Need help with good Brutal Death Metal tone w/Mesa Mini Recto.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by aBagel, Dec 28, 2019.

1. aBagel

aBagel SS.org Regular

So guys,

I’m trying to get a similar tone to what Suffocation gets live. Especially their Obscene Extreme show that took place in 2018. It’s on YouTube. Right now, my rig consists of:

A Jackson Warrior w/Emg 81/60 tuned to C#
    A Mesa Mini Rec
    An Ibanez OD808

Any input is appreciated.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

If you haven't already, read through the manual for the amp. Mesa makes really good, in-depth descriptions on how all of the controls affect one another and how to use them to get where you want to go.

A good starting point for heavy tones like that would be to set the 808 with the volume and tone maxed, gain at 0. On the amp, try starting with the gain and treble around 1:00, mids and bass each between 11:00-1:00, presence and volume to taste.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The last couple times I’ve seen Suffo play live, Terrance was using a 6505 (maybe +), and a XXX before that. He used an Engl FB100 like 10 years ago. You should be able to approximate the sound with the Recto. Just listen to ...of the dark light and dial the amp until you’re close. Bass and mids probably below 12:00, treble and gain between 12:30-2, and bring the presence up slowly to cut through, but without sounding buzzy.

4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Set amp into muddy hell and then put Boss eq pedal in fx loop - cut 60 Hz and 800 Hz.

5. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Read up on how to dial in a Recto, it will really help. I’ve found that all Mesa’s I’ve owned have a little learning curve. Totally worth reading up on.

Then get a Fortin 33 or Grind.

6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

In the video of the concert they're using 6505's and it sounds like the pretty typical sound/mids you get from those amps like the 5150 etc. I'd say what member above TheWarAgainsTime and DudeManBrother said sounds about right for a staring spot.

7. aBagel

aBagel SS.org Regular

In the video, the sound is VERY scooped. And no matter what I did, my recto just has 2 many mids. Damn I suck at dialing in Mesa’s

8. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

What cab & speakers?

9. aBagel

aBagel SS.org Regular

Mesa Lonestar 1x12 w/ A Celestion Shadowback or sth.
    I know its not the best, just cant afford to get one anytime soon.

wakjob likes this.
  10. aBagel

aBagel SS.org Regular

By the way, I’ve watched a rig rundown of Suffocation (Terrance and the other dude) and copied his exact settings for the pedal. I seem to be on the right track. However, Peavey’s have a different panel than the recto, so I couldn’t rly mimick that.

11. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Good cab...have access to an EQ pedal?
    If yes, try it upfront and in the fx loop.

12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, I would get an EQ pedal and put it in the loop. Rectos can sound much better with a little more scooping. I was doing this with my Triple and Boss GE-7 the other day. Just a little cut at 400hz and 800hz and it is like a different amp.

You can get a cheap EQ pedal for around $30. Denelectro, Behringer, Donner, Caline, etc....

EDIT: Looking at the video, the 5150 on the left appears to have a Tubescreamer and Boss GE-7 sitting on top of it.... so, they are probably doing some more scooping for that tone.

13. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Couldn't go wrong with a Peper's Pedals Dirty tree.
    Boss Metalzone in FX loop is very good with Recto. Just don't tell elitists.

Strobe and BlasphemyMadeFlesh like this.
  14. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Death Metal Dad Rock

Metal Zone dialed just right into a Marshall or Rectifier head's power amp section was the tone recipe for so many classic DM albums, bands and live rigs.

Strobe likes this.
  15. aBagel

aBagel SS.org Regular

From your name, I guess you’re talking Cryptopsy.

16. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

+1 -- an EQ in the loop can make all the difference. I use one with my 5150s and it's an "always on" pedal. Also, it's not so much 'scooping' the mids, it's about where you want the mids cut and where you want them boosted. I have a set EQ curve that rarely changes at all. I definitely cut some 400hz, but leave 800hz pretty much at zero and boost 1.6khz a little. 1.6khz is in the upper mids region, and that's where the delicious grind and aggressiveness happens. I also boost a little 100hz for that death metal thump. While I primarily play black metal, it is a tone that would be perfect for Suffocation-type tones as well. I think that EQ curve would work well with a Rectifier too.

17. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Death Metal Dad Rock

Yup, first two albums were MT-2's through Marshall head power sections, I suspect plenty of old Deicide live (where they can be seen using Rectos and pedals.) It can also be used like a boost, like Pat O'Brien (Cannibal Corpse) did right into Triple Rectos.
    Boss GE-7 is such an essential pedal I will never part with mine.

KailM likes this.
  18. aBagel

aBagel SS.org Regular

Guys, Will the Mxr 6 band eq fill the bill for me?

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Those dont have a level control, so they are more annoying. The level slider will help you balance the levels when changing the sliders.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  20. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I would go with the 10-band if you get an MXR, or a Boss GE-7. Incidentally, I bought a Boss again a few months ago (had one 20 years ago and didn't have a clue how to use an EQ at the time, so sold it) -- and I actually prefer the frequency range on the Boss over the MXR 10-band. My MXR is still on my board, but I rarely turn it on. The MXR 6-band has the same frequency range as the Boss, but no level slider, which is a handy thing to have.