Need help on 7 string guitar (What to choose)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by skyclad, Mar 30, 2006.

1. skyclad

skyclad SS.org Regular

Hi there. I need help from you, guys. Or at least some advise.

I own Washburn WG587-V. This is the only neck profile that suits my left hand. And it was Jackson DR7T neck profile, which is comfortable too. Schekter, Ibanez, ESP and other manufacturers produces necks with profile which is simply not mine. I prefer Floyd Rose (or Kahler , but I don't know, if there is any 7-string Kahler exists at the moment), neck-through body, hum-hum configuration, mahogany, alder (alder is better) or rosewood body and quilted maple top, 25.5 scale. what guitar should i buy, to suit my need? (With neck profile close to Wasburn 587)

p.s. I thinking about brian Moore i9.7 at the moment. Bolt-on and with Wilkinson trem (unfortunetly). Is it neck profile fast and close to 587? Do you have any thoughs?

Thank you in advance

2. 006

006 BAUOOOW

First off, being a lefty is a tough profession in the 7-string world bro. I'm sure some of the resident lefty's here can help you out a lot more than I can, but I'll try.

It sounds like Jackson necks and Washburn necks are you're only comfort zones, which really narrows your choices to...well...Jackson and Washburn. Jackson makes good guitars, I just bought a $300 Rhoads V that kicks major ass, I was extremely surprised at the quality for it being only $300. Maybe you should check out Schecters again...when was the last time you played one? Maybe this time around they might seem a bit more comfortable if you played one a while back.

I tried. Good luck man, and welcome to the boards by the way, :).

~006+1

3. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

I think a Carvin 7 should be something that may interest you, plus if you don't like you can return it.

4. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Carvin's pretty much your only bet with those specs, unless there's someone in Europe that makes something like that. The new Caparison 7 might meet your needs, but I don't know about availability...

The i9.7 is a nice guitar - one of the best Korean made guitars I've played. The neck isn't Ibanez-thin, but I didin't find the profile similar to the Jackson you mention, either.

5. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

A Carvin DC727C sounds exactly like what you are looking for, but I have no idea how you'd get one over to Russia, since Carvin doesn't ship guitars directly to customers outside the USA.

6. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

You could try to get a Ran guitar, a guy on the ESP guitar forum has a bunch of them and they all seem to be very nice. They're from Poland website. They might cost a bit more, but it would be custom ... umm ... yes.

7. Mastodon

Mastodon Songs about My Cats

Whoa do copyright laws not apply to them or something? Because those are blatant beast and xplorer rip offs in their "standard" section.

8. noodles

noodles Contributor

Different country. We can't enforce US laws upon another country.

What, do you just expect us to invade another country and take it over for no real reason? We don't do shit like that in the US!

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:ugh:

What's um with Shamray? At first, I heard they were great, and now no one mentions them? They are in Moscow, I believe. ?

10. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

hmm.. Im no expert, but I believe that if he is using his left hand on the neck, then that would make him one of your kind.:agreed:

11. skyclad

skyclad SS.org Regular

Carvin has 14 radius (I don't know anything about Washburn 587 radius. It's O.K. from 1st to 12th fret. From 12th fret - slightly uncomfortable, that's one of the multiple reasons, why I want to change axe. Basswood /sounds like plywood/ and hum-single-hum is another...). Can you consider 14 radius "fast"? Is it possible to install Floyd rose on

M-m-m-m... That IS the problem. I live in Moscow, Russia. :))) (by the way, I post some tunings on forum, which are standard for Russian 7 string guitar - in "7 string tuning question" might be interesting for all of you)

They floating to nowhere, under Fender guidance... It WAS a good brand. 7-string Kelly from customshop was exellent, though

It is so. The same situation with 6-string. I think - best 6-string guitar ever - Washburn N4...
    But actually I like thery much design of brian moore guitars. That's why I looking for someone who own i9.7 to ask about its neck, mainly.

Schecter - is not for me. Pretty damn sure. As well, as Ibanez. Tried different models. Not even close.

Thank you.

Hate Japanese Ibanez necks. Very tough to play to me. I doubt, that I can call thhem "thin". Too wide, too fat. Tried many, didn't find even one suitable. can you tell me about i9.7 neck somethung else? To which neck neck of i9.7 is closest to compare?

i9.7 15.5 radius vs 14 radius of Carvin. Which one closest to 587?

If I wiill decide, that I want dc727c (licensed Floyd is awfull, 200$ plus for original Floyd Rose), I will buy it anyway. (Is it possible to install Floyd Rose on dc727, what do you think?) They won't stop me by that. Brian Moore also have no dealer in Russia. I've got 2 proposals on second-hand i9.7 at the moment ;-)

Never heard about them. What about curvature of neck? Do they have neck-through body models?

Oh, yes. I know them pretty well. Quality of workmanship is not for me. Korean Brian Moore i9.7 is better. :-(((

p.s. What about 7-string Kahler tremolo & 7-string rail (also called blades) pick-ups? Is it posibble to find?

12. jacksonplayer

You could probably install an Original Floyd Rose on a DC727, but you might have to rout the body a little, since it is cut to fit very tightly around the contours of the licensed Floyd, which has a slightly different shape than the Original Floyd. I just got a DC747 (no trem, though, I don't use them anymore), and I love the neck on it, though I can't really compare it to the guitars you like.

There is no 7-string Kahler tremolo, sorry. Even the 6-string models only recently went back into production after a hiatus of several years, and I doubt that the company, which is very small, plans to create an entirely new model, which a 7-string version would have to be.

I don't know of any 7-string blade pickups, either. Anyone else here ever seen one?

13. noodles

noodles Contributor

You can get a 7-string Kahler...

...if you feel like paying ther $650 custom shop cost.

14. guitarjitsumaster

guitarjitsumaster seven times seven

The new X2n 7. Kinda more like bars then blades but it has that same look

15. skyclad

skyclad SS.org Regular

I mean DC747 with no trem at all, not dc747c. Install original floyd instead of fixed bridge...

Damn it!!! What about custom pick-ups7 Is it possible to find 7-string analog of my favorite blade Bill Lawrence L-500?

blades=rails Who made X2n 7?

16. jacksonplayer

You could do that, but it would be a lot easier to just get the "c" model, which is already fully routed for the trem, and do a slight modification to fit the contours of the Original Floyd. You'd have to do major modifications to a non-trem guitar, and I don't see why you'd bother with that if you can get one that's already routed for a trem.

BTW, I didn't know about the DiMarzio X2N-7. That's way cool and exactly what you are looking for. I don't think Bill Lawrence is set up to do 7-string pickups, but it couldn't hurt to ask him.

17. skyclad

skyclad SS.org Regular

Hell... But if I ever will buy guitar for some 5000$, it will be with Kahler. :)

18. skyclad

skyclad SS.org Regular

Found that opinion in internet, can put here link. Later...

19. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I guess the big question is: How much do you really want to spend? If you want neck-thru, compound radius board, real Floyd, with custom PUs (Lawrence won't make 7 string L-500XLs, I already asked), you might as well be calling Jackson, since right out of the box they have almost all the options you want, and you *should* like the neck profile, since it's as close to a Soloist as a 7 string can be. However, you're looking at $3500 US, plus shipping and customs.

On the question about the i9.7, I played it several years ago, but I'd say the curve is *similar* to the Washburn Sonic 7 I have, but not quite as "D" shaped - and the distance from the fingerboard to the back of the neck is shallower. How that compares to the 587, I don't know...

20. skyclad

skyclad SS.org Regular

Guess so. Can't spend that amount at the moment. I/m looking for second-hand in good condition (pick-up is not important, configuration hum-hum, 3-way toggle switch is desirable), something around 1000-1500$

Sonic 7 neck curvature is not like 587?

I need shallow neck, not too wide. Can you say, that i9.7 is something like that? What about wilkinson tremolo (I mean on Korean one)?