Need high end custom 7 string guitar recommendations for prog metal

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by metal4life71, Dec 1, 2019.

1. metal4life71

metal4life71 Active Member

I like the Misha 7 string Jackson USA that I tried out but it does not have a Floyd Rose. That is fine as I can get that and find one with a Floyd or Kahler later on and have a custom made with it. I also liked the Ibanez Ironlabel 6 string so need to try out the 7 string model. I figure get on to learn to play 7 for a while and then custom later.

2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Schecters are nice! I've only played a few early 6 string set neck models but hey were phenomenal for sure. What they have now looks even better and at really reasonable prices too.

3. metal4life71

Cool yeah they are not bad- not my style though. I see some good deals on the Misha Jackson USA 7 String and a Vigier 7 string so may get one of those and save up for a custom like an GNG Morgoth or Mayones Regius.

c7spheres likes this.
  4. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Some people already mentioned it: there is no way around testing before you buy, otherwise you might end up with something you'll hate and at that price point, that would be a shame.
    From what you have mentioned I would believe a Regius would be too narrow spaced for you. I might be wrong but I think I remember them being on the tighter side. My old Schecter Blackjack ATX was probably right up your alley but Those are pretty rare to find these days. The closest to that would be any kind of ESP I guess. Suhr is maybe an option as well, their necks are pretty nice to the touch.
    Notable mentions go out to Aristides and Solar guitars, I haven't tried either of those personally though.

Can you maybe narrow down the specs a bit more? Like for example do you want it to be glossy or raw, scale length, shape? etc.

5. metal4life71

@Sogradde sure here is a few things I want or close to it in a custom 7 string guitar:

12" to 20" flatter thin shredder type neck for easier chords close to headstock and wider flatter for easier solo scalar lead stuff

- BKP or Lundgren pickups
    - Superstrat shape with deep cutaways to easily reach upper frets
    - Stainless Steel frets
    - Ebony or roasted birdseye maple fretboard
    - Roasted maple neck
    - Compound radius thin flat neck
    - 25.5 scale length or close

Of the custom or semi customs I have seen the GNG Morgoth, Mayones Regius 7 and Skervesen 7 look cool and worth trying out. I like the cool shapes and nice tone woods of these guitars and ones like it. Not sure if ESP Custom offers decent 7 string guitars like this? I may just play it safe and get the Misha Jackson USA 7 string and save up and order a custom shop one after I've had time to try them out. I want to do a food and wine tour of Europe anyways in the future and it would be fun to visit the Vigier, Framus, Mayones, and GNG custom shops and try the guitars out and meet the luthiers too.

6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

See, now that's how you shop for a $10K guitar properly. :)

but yes, buying a 7 that's in the realm of what you think you might want is the bet idea.

Because also, people don't always want the same things on their 7s as they do on their 6s. Kiesel's necks are the same thickness if you get a 6 or 7, and I've seen lots of people say they prefer the standard necks on the 6s, but their thinner neck option on their 7s.

budda and metal4life71 like this.
  7. metal4life71

Thanks @spudmunkey yeah that would be sooo much fun and let me feed two birds with one piece of bread so to speak. I think it would be awesome way to explore the custom European builders who to me are making the most exciting guitars in the world right now as well as new jam friends overseas to rock out with. I have a bunch of different six string guitars like ESP Eclipse, Suhr Modern and Jackson Soloist as a reference point. I prefer the neck on my Jackson the best overall as it is comfortable for my hands to play leads and still do open/barr chords easily.

8. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Can confirm. I have an RG550EX, an S2170FW, an S7320 (Older 22 fret version), and have played Iron Labels, Reissue 550s, Jems, S540s, Gios, the fan fret 8 strings, the 9 string they made, Artist series, RGD, etc etc.

There's no real set "way" that an Ibanez neck is going to feel. Even the RG550EX I have and the RG550 reissue I played, though very, very similar, felt noticably different in profile. Same with the Blue Sparkle Jem I played and the VWH and the 20th Anniversary Acrylic Jem. The fact is, when you make "the same thing" for 20+ years, later ones will feel different to early ones in minor ways.

Same with Jackson. I've played Jacksons that blew me away. I've also played Jacksons that felt like trying to play with resistance bands on each finger. Both Soloists. It was super weird.

The best thing you can do, OP, is fuck the specsheet. Go to a big guitar store, make it clear that if they can put something in your hands that blows you away, you're willing to walk out with it, and just have the staff hand you guitar after guitar until you find something that really nails it for you. That's how I bought my last acoustic, and I have never once regretted buying that guitar. It was a cheap model that came together really, really right on the assembly line, and it's always been the best acoustic I've ever played, even after picking up Santa Cruz and Taylor acoustics costing literally 8 times the price.

metal4life71 likes this.
  9. metal4life71

@GuitarBizarre weird but true- I had the same experiences with guitars. Lucky for me the custom Jackson Soloist I bought unseen had a good return policy and ended up being a solid comfortable 6 string guitar for me. Costwise an Ibanez Prestige 7 string seems like an affordable one or the Misha Jackson I like and then save up and do my European trip and try out custom 7 guitars that way next year.

10. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

I can't speak for the 7s, but a 6 string Caparison TAT neck is nothing like a Jackson SL1. Caparison uses a very pronounced D shape and Jackson is more like a Fender C shape.

Mayones is definitely worth checking out if you like Jackson's feel. The body is slightly bigger. Padalka is excellent too. But the queue... A used Rico Jr would be good if you find one from before the Black Friday QC nightmare.

I played a bunch of guitars at the boutique showcase. I was not very impressed by Oni or GNG for their prices. An Aristrides(?) I played was solid if you like the aesethics. Skervesen and Strandberg require playing due to their different neck shapes.

I haven't played a Suhr or PRS 7, but both would be reasonable to search for in USA.

metal4life71 likes this.
  11. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

I own a strandberg boden original 7 and a custom Wood Guerilla FAB 7 and i can recommend both.

Strandbergs are ergonomic, light, compact and provide a lot of wrist support. It's by far the most comfortable guitar i've ever played and it inspires me a lot. It's a very special one though, you'll either love it or hate it. But be sure to try one out. Their sustain is long, the action is low, the sound is massive and versatile. it's just an all around good brand and offers custom options if you have the money.

WoodGuerilla is a custom luthier from Serbia. He's not so well known but i can vouch for his work. He makes very unique looking guitars and can pretty much just craft whatever you want. He also made the signature guitar for David Maxim Micic.
    His fretwork is quite frankly amazing. His necks are quite thin (if you like that) and his guitars just have a unique ring to them apart from having endless sustain. Honestly when you receive his instrument, you just know it's a keeper. It's a unique piece of gear that has so much character, can't play that guitar without being inspired.

metal4life71 likes this.
  12. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

I was honestly considering selling a few of my guitars for this when it was released. It’s gorgeous. Luckily I came back to my senses. 10K is way to much for a single guitar, especially for a poor grad student like myself.

metal4life71 likes this.
  13. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Sorry if my joke wasn't obvious enough. I had to think for a second or two to come up with a guitar that's above 10k USD...

metal4life71 likes this.
  14. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

Try a Mayones Duvell 7. Musicstorelive has some nice ones and if you e-mail them you can usually get a discount.

15. metal4life71

Thanks yeah I like Strandberg but all they now made in China or Indonesia and commanding high prices for those? I tried an 8 string and it was super nice. If I was to get into Meshuggah or Animals as Leaders type stuff later on, they would be on my list as well as Ibanez 8 strings. Anyways, I think that I will get a less expensive 7 string to get my chops solid on it and save up for a custom over time and try these out. One place in San Diego sells Mayones and Skeversen custom 7 strings and I can make a weekend trip down there in the future to try them out.

16. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

The non-custom Strandbergs are indeed made in Indonesia, but i can say with confidence that their quality and consistency is way above most brands i've seen that are made in USA. It shouldn't scare you off. They are quality instruments.

Mayones is really really nice though, i haven't had a bad experience with them. Though i can not say the same for Skervesen. Most peopl ei know who got Skervesen had issues with the build and have had to send their guitar back multiple times due to miscuts or other build flaws. Every guitar player i see with skervesens also seems to have this annoying fretbuzz in their sound that i can't seem to get past.

Ofcourse you don't have to take my word for it, if you find a nice Skervesen, by all means go for it. But check it thoroughly.

17. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

It makes sense to go to Pitbull Audio and try some guitars out. They also carry Strandberg, ESP, Schecter, .... and other seven string brands in additon to Mayones and Skervesen. You really won't know until you play one what you may or may not like.

18. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

People used to go to guitar stores to try guitars.

Now they just log into a forum and ask strangers what should they throw 10k in without even playing it first.

Sigh.

1 - Go to a guitar store, find one you like. Buy it.
    2 - Send it to the guitar builder you want so they can clone the neck with your required specs.
    3 - Wait 2-3 years until it's built.
    4 - Play the guitar.

19. metal4life71

We don't have many decent guitar stores where I live so what you say is difficult at best.

20. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

So.... just gonna be the one to ask this... but why the heck do you need a guitar "under 10k"? Spending that much on a guitar isn't going to be one you play very often... that's mostly just something to hang on your wall.