Need help with pot

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry for asking something that might be easy to find on internet, but, I have problems with names and terms, so I actually don't know how exactly to search, so I'll make a long explaination for my problem, wil it could be said with a couple of terms (that unfortunately I don't know in English).

My volume pot is too lose.
Not loose in the meaning that is not tight on the body, nor loose in the meaning that the knob is not tight to the rotary of the pot (it's a dome knob secured with a screw).

The problem is that the volume is too sensitive and hasn't resistance/friction, so, as soon as my hand brushes it, the volume swells by at least 50%

Not even fun for violin swells because it's really too touchy and sensitive

Can I solve someway the problem or do I just have to replace the pot (which in my case would mean luthier as I don't have soldering equipment, nor any kind of practice)?

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
You could use a washer right over the body and adjust the knob so they get some friction, this until you find some time to replace the pot. Some pots to tighten up their rotation when tightened stronger against the guitar's body, but I think that in you situation it had wear out. Is it scratchy sounding?

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I would just replace it. The issue is that there are loads of pots out there with different feel and the feel of them is rarely advertised, other than the bourns frictionless ones which are the opposite of what you want.

I have some CTS 1M ohm pots that have some nice resistance to turning. If only I could remember where I bought them...

GustavoGP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you like a pot with some friction (and that last a lifetime) i strongly suggest replace it with Dunlop Super Pot, these are sealed so they never need maintenance, never get scratchy. Best on market, believe me. Some high-end guitar builders/luthiers only use this pots.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: I'd just replace the pot with a better one. Audio taper, 1 megohm, make sure it's decent quality for guitar applications. Shouldn't cost much too more than a new pack of strings.

diagrammatiks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
if you want a pot that's pretty stiff but works super well. look up tocos on eBay.
Made in Taiwan or Japan. Sealed.

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You could use a washer right over the body and adjust the knob so they get some friction, this until you find some time to replace the pot. Some pots to tighten up their rotation when tightened stronger against the guitar's body, but I think that in you situation it had wear out. Is it scratchy sounding?

The pot works well and it doesn't make noise, nor static noise, perfectly silent, it's just that when I play it swells the volume
I have other guitars with the same knobs layout and only on this one the volume is "erratic"

I would just replace it. The issue is that there are loads of pots out there with different feel and the feel of them is rarely advertised, other than the bourns frictionless ones which are the opposite of what you want.

I have some CTS 1M ohm pots that have some nice resistance to turning. If only I could remember where I bought them...

Replace the pot it's not this expensive thing, I'm just thinking if it's the time to purchase some soldering equipment or doing it myself...at the same time that guitar is one I purchased to mod, one of which includes SD Triple Rings and a Perpetual Burn on the bridge, so I'm considering to wait or change all the parts together

Reaction score
The pot works well and it doesn't make noise, nor static noise, perfectly silent, it's just that when I play it swells the volume
I have other guitars with the same knobs layout and only on this one the volume is "erratic"

Replace the pot it's not this expensive thing, I'm just thinking if it's the time to purchase some soldering equipment or doing it myself...at the same time that guitar is one I purchased to mod, one of which includes SD Triple Rings and a Perpetual Burn on the bridge, so I'm considering to wait or change all the parts together

The pot's shaft may be getting loose and therefore not keeping its position/rotation, hence my suggestion to use a washer of some type on the top so it has some traction with the knob.

Nevertheless, since you're starting to think on doing those mods yourself, wait until you have all the parts with you. Those Triplshot rings are super fun and work with any 4 wire passive pickups, not just Seymour's... just pay careful attention to the leads' color codes and make the necessary adjustments. When getting a new pot, aim for a 1Mega ohms for a brighter tone.

You can get both pots and Tripleshots at the Thomann.de store.

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The pot's shaft may be getting loose and therefore not keeping its position/rotation, hence my suggestion to use a washer of some type on the top so it has some traction with the knob.

Nevertheless, since you're starting to think on doing those mods yourself, wait until you have all the parts with you. Those Triplshot rings are super fun and work with any 4 wire passive pickups, not just Seymour's... just pay careful attention to the leads' color codes and make the necessary adjustments. When getting a new pot, aim for a 1Mega ohms for a brighter tone.

You can get both pots and Tripleshots at the Thomann.de store.
1 Mega, not 500k? Didn't even knew they existed

Reaction score
Those 1 Mega Ohm pots do open the PUs' tone with more high end coming through, almost like connecting the pickups directly to jack. ALMOST. It's like taking a blanket that has been covering your cab/speaker. You can find them either in Audio/Log taper as well as linear taper at Thomann.de.

If you search at your local radio supplies shop you can find even higher values.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Actually, I saw a really clever thing Philip McKnight on YouTube recommended and tried that. Get some of that foam that comes in new pickup packages, cut a small X hole in it and put it on your volume pot shaft between the body and the knob. He says hes been doing this for years for people who want to move or remove their volume knobs. I love having my volume knob so close to the bridge pickup but I’m always slowly lowering the volume when playing on the treble strings, so I tried it and loved it. The foam will stick out of the bottom, so just trim it until it fits completely under the knob without sticking out. When you’re done you’ll have a little donut thing with an x cut in the center. A lot easier than other options...

ive only done this on the metal knurled barrel knobs, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in other ones.

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those 1 Mega Ohm pots do open the PUs' tone with more high end coming through, almost like connecting the pickups directly to jack. ALMOST. It's like taking a blanket that has been covering your cab/speaker. You can find them either in Audio/Log taper as well as linear taper at Thomann.de.

If you search at your local radio supplies shop you can find even higher values.

Do you suggest those pots for both volume and tone or only volume?
Notice that I was thinking to put a gain circuit boost in the guitar too...would it have too much signal (if it could ever be a thing to worry about :D )
I must say that I was thinking at a push-push for the gain circuit, but I suppose there are 1Mega pots with push push, and I have a radio/electronic store 3 buildings from my house, so I think I'll find something
Also, as you seem to know well the Triple Rings, is it possible to put pick-up covers when you install the Triple Rings?

Actually, I saw a really clever thing Philip McKnight on YouTube recommended and tried that. Get some of that foam that comes in new pickup packages, cut a small X hole in it and put it on your volume pot shaft between the body and the knob. He says hes been doing this for years for people who want to move or remove their volume knobs. I love having my volume knob so close to the bridge pickup but I’m always slowly lowering the volume when playing on the treble strings, so I tried it and loved it. The foam will stick out of the bottom, so just trim it until it fits completely under the knob without sticking out. When you’re done you’ll have a little donut thing with an x cut in the center. A lot easier than other options...

ive only done this on the metal knurled barrel knobs, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in other ones.
I'll give it a try for now, thanks
The knobs are like mines

Reaction score
Do you suggest those pots for both volume and tone or only volume?
Notice that I was thinking to put a gain circuit boost in the guitar too...would it have too much signal (if it could ever be a thing to worry about :D )
I must say that I was thinking at a push-push for the gain circuit, but I suppose there are 1Mega pots with push push, and I have a radio/electronic store 3 buildings from my house, so I think I'll find something
Also, as you seem to know well the Triple Rings, is it possible to put pick-up covers when you install the Triple Rings?

(...)

I'm suggesting those 1MOhm pots for Volume mainly, but they also work in tone as well. I've both solutions in my guitars. If the guitar sounds dark, then I'd use in both Vol and Tone, if not, just Vol and a 500k in tone.

Regarding the use with the boost, well, think of these 1M pots as a 3 lane highway against a 2 lane highway of the 500k pots, if that makes any sense at all. The boost will work on the speed/strength of the car not the EQ room to work with (although it is implied I guess), so I'd say they're compatible. Personally, I'd experiment first without the boost.

About 11 to 15 years ago, I'd be using push/pull or push/push pots on all my mods because of stealth-ness. However, I've been moving away from them because they can became tricky to play with, specially when performing or at rehearsals. You see, it's very easy to change the pot's position when activating its switch as well as when moving the pot one can inadvertently change the switch's position (specially if it's is the up position). If you don't mind drill some holes in the guitar or if the guitar is a testbed or a workhorse, I'd go with the mini-switches or even a freeway, depending on your actual pickup selector switch type and what you want it to do. Remind us, what guitar is this for? The Tripleshots work great with Freeway switches, together they can deliver a crazy amount of tones.

Regarding those Tripleshot rings and pickup covers, I think it depends on which covers you're going for? I also guess that if it's a Seymour Duncan pickup you'd be clear... ?

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm suggesting those 1MOhm pots for Volume mainly, but they also work in tone as well. I've both solutions in my guitars. If the guitar sounds dark, then I'd use in both Vol and Tone, if not, just Vol and a 500k in tone.

Regarding the use with the boost, well, think of these 1M pots as a 3 lane highway against a 2 lane highway of the 500k pots, if that makes any sense at all. The boost will work on the speed/strength of the car not the EQ room to work with (although it is implied I guess), so I'd say they're compatible. Personally, I'd experiment first without the boost.

About 11 to 15 years ago, I'd be using push/pull or push/push pots on all my mods because of stealth-ness. However, I've been moving away from them because they can became tricky to play with, specially when performing or at rehearsals. You see, it's very easy to change the pot's position when activating its switch as well as when moving the pot one can inadvertently change the switch's position (specially if it's is the up position). If you don't mind drill some holes in the guitar or if the guitar is a testbed or a workhorse, I'd go with the mini-switches or even a freeway, depending on your actual pickup selector switch type and what you want it to do. Remind us, what guitar is this for? The Tripleshots work great with Freeway switches, together they can deliver a crazy amount of tones.

Regarding those Tripleshot rings and pickup covers, I think it depends on which covers you're going for? I also guess that if it's a Seymour Duncan pickup you'd be clear... ?
Thanks a lot for the very detailed reply
The guitar is a white Ibanez S540
I have a friend that managed to install the preamp in it the same model, with the battery in the trem cavity
It's a guitar I purchased just to mod it, I will sand the neck to satin, do some binding with carbon fiber and the race stripes in carbon fiber, think along the lines of a Schecter Banshee GT, plus a series of electronic mods, I was thinking piezo too, but it's impossible on those saddles...will have to pick some Jackson with Floyd for that
Wouldn't mind to drill a hole for the switch, but maybe the push push on the tone could be outta the way
And yes, the pups are both SD, I want to move the currently equipped JB from the bridge to the neck, because I think it can be very interesting with the Triple Shot, and a Perpetual Burn in the bridge

Reaction score
Haha, you hit the jackpot! I have an S540 modded with those tripleshots, but that guitar has 500k Ohm pots in it. Go for flatmount Triplseshot rings, not the arched top ones. Also, install the rings with the buttons at the treble strings side, not at the bass as Seymour Duncan says, thank me later. The reasoning is that those switches stick out too much for the right hand, specially when one wants to do some chugging. Also, they'll be more vulnerable to break due to it. At the treble strings side, you can access them with your fingers as you do for the pickup selector switch AND, when installing the Hums with their north coil facing the neck, the switches will work more intuitively (imo). Both switches inside is for series, both outside is for parallel, the one outside is the active/functioning coil, which will be the corresponding position coil. Imagine you want to go from series to the neck single coil, just flip the neck switch...

There is no room for push/pull or push/push pots in the tone position, only in the volume.

Are you keeping the middle single coil? I'd suggest you Freeway blade switches, but they won't fit without some serious mods to it or to the guitar, and I have no experience here. On the other hand, since you're going for different aesthetics, maybe remove the blade switch, cover those holes and install a Freeway 3X3-05 switch to manage pickup mixing?

About the possible piezo, maybe an Edge Pro bridge since their metal inserts can be swapped with piezo elements or search for an S2020X / S2120X / S610X? Here are a few I found:

Last edited: