Need some advice (wall of text ahead)

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Need your guys advice

I've been working this crappy retail job averaging about 16 hours a week at 8.50$. And I've been barely managing to afford going to school by saving as much of that as possible between and during semesters for the last 4.

I finally finished my music theory courses which was most of what I was interested in school, I don't think I would get a whole lot out of the other music courses though and career wise a music degree isn't the best.

So I was thinking of skipping this semester and looking for more work to be able to take more classes next semester while trying to figure out what I might want to switch to.

THEN my parents decided they would pay for this semester of school out of nowhere, so I now have money sitting in my checking to pay for this coming semester.

At the same time my friend got a job at a warehouse that pays 10.50 an hour full time and I can probably get in on it as well.

So now I'm debating between:

sticking out what I've been doing with the current job + school

vs

not going to school this semester and just working the full time job and saving the cash up while figuring out what I might want to switch majors to.

vs

trying to juggle a full time job and school at the same time.

My main problem with the last option is I'm afraid I don't really have the will power to get myself to work 40 hours a week AND do school work, I'd probably barely have the will power to work the 40 hours if even that. I easily see either my schoolwork suffering or me detesting the job or a bit of both of I go that route.

I figure I can wing it through some basic classes that aren't major specific this semester if I do option 1 or 3, option 1 meaning nothing changes really but I'm not entirely happy with my current position where switching jobs would be a HUGE pay increase.

option 2 would leave me with a nice surplus of cash and would be easier on me, but then I'd have to have my parents money for this semester just sit there until next semester at the earliest and I don't imagine they'll be enthralled with that. Also I'd like to not not be in school for a semester even though I'd been considering it.

Ugh

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I would say take your parents money, and enroll in as many core classes as you can (only ones that apply to all majors, that way you can still switch majors to whatever you decide and not waste any credits).

I'm actually going back to school this fall to finish my final 12 hours after sitting out all of last year. I can tell you I do not look forward to going back to school now that I'm an "old man" (I'm 25 :lol:). It's going to be difficult to get back in the scholarly mindset. My situation is a bit different though, I left to accept a job offer that is in my degree's field after I finished an internship for the same company. Because it involved working out of state, it afforded me reasonable job security. I'm now on salary (with benefits :cool:) for that company because of it, whereas most of my friends who stayed in school graduated and now are unemployed.

I guess that's my long, convoluted way of saying don't leave school unless the job you are taking applies to your degree. If you are really unhappy at your current job, you can always find another part time "college" job (I had several) while you are still in classes. Never turn down parent's education money either. If they are willing, it's because they want you to finish school. Don't take that for granted. I have to pay for these last 12 hours, and I never realized how expensive school is.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
online classes so you can work and get the schooling in, most places offer core classes online and through night classes so you can get the schooling in when possible.

<- didn't go back to college until I was 30.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I can't do online classes, I need to be taught things in order to learn.

and I already have the money...

the debate is to
~stick with my current job + school
~put off school for a semester and work
~work and go to school at the same time but probably suffer in both.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't take breaks from school unless absolutely necessary. The more you work and get a taste for bringing in cash readily, the more you will not want to return to school.

Reynolds666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't take breaks from school unless absolutely necessary. The more you work and get a taste for bringing in cash readily, the more you will not want to return to school.

:yesway: I have also heard that from many people. If you start being able to afford real foods and going out all the time, you may struggle to return to get a degree which will mean even more money later :)

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I'd say stick with school, man. Warehouse jobs suck, you'll want to punch yourself in the dick within the first week if you choose that banality over school.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
xD I could see that myg

I don't go out much and I can still eat well since I still live with the rents but I could see me loving the additional income.

I have done a warehouse job before and loved everything about it vs any other job I had except for the fact that I was too tired to function when I got home. This ones easier than the last one but I imagine it'll still be tough.

I'm heavily contemplating just trying both for a semester and seeing how it goes because I just hate being stagnant here right now.

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Don't take breaks from school unless absolutely necessary.

I can't stress this enough. It's all you really need to read here lol. Trust me, I did what you're thinking of doing and it was incredibly hard to go back.