothering to press their keys. oh well

3. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Welp, I did the damn thing and utilized the stacking discounts. I bought Nolly AND Plini archetypes. Because why not?:banana:

At this point I think I'll have more plugin tones than I'll ever know what to do with. (I also have Blue Cat Axiom and Nameless).

Deadpool_25 and Kaura like this.
  4. Kaura

Kaura communism is alive

I'm just sitting here waiting that my salary transfers to my bank account so I can pre-order this plugin and go to bed. :lol:

Deadpool_25 and Backsnack like this.
  5. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Also, how did this thread go so far off the rails talking about the Beatles, pop, and who does or doesn't have talent?

6. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

A couple years ago, Line6 had Helix Native on sale during Christmas for $199. IMO that's an insane deal (50% off).

7. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

AC30 sim plz.

Kaura and Doug Castro like this.
  8. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Simple. Someone made the broad assertion that guitarists having access to recording tools that were easier to use (e.g. VSTs such as Neural DSP's products) has made the music overly similar and generally worse. That person then went on to denigrate guitarists with single-word aliases (for example, the artist behind this particular product), straight-up insult Youtube guitarists (a group with broad overlap with Neural's customers), and then attack the perceived (and notably not known) age of one of people arguing against his claims in an attempt to discredit that person instead of putting forth a relevant counter-argument. I can't really connect that last one to Neural DSP aside from a broad assumption that most of their target market is also relatively young.

So yeah, not that far off the rails, all things considered.

9. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Seems like there are always a few who will use the internet as a platform to be a hater and project their own inadequacies.

10. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

I had the Nolly plugin in my cart, then stopped, watched Rabea's youtube video of the NTS, and changed my mind last second and got the NTS. I like Fortin. Not to say I wont get Nolly, I will, just wanted the NTS more I guess.

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Because stubborn people who are stuck in the past. One minute for demo to be available for download.

12. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

First day on the Internet? :D

Gotta say I was really impressed by the Nolly demo... looking forward to hearing what other people can do with the suite. And me too, I guess, but I don't have a great track record of getting the best out of amp sims...

Backsnack likes this.
  13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It's up for download now. I'm just fiddling with the "Juice Chug" preset but I'm really impressed so far.

14. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

Ran Nolly through its paces. Caught a few bugs, but other than that it runs really well in Live 10.1. I definitely dig the 3rd amp a lot, its really crunchy, and the cab IR's sound great. I cant seem to get that 4th amp to sound good for my ears though. First and second amps sound great for clean and crunch. Effects are good. Reverb sounds really good. Presets do the plugin justice. Good job on that. For my taste, I like the Fortins, and the Plini a bit better, but that is just a matter of taste.

I think the Nolly plugin kicks ass, and definitely sits well in a mix, and thats what is most important. Can it sit in a mix and sound good, and it definitely does.

Something to be said about the Neural plugins, compared to everything else. They always sound amazing. Responsive, and always give the user options to shape tone.

I definitely want to see what NDSP comes out with next, my fingers are crossed for more single amp models. I like the idea of loading up a favorite amp models like Fortins, rather than artist models. I guess it gives the user the feeling that their broke :taunt: can finally have a piece of the pie with expensive amps

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Now I’m getting this plugin for sure.

16. ShadowsfeaR

ShadowsfeaR aka VigilSerus

I picked it up yesterday and jammed around with it for a while. Its definitely the best sounding sim I've gotten to play around with, and now I'm really excited to throw this into mixes. If anyone's interested, Neural "confirmed" the amp models used for this suite. "1/ Bogner Shiva, 2/ Modded Marshall, 3/ Peavey 5150 block letter, 4/ Victory Kraken" (courtesy of Raoul Tchoï via YT comments section)

First impressions for a couple heads:
    The clean is impeccable. I absolutely LOVE how much fullness and touch-sensitivity the first model has. Has that super delicate, detail driven clean that you'd expect to be perfect for all the "djenty clean" shit. Of course easily overdriven, but its such a lovely treat.

The third model is smashing. This may be my go to for rhythms, as Im sure was the intent. All the palm mutes and digging in really shines on this model, and I suspect its going to play really nice with low shit and marrying it with a full range bass in a mix is gonna be really fun.

17. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I have played with this since yesterday. Fortins are just monsters, Plini and Nolly are more versatile. Effects and cabs are great in this one, overall great product as always.

18. Deadpool_25

Interesting. I’d never have guessed the Shiva but I do remember the Shiver Clean was a great crystal clean on my AxeFX. The middle 2 are kind of obvious I guess and the Kraken is an interesting fourth pick.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Fourth amp is a heavily modded V30.

ShadowsfeaR and Deadpool_25 like this.
  20. Deadpool_25

This makes more sense. Thanks.