Need some feedback about Ibanez Iron Label, are they worth the 1k?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Obscurabeast2002, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Obscurabeast2002

Obscurabeast2002 SS.org Regular

Im about to buy an Iron Label RGix7 for about 500$ from craigslist, are they any good? Or should i save up and invest on my second prestige?

[​IMG]

2. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

be patient, save up. It's worth it.

3. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I own 2 prestiges (RGD2127z and S5527) and 1 Iron Label (FRIX6FEAH) and I love all 3. But I pick up the iron label every day, and the prestiges have a thick dust layer on them. Prestiges are good, but I like my Iron label better. If you get a good Iron Label, it is as good as any high dollar instrument.

4. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Iron Labels have had a slew of fret dressing issues. Every single one I ever tried had sharp frets. Never had a problem with Prestige.

You CAN get a great Iron Label, but why bother when used Prestiges are so cheap? :)

buck fever and Musiscience like this.
  5. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

It really depends on the seller. I've seen some used Prestiges for sale with very noticeable marks and prices that don't match with the conditions. It could be just sellers not being good with economics. Either way, I expect any used Ibanez to at least be functional and have some flaws.

6. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Get a Schecter instead.

Nlelith and Xaeldaren like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

I wouldn't buy one unless you can try it before you buy it/ the store has a good return policy. I've played a lot of mediocre iron label and premiums in the last few years (same with X series Jacksons and below). The premiums at least are pretty jam packed specs wise and they have significantly better fret jobs than comparably priced jacksons.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

I e found both the Iron Label and Premiums to sound incredible in paper, but when I get my hands on them, they’re pretty tough and just feel ‘unfinished’.

9. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Sharp fret ends are really not that uncommon on Prestiges, even recent ones.
    Not saying there's not a lot to like on a good Prestige otherwise, but that's not the best argument in their favor.

oracles likes this.
  10. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Iron labels are really a "try before you buy" type situation. 8/10 you pick up will have a complete massacre of a fret job, one will be okay at best, and the last one is usually decent. Used prestiges from the last 10yrs or so aren't as good as their older counterparts IMO, but the older ones are also likely due for fretwork themselves.

The import Schecters seem to have some of the best off the shelf fretwork I've seen.

If youre quick, you can snag a used USA SL1/SL2 around $1-$1.2k

11. Obscurabeast2002

Obscurabeast2002 SS.org Regular

I have a Japanese rgd7 prestige(one on profile pic), how far off is iron label in terms of quality?

12. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The iron labels I've played have been 85% turds. The fretwork sucks, they feel cheap, and occasionally a good one sneaks in and is a decent workhorse guitar. Overall not worth the risk unless you can try before you buy, or the e-retailer has a good return policy.

Samark and AkiraSpectrum like this.