Need ideas for a 7-String

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by kingmak4272, Apr 27, 2014.

1. kingmak4272

kingmak4272 New Member

I would like to get a good feeling 7-string with active pickups, if necessary and I can get one with passive and replace them but I need ideas.

2. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

Good feeling is subjective. Did you try out any 7 strings at guitar center or sam ash?

3. heero22

heero22 SS.org Regular

ESP/LTD, Schecter, Ibanez. Whats your price range, and have you tried any 7 strings before?

4. kingmak4272

kingmak4272 New Member

I am stationed overseas so I don't have access to guitar center or even a decent guitar store. I'd say $1500 limit.

5. heero22

heero22 SS.org Regular

At that price range you have A TON of options. Personally I like ESP/LTD guitars (Schecter use the same profiles except on sig models,) they have a thicker more '60s LP style neck, just wider IMO. The 400+ range all come with EMGs loaded in their 7-strings (except sig moddels) and are generally between $700-900. Ibanez has the Iron Label series that are loaded with EMGs, their necks are thinner with a shallow carve and feel great if your a "shredder" type of person, they feel like... well like an Ibanez nothing really compares.
    I would look on the websites to see what calls out to you shape and color wise. Do you have a friend where you're at who plays 7-strings, if so I would try out his to get a feel of the neck profiles.

6. kingmak4272

kingmak4272 New Member

Definitely a shredder and I like that ebony fretboard so I went with a Dark Sunburst Iron Label. Takes about 1.5-2 weeks to get stuff here normally but I will post again after I receive it and let you guys know if I like it. Thanks for the help.

7. heero22

heero22 SS.org Regular

Nice! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

If you're thinking actives then i'd probably go with one of the following (assuming you want to buy new):

EII:
    TE-7

LTD:
    KS-7
    H 1007
    SC-607B (baritone 27" scale)

Schecter:
    SLS c-7 active model (26.5" scale)
    Banshee 7 active model (26.5" scale)
    ATX C-7 (26.5" scale)
    HELLRAISER EXTREME C-7 (26.5" scale)
    Hellraiser Hybrid C-7 (26.5" scale)
    JL-7 (26.5" scale)
    Maus 7 (26.5" scale)

Do you have any other requirements? Brand or type of actives? Body shape? Trem or no trem? Scale length?

9. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

You're mainly looking at schecter, jackson, and esp/ltd. Ibanez has a couple of guitars with stock EMG's. I suggest a hellraiser c7 or one o the sls models from schecter.

10. JoshuaKaroshi

JoshuaKaroshi Karoshi

Cut the shit and fast-forward straight to Carvin! They've got a few different styles of 7 string guitar that have a variety of options at this point. I'm sure something will tickle your fancy and its right in your price range (unless you spec it out to be ultra pimpin').