Need help to choose new pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by benipetrucci, Aug 18, 2016.

1. benipetrucci

benipetrucci SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I'm Benjamin from Hungary, and I could use a little help to choose the right PUs into my guitar.
    Please, if it isn't a big problem for you, give me some advices, how or what I install into my axe.

Here is my guitar specifications:

It's a Mayones Regius 7

Body: profiled Mahagony Body with Eye Poplar Top

Construction: Neck- thru-body

Neck: 11-ply/ Maple-Mahagony-Amazokea-Wenge - 25.5" scale

Fingerboard: Ebony - 16" radius - 24 Medium Jumbo Frets

Bridge: ABM fixed bridge, strings-thru-body

Pickups: 2 Humbuckers (Seymour Duncan SH1-SH4)

I had an Ibanez PGM301 3 years ago and I really loved its sound. It had great clarity and it had a very good dynamic respond. The tone was bright, and it was great. It had just one big problem: No 7 strings version. :(

So my goal would be to get that kind of tone. :)
    What do you recommend?

Really thanks for the answers and replies! :)

Cheers,
    Ben

2. Psionic

Psionic three headed monkey

Hard to say since the construction and woods used are quite different from the ibanez to the mayones.
    The ibanez has paf pro's in it so maybe you want to take a look at the paf 7 but i dont know if they are the same specs since i remember dimarzio used different magnets in 6 and 7 string versions of their pu's.

Guess you will have to buy it based on output and manufacturer specs because you wont get the same sound out of the mayones anyways.

3. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Bareknuckle Aftermath in the bridge and a DiMarzio D-Activator in the neck. This has been the best combo for my style of playing in a mahogany body guitar. Both pickups are so unique. The D-Activator has that MusicMan style brightness to it which I love for lead tones. And the Aftermath... well that pickup SHREDS. It also has a .... load of definition (hearing individual notes in a chord). I would recommend those two, hands down.

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've got a PAF Pro in an RG similar to the PGM and while there's no direct 7 string version, I had a set of Ionizers in an RG7421XL that had a lot of similar qualities. Bright, clear, strong mids, great note definition, and super versatile. Definitely worth looking into! I loved those pickups and would still have them in one of my guitars if I hadn't traded away the XL.

5. benipetrucci

benipetrucci SS.org Regular

A lots of thanks mates, it's really helpful. I'm really considering the Ionizer set. :)