Need help with headless guitar idea

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by daretosoar, Oct 20, 2013.

1. daretosoar

daretosoar New Member

:idea:

This idea is fairly nuts, but I'm aware of that; no reason to protest my motives or be condescending.

I have a crappy Douglas Scope 7 string from rondo that I scalloped the fretboard on a long time ago. It's sort of a project guitar, really, and I somehow got it in my head that if I could just get this bridge 7 String Guitar Headless System > Store > Hipshot Products to replace the floyd rose then I could hold the strings down at the neck with the locking floyd rose nut and have a headless guitar. (This obviously entails sawing the headstock off)

Here is a link to the guitar that I'm modifying Douglas Scope 725 Nat Ash 7 String Guitar Natural - RondoMusic.com

I'm pretty positive that as long as I can properly fit the hipshot bridge onto the guitar then it should work, but my question is, will it be possible to fit this bridge given that the guitar has been routed for a floyd rose? I can't seem to get a good look at the hipshot bridge from the pics, and I can't see any holes or poles where it would mount into the wood. I'm positive that it would require some drilling, which I'm prepared for as well as cutting the body down to make it smaller just for fun.

Anyone know anything about this? I never use this guitar and the resale value is already close to nothing because of the scalloped fretboard and ghetto rigged floyd. (went through hell just to get it firmly blocked off)

It would be nice to turn this into a usable guitar and would be a lot of fun to tinker with. Anyone who has any idea how headless bridges are fit and has knowledge or experience on fitting fixed bridges should pipe up right away because I'm insanely curious.

:scratch:

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Nice idea. I seem to remember Floyd nuts can take full tension but I'd want to test playing long term with the strings cut at the tuners whilst tuned up to make sure.

I'm fairly sure that bridge will just be regular hipshot mount, i.e a few holes under the saddles http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/41105B.jpg

Can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to mount it, you'd probably be needing to plug the route with some new wood though.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

4. daretosoar

daretosoar New Member

So other than just the nut issue, I should be able to fit a bridge on? Ethereal, you mentioned plugging the "route" with some new wood, does that mean that I would just put some wood in the extra space where the floyd would be? What would be the reason for this?

5. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

You'd need to fill the Floyd cavities for sure. The Hipshot headless bridge is surface-mounted, and the Floyd recess would put the Hipshot bridge well below the guitar's face. The trem block is also likely close to where the headless bridge's mounting screws need to go.

It would almost be easier just to build a new body.

6. daretosoar

daretosoar New Member

Well how would I go about filling the holes? Couldn't I just put a shim of some notebook paper underneath where that little cavity is? I's not TOO deep, and I've already shimmed the neck, and could take that out to lower the fretboard so that the hipshot doesn't have to be on the very surface of the guitar, then I could lower the pickups?

Any thoughts on that?

7. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Definitely need to fill the floyd routes with blocks of wood. The bridge would be too unstable just trying to span the gap over the cavity. Trust me, you wont regret doing it right.

Heres a good tutorial on filling tremolo cavities: Check it out