Need some Triple Rec help... about to light this stupid thing on fire

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by xxvicarious, Dec 14, 2012.

1. xxvicarious

xxvicarious SS.org Regular

My rhythm guitarist/lead singer has a Mesa Triple Rec (2008/2009?),
    I've been trying to get him to dial in a decent tone for two years, since
    I've known the guy. I've tried time and time again to dial in a nice tone, as
    his stems for our new album are going to be recorded in 2 or 3 days.

My problem is this horrid FIZZ that keeps coming through the mic (SM57).
    It's driving me insane. I understand Mesa's have a natural fizziness, but
    this is just over the top. I'm trying to achieve a nice tight and bright tone
    (I guess you could say some Pete Loeffler-esque stuff).

Does anyone have some personal settings for a Triple Rec that would
    help me out on this? THE FIZZ MUST DIE!!! :lol:

Thanks!

2. boltzthrower

boltzthrower SS.org Regular

Assuming your mic placement is good, throw an EQ in the fx loop and cut some frequencies, I'd try messing with everything from 2k and up, and try different combinations of cutting those highs and lowering the presence.

On the flip side, make sure he's not using too much gain in order to get the desired high end presence. If it's a lot of gain, try turning down the gain and then just boosting the highs that went away when you turned the gain down.

3. Bloodbath Salt

Bloodbath Salt Title-less

Try a ISP Decimator, if that doesn't work. Are you using anything as a boost?

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Keep the presence real low, like 8-9 oclock, and then keep the treble around 1-2 oclock....

5. MesaENGR412

MesaENGR412 #3 Forever

Here is where I would suggest to start:
    Channel 2, VINTAGE mode (this will warm the tone up significantly and allow for the channel master volume to be set higher), Bass ~1:00, Mid ~11:00, Treble ~1:30, Presence ~9-10:00, Channel Volume ~12:00, Gain between 1-2:00. On back of amp: Bold, Silicon Diodes, FX loop engaged, with send and return knobs at unity (12:00). Master Output should be able to be set around 10-11:00 without killing your ears, as vintage mode isn't as loud as modern mode.

Between the guitar and amp, there should be a boost (TS808, TS9, OD808, or ZW44 is what I use now, and are good options) and a noise supressor (ISP or Boss NS-2 work great). Settings on the boost should be: gain off or close to off, tone between 10:00 and 12:00 and output between 2:00 and maxed. Guitar should have some sort of medium to high output humbucker in the bridge. Threshold high/decay low on the noisegate (ISP has one knob, set it where it cuts the hiss without cutting out guitar sound when played)

Pete uses Mark iv and v's with PRS guitars, so the tone can't be perfectly replicated since they are completely different sounding amps, however, this will get you closer to that Mark tone than "Modern" with the gain up really high and that presence spike. Hope this helps.

~ means approximate

-AJH

6. xxvicarious

xxvicarious SS.org Regular

YOU sir, are a saint. Thank you!
    Pete does indeed use Mark IV's, My reference was
    just geared towards a similar tone is all (reguarding gain,
    high, and mid settings).

7. Seanthesheep

Seanthesheep SS.org Regular

yea, I usually find the highest gain channels on rectos overly fizzy and I almost always rather push vintage mode as hard as I need

8. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Don't forget hi and lo pass filters when recording.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I had the same problem with my Triple recto head as far as it being to fizzy/scooped/flubby for my taste (I know, I know :lol:)
    I was able to solve, or at least help this problem by putting an EQ in the FX loop. I cut a little bit at 200HZ then boost a little at 400HZ to take away the flub, but also keep the beef of the sound. Then I have a mid-boost between 800HZ and 1.25K with a tiny bit at 1.6K to get the mids I want. I generally cut a bit at 12.5K, then everything above that completely out. My EQ also has both a high and low pass filter, which I have set fairly transparent since most of the shaping comes from the graphic.
    On the back of the amp I have the effect send level all the way up and the return at about 1:30-2:00 to keep a little bit more of the recto low end than just what's on the EQ.
    Just like MesaENGR412, I'm in the chan.2 vintage mode.
    I'd suggest also trying this out, although you may have slightly different results since I have el-34's in my head and generally using tube rectification as opposed to 6L6's on the silicon diode setting. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I'm also running a compressor>ISP>OD808>ISP into the front of the amp

10. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

My friend had a Triple for a while and my brother and I tried to get a good tone from it for so long. It was just a mess. Flubby fizzy harsh scooped crap. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Ive heard lots of good recorded tones from two channel double's... maybe they really are that much better? My friend ended up selling it and getting a good amp.

EDIT: I suppose my suggestion would be to use a different amp.

11. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

If you have the manual for the Triple Rectifier I would dig it out and read it. The way Mesa Boogie's process the guitar signal is thoroughly explained and is a necessity for dialing in a good tone, or at the very least, makes it much easier.

12. JohnnyCNote

JohnnyCNote Великий Пахан Contributor

You could always tell the engineer about the problem and see what ideas s/he has . . .

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Tung sol in v1. Makes a big difference.

14. EOT

EOT I pull over 500 lbs.

:agreed: It's also available on there website.

15. ChrisRushing

ChrisRushing Fretboard Acrobat

Don't forget that mic placement and mic choice can be just as effective as EQ. You should be able to get a usable tone with a 57 but I would much rather have a Sennheiser 421 in front of my cab. To my ears they almost always sound less harsh in the upper frequencies. Your mileage may vary.....

16. T-e-r-r-y

T-e-r-r-y SS.org Regular

Also, placing your SM57 off-axis will kill some of that high-end junk.

17. BHuard75

BHuard75 SS.org Regular

Get the amp modded. Two guys off the top of my head come to mind that take care of flub and fizz are Trace @ Voodoo Amps and FJA Mods. These are pretty popular and common mods done to recto's. My $0.02. I'm sourcing a triple reborn to send to Trace myself.