Need opinion on new song/mix

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by PatientMental76, Jul 11, 2019 at 1:36 AM.

1. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The samples sound really nice. They have a lot of depth to them. It almost diminished the guitars a bit by comparison. They sound a bit too flat in space. Not sure if you have compression on the guitars but maybe back that off or try some subtle reverb, or possibly slap back delay, to get some depth. The little guitar melody near the end seemed like it could be cleaned up a bit. Where it gets cut off is a bit sloppy to my ear, and at least one note seemed like it was poorly played. It also seemed to sit way above the rest of the mix, which further made the guitars seem 2 dimensional and lacking depth.

It could sound huge if you can bring a bit of life into the guitars though. Thanks for posting it.

PatientMental76 likes this.
  3. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

For some reason the bass is causing a lot of problems along with the tube screamer on the guitars for that song, when i try a different bass tone & overdrive it sounds much better! Thanks for the feedback it helps a lot!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 4:54 PM
    DudeManBrother likes this.
  4. CLAYSHAPER

CLAYSHAPER SS.org Regular

Heavy stuff! It's probably just a matter of taste but I feel like the guitar is fighting too much with the bass in the lower frequencies. If I mixed this I'd probably let the bass do the heavy lifting down there and clean up the guitars slightly with some EQ. I would also like to hear some more life in the drums, maybe some fills and toms wouldn't hurt during some transitions.